New FS Viewer...6.4.13...Looks Like BLEEEEEEEP!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1099 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 minutes ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

You might want join the inworld group and ask this the folks there will be able to direct you to the right help

The only real issue i've noticed since upgrading to EEP is my FPS has tanked to less than half what it was on the last pre-EEP viewer

That seems to be the biggest complaint from the non-photographers :D.    It won't affect ME now (or more correctly it won't be an issue) with the new super spiffy (apparently top 2 percent of computers according to Speccy ^^) machine but it certainly has hit folks hard.

I WILL say that The Lab solved a much worse but similar issue in Sansar so I believe they will be able to - if they so choose - to get the fps back up again on par with pre EEP.     Fingers crossed. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

FS used to have a screen similar with "to do" and "to go to" types of things.  I don't remember when that stopped.   

It didn't. It's still there.  Unless they removed the dropdown in the last release.

firestorm-login-screen.png

https://danielvoyager.wordpress.com/2019/02/20/new-firestorm-viewer-6-0-2-56680-available/

Yes I swiped Daniel's image because I don't have any viewers installed on this laptop and it wasn't worth the time to do an install and screencap for this. This was faster anyway. lol

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

It didn't. It's still there.  Unless they removed the dropdown in the last release.

firestorm-login-screen.png

https://danielvoyager.wordpress.com/2019/02/20/new-firestorm-viewer-6-0-2-56680-available/

Yes I swiped Daniel's image because I don't have any viewers installed on this laptop and it wasn't worth the time to do an install and screencap for this. This was faster anyway. lol

Yup, its still there.. 

d0b38b0860f4ec94549a336c7a633d9c.png

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

"I" meant with the pretty pictures --- that are now gone .

After seeing how cluttered LL's login page looks compared to FS, I'm kind of glad FS no longer supports them. Too much on my screen all at once means I won't be looking very closely, if at all. Time might be a companion on this journey we call life but it's still stalking us at the end of the day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

After seeing how cluttered LL's login page looks compared to FS, I'm kind of glad FS no longer supports them. Too much on my screen all at once means I won't be looking very closely, if at all. Time might be a companion on this journey we call life but it's still stalking us at the end of the day.

I rarely wait around for it even to load before I'm logged in.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

I rarely wait around for it even to load before I'm logged in.

I love seeing the pictures and it makes me excited LOL, but then EDITOR'S PICKS is one of my favorites things and is my main de-stress time during COVID.  I can go to the those amazing builds and forget about real life completely for awhile as those often take me some place else.  I love surrealism too and Editor's Picks often feature surrealistic builds.    

Edited by FairreLilette

On 4/6/2021 at 2:01 PM, FairreLilette said:

It's in the hardware area of the GRAPHICS.  I believe this is something to do with the fact I have AMD and not Intel or something like that and I have to change something but I don't know what.  Also, my groups are timing out or message says it cannot connect except for one group upon start and then one group I was able to connect but I have super active groups, hundreds of messages a day.   

Screenshot (197).png

The "512" you are referring to is not the same 512 in the settings you posted. The 512 in textures is 512(square) pixels. Which FS does not limit textures to. The 512 in the hardware settings is 512 MB. It limits the amount of resources your systems uses for textures as a whole. It doesn't limit the size of the textures to anything less than what SL allows which I believe is 2048 now.

However I have noticed issues with the new version as well. Whenever I turn off Ultra for whatever reason like say if I am in a crowded sim or have multiple accounts on at once I find that the lights and shadows don't full reactivate when I switch back to Ultra. In fact the only time it fixes itself back is when I log out and onto Black Dragon then switch back to Firestorm.

Edited by Finite

8 minutes ago, Finite said:

The "512" you are referring to is not the same 512 in the settings you posted. The 512 in textures is 512(square) pixels. Which FS does not limit textures to. The 512 in the hardware settings is 512 MB. It limits the amount of resources your systems uses for textures as a whole. It doesn't limit the size of the textures to anything less than what SL allows which I believe is 2048 now.

Thanks, yes I found that out...it's not the texture limit set at 512 that was causing my problems and I can render larger textures than 512.  My problem centers around my older AMD graphics card as it does not update and it's integrated whatever that means.  Certain AMD GPU's can update for certain games but not older ones like I have.  At least I think this is the deal so far, no update for my GPU, it's not updateable.   If you look at my second post on page one I was mainly looking for a possible bug solver for AMD and EEP which I thought there was but possibly not for my older one.  So, I plan to go to Catznip viewer until I can sort this all out and get a new GPU. 

Edited by FairreLilette

7 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Thanks, yes I found that out...it's not the texture limit set at 512 that was causing my problems and I can render larger textures than 512.  My problem centers around my older AMD graphics card as it does not update and it's integrated whatever that means.  Certain AMD GPU's can update for certain games but not older ones like I have.  At least I think this is the deal so far, no update for my GPU, it's not updateable.   If you look at my second post on page one I was mainly looking for a possible bug solver for AMD and EEP which I thought there was but possibly not for my older one.  So, I plan to go to Catznip viewer until I can sort this all out and get a new GPU. 

You might want to read here.  Some of the settings will refer to people with older computers and cards.

https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/preferences_display_tab

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

My problem centers around my older AMD graphics card does not update and it's integrated whatever that means.  

It means that your graphics card is using RAM memory as video memory. Ideally you'd want your graphics card to have its own dedicated memory. Especially nowadays with there being more and more demand on graphics memory. Graphic cards can be expensive but even the older ones are still good so you could probably find a decent one at a decent price. I'd bet a geforce 780 would still be fine. 1060s or 1080s work fine too.

23 minutes ago, Finite said:

I'd bet a geforce 780 would still be fine. 1060s or 1080s work fine too.

I don't know about right now...there is crazy price gouging going on right now for many reasons - COVID, bitcoin to name a couple.  Hopefully, the card and chip mess will end in the coming few months.  Twelve hundred dollars for a graphics card.  No, not me.  lol  Some are going for three thousand dollars.  

Screenshot (269).png

Edited by FairreLilette

5 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I don't know about right now...there is crazy price gouging going on right now for many reasons - COVID, bitcoin to name a couple.  Hopefully, the card and chip mess will end in the coming few months.  Twelve hundred dollars for a graphics card.  No, not me.  lol  Some are going for three thousand dollars.  

Screenshot (269).png

Ya can blame bitcoin mining for that. But its also why video cards have been advancing a lot lately. So its catch 22. Newegg.com has some cheap ones. I've been using them off and on since like 2004. But most of the cheap ones seem to be sold out.

On 4/6/2021 at 2:14 PM, Chic Aeon said:

As the Firestorm folks say it is ALWAYS GOOD TO BACKUP YOUR SETTINGS -- and then restore them on the newer version. If you do that you have NO issue. I have been doing that for years now :D.  Life is much simpler.

question, is there a place in Firestorm to back up the settings onto my PC? if so, where? i have looked for ages, and i cannot find it. let me know. thanks.

15 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Screenshot (269).png

I bought this one for my wife to replace her AMD card that died. It works just fine on mid levels and then Ultra high for pictures. She has blender running in the background most of the time as she is making things while on the beta grid. 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pny-geforce-gt-710-2gb-pci-express-2-0-graphics-card-black/5092306.p?skuId=5092306 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

I bought this one for my wife to replace her AMD card that died. It works just fine on mid levels and then Ultra high for pictures. She has blender running in the background most of the time as she is making things while on the beta grid. 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pny-geforce-gt-710-2gb-pci-express-2-0-graphics-card-black/5092306.p?skuId=5092306 

Thanks!  My brother-in-law worked for Canon Copiers for years and has built computers in his spare time for years and years, so he is the one I will go to replace this if he agrees, that is.   He has his own busy business now so it will depend if he can or not.    

But, do you know if I will need that item to the right that says 'you may need this too'?  Did your wife need that?  

Screenshot (271).png

Edited by FairreLilette

29 minutes ago, Iggy UwU said:

question, is there a place in Firestorm to back up the settings onto my PC? if so, where? i have looked for ages, and i cannot find it. let me know. thanks.

Backup  tab :D  

Make a path and BACKUP. Then when you install the new viewer you RESTORE from the same place.  I think you still need to log in once and then restore (that is not from the Preference Tab before logging in).  They may have changed that now; I just do it the way that worked previously :D.

image.thumb.png.c987592734b2d9c5cdebe1a4ab66788c.png

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

Yeah that ^^^^ 

I took two screenshots of the LL viewer...1st one - does it look a bit "murky"?  

Screenshot (266).png

Screenshot (267).png

I've got a 10 bpc display. Can't see a blind bit of difference between the 2.

1 hour ago, Finite said:

Correct, the max Firestorm will allow you to use (VRAM wise) is 4096, depending on how much VRAM your GPU has. Other viewers allow you to use more, but that's the current cap for FS.

25 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Thanks!  My brother-in-law worked for Canon Copiers for years and has built computers in his spare time for years and years, so he is the one I will go to replace this if he agrees, that is.   He has his own busy business now so it will depend if he can or not.    

But, do you know if I will need that item to the right that says 'you may need this too'?  Did your wife need that?  

Screenshot (271).png

If you can, see if you can source a GTX 770 (4 GB) or a 780 (6 GB) as these would be slightly faster. But that should work just fine if you're just looking for something to tide you over until the shortages end.

Ignore the 'you may need this too'. TLDR; if you're computer's working fine right now, and you're just upgrading your GPU then you shouldn't need that. Double check with your brother-in-law to make sure the GPU will be compatible with your PC before you buy though!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jenna Huntsman said:

I've got a 10 bpc display. Can't see a blind bit of difference between the 2.

I use a 19" flat screen monitor.  It's a world of difference in viewing SL.  At least those are not too expensive right now as I just looked at the prices.  lol  I hope this price gouging dies off soon.  There's sharks in this card business now and I don't like dealing with that kind of situation.  

1 minute ago, FairreLilette said:

I use a 19" flat screen monitor.  It's a world of difference in viewing SL.  At least those are not too expensive right now as I just looked at the prices.  lol  I hope this price gouging dies off soon.  There's sharks in this card business now and I don't like dealing with that kind of situation.  

Yeah, thankfully.

(sorry, not sure if you caught my drift, but 10 bpc represent the colour depth of the display - higher being better. Most consumer monitors are either 6bpc + FRC (emulated 8 bit) or 8bpc (native 8bit) - 10bpc is used for professional applications, and by *some* HDR monitors. but TLDR; if there was a difference, I'd have seen it)

18 minutes ago, Jenna Huntsman said:

Yeah, thankfully.

(sorry, not sure if you caught my drift, but 10 bpc represent the colour depth of the display - higher being better. Most consumer monitors are either 6bpc + FRC (emulated 8 bit) or 8bpc (native 8bit) - 10bpc is used for professional applications, and by *some* HDR monitors. but TLDR; if there was a difference, I'd have seen it)

No (meaning I don't know anything about computers), but to me the first photo does look foggy or a bit murky to me.

But, this, that I just found, looks like it would be for me because I'd love a bigger screen:  I don't know much about this graphic card though....

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-pavilion-all-in-one-27-d0240t?source=igodigital

Edited by FairreLilette

At one point we were hoping the machine had a dedicated graphics card but had somehow lost its wits and switched over to the integrated graphics system, some version of which is included on every common motherboard. The idea was that the formerly acceptable experience in an older version of Firestorm could be explained by having used that dedicated graphics card.

If we're now convinced that the machine never even had a dedicated graphics card, somebody would need to do a little more homework to make sure it could handle one. I'm thinking power supply, case cooling,... even what kind of expansion slots are available on this motherboard.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1099 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.