store hunts

xBaeBeex

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1102 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

are there any huds or something to add to yourself to easily find items in store for hunts? i know it defeats the purpose, but would save time lol..

I'm not talking about "area search" i already know how to do that.. i was curious if theres anything on the market for this..?

thank you !

Considering that there are zillions of hunts with ever changing hunt objects and that you got such friendly fellows of the "thou shalt not get my item!" who rename, make it mini-mini-extra-small and who drop a million items to disguise the real one, your chances are probably slim.

Area search is your most versatile tool in that regard.

• Like 3

Back in my early days, circa 2007, maybe before Area Search - or at least before I knew about it - I picked up an item called Treasure Hut Radar.  It will search for "partial" or "exact" names of items - however the 'exact' function is case sensitive, so that sometimes will trip you up.  You have to specify a TYPE, which is one of: Passive, Active, Scripted.  The TYPE is somewhat confusing and often I had to cycle through them.  You also have to select a search distance, which goes from 5m to 90m.  Similar to Area Search, it can 'camera zoom' you to the location, and it also provides a few different ways to TP to the item. 

Probably the only aspect of that hunt radar that is superior to Area Search is that it can give you a Map Beacon to the object.  i.e. If you click 'beacon' for a find, it will pull up the map and set the location so that the normal red map beacon shows.  This is very helpful in areas where TP routing is in effect, preventing you from TPing directly to the object.  The beacon is specific to a single occurrence of an item.  Whereas the Area Search beacons will be displayed for all occurrences at once - and the Area Search beacons can be difficult to pinpoint the actual location.

The person that created it is no longer in SL and the item is not in the MP.

If you search the MP for terms like 'hunt helper', 'hunt radar', etc.. you might find some stuff.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

A trick that I often make use of when taking part in a hunt is to enable wireframe mode (CTRL + SHIFT + R). This is handy if the store has renamed the items (or if they've been particularly devious and renamed parts of the store itself with the hunt object name, such as walls or pillars or display units) so that Area Search is less effective.

Most stores will have a hunt board near their entrance or lobby that shows you the item you're looking for. Enable wireframe to get an idea of what it looks like (pay attention to density of polygons as well as specific colours) and then begin camming around the store while still in wireframe.

It's useful to have good 'cam-fu' if you try this, as - if the store is cluttered with bits and pieces of decor - it can be tricky to suss out what might be a hunt object or not. For ground floor levels, angle your camera at the ground and move your camera along systematically from side to side, so you don't have the wireframe of any upper floors cluttering the view. For upper floors, cam up instead.

Once you find an object, come out of wireframe and look closely for it in normal mode, and you'll usually spot it fairly quickly.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 1

One of the best tricks for hunts -- excluding the Twisted hunt - is to check the hunt item at the poster to see who the creator is.  Most of the time, doing an area search for that creator will give you the hunt object. -- as long as you aren't actually at the creator's store.  Sometimes, you'll encounter a store where they have linked their own prim to the hunt object, thus making them the creator, but not many stores do that.

• Like 1

Area Search is the best way to quickly find group gifts and hunt items. The fun part is figuring out what word to search for and how to filter for exactly what you're looking for. This can be especially challenging on the Twisted Hunt, but a challenge is what makes Twisted fun. Normally though, just try searching on "Gift", "Group", "Prize" and right now on "Egg". Once you find one hunt item, you'll then know what it's called and who made it, to further restrict your search.

On 4/4/2021 at 9:44 PM, Persephone Emerald said:

Area Search is the best way to quickly find group gifts and hunt items. The fun part is figuring out what word to search for and how to filter for exactly what you're looking for. This can be especially challenging on the Twisted Hunt, but a challenge is what makes Twisted fun. Normally though, just try searching on "Gift", "Group", "Prize" and right now on "Egg". Once you find one hunt item, you'll then know what it's called and who made it, to further restrict your search.

I have found 7 prizes from The Twisted Hunt, and now I understand why it is no gallery with images of the prizes. Maybe I am spoiled, but god almighty, one of the prizes I would not bother to take if it was placed out in the middle of the store. It was also the store with the most decoys, and the one I spent most time in, of the ones I have done so far.

Of the 7 I got was:

1: OHMYGOD I love it and it was well worth the time! It was also a store without decoys, reasonably well hidden and the merchant had an image on Flickr, so I saw it was worth my time.

2: Pretty. I am glad I was looking for it. I would probably gone for it, if I had seen what I was before I hunted.

3-6: Fine, some would love it, but I have similar things much better quality. I would skip them.

7: I spent a lot of time looking for this, I would never done that if I saw it first.

With so many disappointments, I am reluctant to look for more.

• Like 2

On 4/4/2021 at 5:15 PM, xBaeBeex said:

are there any huds or something to add to yourself to easily find items in store for hunts? i know it defeats the purpose, but would save time lol..

I'm not talking about "area search" i already know how to do that.. i was curious if theres anything on the market for this..?

I'm sure if you went to the marketplace and typed "hunt" in search and restricted it to "gadgets" you'd find something that would let you type part of a prim's name in chat and get a teleport link to its location.

:)

6 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I have found 7 prizes from The Twisted Hunt, and now I understand why it is no gallery with images of the prizes. Maybe I am spoiled, but god almighty, one of the prizes I would not bother to take if it was placed out in the middle of the store. It was also the store with the most decoys, and the one I spent most time in, of the ones I have done so far.

Of the 7 I got was:

1: OHMYGOD I love it and it was well worth the time! It was also a store without decoys, reasonably well hidden and the merchant had an image on Flickr, so I saw it was worth my time.

2: Pretty. I am glad I was looking for it. I would probably gone for it, if I had seen what I was before I hunted.

3-6: Fine, some would love it, but I have similar things much better quality. I would skip them.

7: I spent a lot of time looking for this, I would never done that if I saw it first.

That was actually pretty good results for 7 items - to only really hate one item, with another 4 being so-so okay.  Many of the hunts out there, I will like 1-2 items out of a couple dozen.

The hunts that I like the best are the ones that show the prizes on the hint & slurl page.  That makes it so much easier to target where I hunt.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

thankyou so much all for getting back to me, I read each of your replies. I have tried doing the marketplace hunt thing, theres little to nothing, area search seems my best shot, but Skell, You did teach me somethin new! I did not know about this trick, so I'll use it for sure in future sales, even just to try it out. thanks again everyone ! 

On 4/10/2021 at 8:18 AM, Marianne Little said:

Of the 7 I got was:

My usual experience in hunts is one "love it" item out of 30, and the other 29 straight to trash. That's why I never do hunts any more. I would rather just pay normal price for that one thing instead of wasting my time hunting for the rubbish.

• Like 2

On 4/10/2021 at 4:00 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

That was actually pretty good results for 7 items - to only really hate one item, with another 4 being so-so okay.  Many of the hunts out there, I will like 1-2 items out of a couple dozen.

The hunts that I like the best are the ones that show the prizes on the hint & slurl page.  That makes it so much easier to target where I hunt.

Saying so-so was that someone without a well stuffed inventory would have use for them. I doubt I will. But I have to say it was not rubbish, just plain stuff that's gifts or cheapies all over the grid.

On 4/12/2021 at 9:31 AM, Maitimo said:

My usual experience in hunts is one "love it" item out of 30, and the other 29 straight to trash. That's why I never do hunts any more. I would rather just pay normal price for that one thing instead of wasting my time hunting for the rubbish.

God yes, I have stopped doing hunts because of that. It was the first super quality item I saw the creator posted on Flickr, that made me think the hunt was all quality. Lord shall know that The Twisted Hunt tries to pretend it is special. If they posted images of the prices, people would go to one or two stores, and nothing more. I found what I was looking for rather quick, so the hunt is not impossible. Even the store that had invisible decoys all under the floor, on the roof and on windowsills, was not unbreakable. It was the store with the item I hated. Not "sandy" color, not djinn or arabic themed. A super ugly four poster bed with skulls on top of each post. Plain textures on the fabrics, no folds or shades or anything arabic motif.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 1

I peruse the SL Hunts website every month and typically check out the websites of the various hunts for that month.  I much prefer the ones that post pictures of the hunt item for each store -- really wish they all would.  Some of the hunts will have nothing that looks interesting, but others will often show a few items of interest -- usually indoor or outdoor decor items, but sometimes a nice pose or background.  I usually ignore all clothing in hunts.

Any hunt that has pictures of the prize and doesn't cost $L's to get them is best. Also just look around the shop and see if you like their stuff. If you would never buy anything in the shop, don't bother with looking for their hunt item. Twisted is hit or miss for me. Except for the merchants who have stuff I know I like, the hunt itself is usually more fun than the prizes.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1102 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.