New FS Viewer...6.4.13...Looks Like BLEEEEEEEP!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1068 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

New FS viewer 6.4.13 looks like BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!  

Textures only go up to 512 and it looks terrible no matter what I do.

Groups don't seem to be connecting either as I normally have very, very active groups and for the past half an hour, only 1 group is going through.  Do I need to start connecting to my groups by starting a chat?

Also, if newbies rez this way and start at 512 and not know they can change it, it's gonna look terrible and they probably won't want to buy stuff.

And, especially my hair looks terrible starting out this way, and it is a texture I made at 512.  But, all the rest looks terrible too.  I'm in my own hair I made now but when I started the viewer it was a hair with a major brand in SL and that looked terrible, just terrible too.

Edited by FairreLilette

15 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Where are you seeing textures only going up to 512?  I'm looking at a texture I made that's 1024x1024.

It's in the hardware area of the GRAPHICS.  I believe this is something to do with the fact I have AMD and not Intel or something like that and I have to change something but I don't know what.  Also, my groups are timing out or message says it cannot connect except for one group upon start and then one group I was able to connect but I have super active groups, hundreds of messages a day.   

Screenshot (197).png

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

It's in the hardware area of the GRAPHICS.  I believe this is something to do with the fact I have AMD and not Intel or something like that and I have to change something but I don't know what.  Also, my groups are timing out or message says it cannot connect.   

Screenshot (197).png

That is texture memory limit. The memory limit is based off the maximum that your graphics card can hold. You can still see textures that are up to 1024x1024, just it is limited to how much can be in the video memory at once.

As for group chats, that is a Linden Lab issue and is something that is out of our control.

Edited by Chaser Zaks
  • Like 2

Just now, Chaser Zaks said:

That is texture memory limit. The memory limit is based off the maximum that your graphics card can hold.

You can still see textures that are up to 1024x1024, just it is limited to how much can be in the video memory at once.

I downloaded the FS viewer previous to this one and I need to do something so I can up that 512 number to 2048.  I need to know what I need to change as I forgot.  It has something to do with the fact I have AMD.  I think it's something in a water setting or something.  If I don't up it, it's going to look like crap.  Mine has always said 2048, except for these new viewers there is something I need to change because of AMD.  FS group is not going through at this time.  

Just now, FairreLilette said:

I downloaded the FS viewer previous to this one and I need to do something so I can up that 512 number to 2048.  I need to know what I need to change as I forgot.  It has something to do with the fact I have AMD.  I think it's something in a water setting or something.  If I don't up it, it's going to look like crap.  Mine has always said 2048, except for these new viewers there is something I need to change because of AMD.  FS group is not going through at this time.  

Talking with the rest of the team, it is possible you downloaded the 32-bit version which is capped at 512. You'll need to get the 64-bit version to go above 512. You can try a re-install to install the 64-bit version instead(I'd recommend probably uninstalling the 32-bit version first): https://www.firestormviewer.org/choose-your-platform/

If you can't figure out which version you are using, you can post your environment string and I'll take a look at it. You can find that here: 

image.png.538fda0776efdc803aae3297a8db1faa.png

There's probably a debug setting for that. I had a similar problem with an AMD card and I don't know what fixed it, it just started working again one day. 

Just a quick look at FS debug settings FSDisableAMDTextureMemoryCheck or FSATIFullTextureMem may have something to do with it. Or you could see if you can set the texture memory manually. The debug setting TextureMemory does that. Maybe as simple as resetting graphics to default settings.

Oh, this is not computer advice, and I deny all knowledge if you ***** up your computer messing with debug settings. 

Edited by Lyssa Greymoon
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

I had a similar problem with an AMD card and I don't know what fixed it, it just started working again one day. 

There is Lyssa, there is an AMD fix for this bug but I cannot remember it either.  There is a place that needs changing which frees the texture memory buffer.  I don't need a 64-bit download, this is the 64-bit download for people with AMD.  People with AMD, must change something but I cannot remember now.  

7 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

There is Lyssa, there is an AMD fix for this bug but I cannot remember it either.  There is a place that needs changing which frees the texture memory buffer.  I don't need a 64-bit download, this is the 64-bit download for people with AMD.  People with AMD, must change something but I cannot remember now.  

There's no bug. If you want more texture memory, you need to use the 64-bit version. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, Willow Wilder said:

There's no bug. If you want more texture memory, you need to use the 64-bit version. 

Error with my previous post, so removed.  

I just checked and did a screenshot...it is the 64-bit version.  See screenshot.

Screenshot (199) 64.png

Edited by FairreLilette

32 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

@FairreLilette: The above is a section taken directly out of Lyssa's response to you. You might want to try that first debug setting.

Okay, done, thank you both.  Seems a little better but I also did get through to FS support inworld - they think I need a driver update perhaps.  But, now, my linden balance is missing several thousands lindens.  Scary, scary bugs.  

Ok, re-log returned my lindens to their full amount.   Still doesn't look quite as nice as the previous viewer...I have sort of static "marching ants" effect like not fully stabilized or something.  Difficult to explain.  

Edited by FairreLilette

13 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Ok, re-log returned my lindens to their full amount.   Still doesn't look quite as nice as the previous viewer...I have sort of static "marching ants" effect like not fully stabilized or something.  Difficult to explain.  

Akin to old school CRT TV "noise"?

I did finally update to the latest firestorm viewer.  The only thing I noticed and I found the answer here was that the camera offset debut settings don't carry over even though I backed up settings.  Resetting the camera.position for front and rear views was easy enough to figure out so I'm all set.  I haven't really bothered with the EEP settings.  I just set an environment for myself as I did with windlights.

2 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

As the Firestorm folks say it is ALWAYS GOOD TO BACKUP YOUR SETTINGS -- and then restore them on the newer version. If you do that you have NO issue. I have been doing that for years now :D.  Life is much simpler.

Okay, Chic wasn't sure what BACK UP SETTINGS were for.  I assumed all these years it was for people who had windlight settings on their sim.  Now, I don't use windlight except for photography but I don't use any presets...I used to use the slider in Quick Prefs (which is gone now) to adjust whatever windlight I might want for a photograph.  Otherwise, I was MIDDAY all the rest or most of the time for building as MIDDAY seems the only light I can build in.  So, I look at BACK UP SETTINGS and it needs a path.  Where can I find this path?  Also, Chic in the thread that appeared when the first EEP viewer came out (a thread back in December), didn't you say all textures are now shiny or something like that?  Is that what is causing those "marching ant" like lines on the mesh?  It looks terrible.  Even my newer mesh has these lines.  I think it may be coming from "shiny".  Perhaps making bump map and shiny separate needs to be added into the viewer 'if' possible.  

1 hour ago, Solar Legion said:

Akin to old school CRT TV "noise"?

Yes, and see above about "shiny".  I think it may be coming from shiny something.  I'm not really sure though but I remember Chic saying something about "shiny".  It's not a good look that's for sure.  I'm still messing around with it but I truly did like the other viewer better both for building due to no "marching ant" like lines as well as the slider to adjust the windlights that was in the Quick Preferences area.

Here is about backup and restore which saves ALMOST ALL your settings so you don't have to go through all the preferences again. It doesn't save everything but a lot.  You will lose your Windlight settings when installing an EEP viewer. You can upload them and turn them into EEP (some work better than others.

https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/backup_settings#:~:text=Go%20to%20Preferences%20%E2%86%92%20Backup,computer%2C%20specifically%20for%20Firestorm%20backups.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

Groups don't seem to be connecting either as I normally have very, very active groups and for the past half an hour, only 1 group is going through.  Do I need to start connecting to my groups by starting a chat?

Groups is server side, relogging to a different region can help get things going again. Manually joining groups can help, or not ... YMMV.

L$ balance is the same, doesn't mean anything is wrong with your L$, just means your viewer doesn't know how many you have ... because either the server didn't tell it or it missed the message. Again, go to a different region and relog.

KARA is a good region for this kind of thing - it's a full mainland sim that is entirely Linden owned and practically empty, it's also easy to remember.

10 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

And, especially my hair looks terrible starting out this way, and it is a texture I made at 512.  But, all the rest looks terrible too.  I'm in my own hair I made now but when I started the viewer it was a hair with a major brand in SL and that looked terrible, just terrible too.

Textures loading, getting discarded and then loading again is the main symptom of low texture memory. It shouldn't make things look noticeably worse or different. If things look rough, jaggy or washed out, double check your main gfx settings haven't changed (like ALM). With everything else you're describing, looking like a driver issue.

While you're waiting on this to be sorted out, drop your draw distance - less stuff to load, less texture memory needed.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

If things look rough, jaggy or washed out, double check your main gfx settings haven't changed (like ALM). With everything else you're describing, looking like a driver issue.

Yeah, looks jaggy and washed out in certain lightings.  I will check what you mention above.  The FS support team also recommend for me to update my drivers.  I'm gonna do that and see how it goes.

EEP, I'm just not crazy about and would have been better as an optional viewer because building is paramount to SL.  Looks better if I tick bump map and shiny OFF as it's too shiny and most creator's don't even use shiny maps at all but then I miss out on the bump maps.  Shiny is mostly for skin and make-up I'd say.  Many creators use bump maps but not shiny maps.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, FairreLilette said:

Yeah, looks jaggy and washed out in certain lightings.  I will check what you mention above.  The FS support team also recommend for me to update my drivers.  I'm gonna do that and see how it goes.

EEP, I'm just not crazy about and would have been better as an optional viewer because building is paramount to SL.  Looks better if I tick bump map and shiny OFF as it's too shiny and most creator's don't even use shiny maps at all but then I miss out on the bump maps.  Shiny is mostly for skin and make-up I'd say.  Many creators use bump maps but not shiny maps.  

EEP is a LL decision. Dont blame the FS team for that. 

Why is it that people angry rant over new viewers when they have no idea what the different settings do? My first action would have been to ask in the inworld group for help, not here. 

Always keep your graphic card drivers up to date. 

Many creators DO use Normal and Specular maps. Specular (what you call shiny) is used in mesh clothing and objects as well. 

On 4/6/2021 at 2:09 PM, FairreLilette said:

Oh, hang on...hang on....let me read the FS blog and see if I can find what I need to change. 

You should always read the blog to see what is in each viewer and how to use them.

On 4/6/2021 at 2:09 PM, FairreLilette said:

But, still if newbies rez like this...yuck!  

Newbies are logging in with the official SL viewer, not FS.. And every PC will have different settings out of the gate for the viewers. It depends on your graphics card, memory and motherboard. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

My first action would have been to ask in the inworld group for help, not here.

My groups were not connecting if you read the OP.

1 hour ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Many creators DO use Normal and Specular maps. Specular (what you call shiny) is used in mesh clothing and objects as well. 

Clothing maybe as I would not know as most are copy only.  Specular for mesh copy/mod items such as furniture, no.  Bump maps yes, specular no.  I even just checked my APPLE FALL stuff, no specular/shinies.  I used to sell re-sale Gachas and have seen quite a varied lot of mesh and most do not use spec/shiny; again bump maps yes, shiny no.  I don't just say stuff for no reason.  Check some of your mesh stuff that is copy and modify and let me know what speculars you see.  It's the HD stuff that is mostly using the shiny, skins and make-ups.  And, I just checked several news hairs I bought from Monso, no specular.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

My groups were not connecting if you read the OP.

Clothing maybe as I would not know as most are copy only.  Specular for mesh copy/mod items such as furniture, no.  Bump maps yes, specular no.  I even just checked my APPLE FALL stuff, no specular/shinies.  I used to sell re-sale Gachas and have seen quite a varied lot of mesh and most do not use spec/shiny; again bump maps yes, shiny no.  I don't just say stuff for no reason.  Check some of your mesh stuff that is copy and modify and let me know what speculars you see.  It's the HD stuff that is mostly using the shiny, skins and make-ups.  And, I just checked several news hairs I bought from Monso, no specular.  

Your groups not connecting is a SL issue, not a viewer one. 

I have tons of furniture that has specular maps. Not sure why you would think hair would have one. You do also realize that if you dont have Advanced lighting on you wont see the specular effects, right? 

47 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

You do also realize that if you dont have Advanced lighting on you wont see the specular effects, right? 

Yes, of course.  But, you are not helping.  I have a marching ants issue and I believe it's coming from the shiny as the bump and the shiny are together which I believe is a huge mistake.  I want the bump maps on but not the shiny but my only option is to turn off both now.  And, could you please not talk down to people, it's not nice nor warranted.  I've checked almost all my items and I have tons and there are no specular maps in there.  Speculars are for the shiny skins and make-ups out now - the HD stuff - but most builders have not been using speculars.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1068 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.