How to prevent in-world stores from spamming my chat window?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1091 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

They don't even spam via im, which can be blocked.  Somehow chat cannot be blocked, though they aren't within chat range...but they can spam my local chat window with ads.

Blocking them does not prevent them from doing this.  What can?  And would LL take abuse reports on their doing it seriously?

It is just a minor annoyance in itself, but makes me upset mostly because I get angry that they can put messages in my chat and I can't make them stop, which makes me angry.  I'd feel good if I could stop them, and even better if they had to stop doing it at all (at least to anyone who blocks them, as blocking them means we absolutely do not want it).

• Like 1

Not sure if it is still there but there use to be a chat spam blocker in Firestorm. Mostly for "objects" but it might work for this. The FS support group would know most likely.  I probably turned it on many years ago and just keep using my same settings so not sure where it would be.  IF you are in FS of course. :D

About land > Options > uncheck the box  "Avatars on other parcels can see and chat with avatars on this parcel".

About land> Sound > check the box "Restrict gestures and object sounds on this parcel"

That are the only two options besides blocking objects, that I can think of that might work.
No warranty on it though.

Just now, Sid Nagy said:

About land > Options > uncheck the box  "Avatars on other parcels can see and chat with avatars on this parcel".

About land> Sound > check the box "Restrict gestures and object sounds on this parcel"

that's not causing it, it are scripts  that scan the region / range

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Well, there is actually a certain group of "business people" who put people without their consent on advertising lists. I have no idea why they think that such "business methods" were a smart move. Apart from the fact that it is against TOS; LL is pretty clear about that in their definitions of spam which can be found in the community standards and on the SL Wiki.

What you can do? Contacting the people who are in charge and telling them to remove you instantly from their list. Blocking the object that sends the message. Last but not least, sending an Abuse Report.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Madison Heartsong said:

They don't even spam via im, which can be blocked.  Somehow chat cannot be blocked, though they aren't within chat range...but they can spam my local chat window with ads.

Blocking them does not prevent them from doing this.  What can?  And would LL take abuse reports on their doing it seriously?

It is just a minor annoyance in itself, but makes me upset mostly because I get angry that they can put messages in my chat and I can't make them stop, which makes me angry.  I'd feel good if I could stop them, and even better if they had to stop doing it at all (at least to anyone who blocks them, as blocking them means we absolutely do not want it).

Usually that sort of chat stuff is notices from things like store Subscribe services (even if you didn't sign up for such).  If that is the case, the beginning of the chat line will tell you the name of the object that is sending the message.  In the chat window, you can right click on that object name and select block there.  That blocks that actual object that is sending out the notice.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Usually that sort of chat stuff is notices from things like store Subscribe services (even if you didn't sign up for such).  If that is the case, the beginning of the chat line will tell you the name of the object that is sending the message.  In the chat window, you can right click on that object name and select block there.  That blocks that actual object that is sending out the notice.

I had to do a similar thing a few days ago.  I'll describe what I did in case it's helpful to some.  To make sure the store didn't use any other objects to spam me I went to look at the location.  Finding the currently spamming object was a little tricky as it was in a skybox on a parcel where flying was not permitted so I flew up to the same height on my own parcel then teleported nearby - I couldn't get in as access was banned but I could cam in.  I found the object, which was owned by an alt or other account, so blocked them and all others owning objects in the skybox.  I have not so far received anything else from that store.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I had to do a similar thing a few days ago.  I'll describe what I did in case it's helpful to some.  To make sure the store didn't use any other objects to spam me I went to look at the location.  Finding the currently spamming object was a little tricky as it was in a skybox on a parcel where flying was not permitted so I flew up to the same height on my own parcel then teleported nearby - I couldn't get in as access was banned but I could cam in.  I found the object, which was owned by an alt or other account, so blocked them and all others owning objects in the skybox.  I have not so far received anything else from that store.

I've done similar.  I had one store that had set up 20 or so objects on a sky platform to send out various subscribo messages.  I clicked the Unsubscribe multiple times in the store, but that never stopped the messages, so I eventually had to block all of those objects.  That particular store used a TP router, but with Fly Override, you could fly up to the platform and then block all of the objects.

Before blocking everything, I did notify the owner that I was going to AR them because the Unsubscribe was not actually working and I no longer wanted the dozens of notices.   I did AR them and gave it a few days after submitting the AR, but nothing changed.  Finally I block an object via Chat, but then got another notice from another one.  Blocked the second object and still got another noticed.  That is when I went seriously looking for all of the objects to block.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Yukiko Yeshto said:

Well, there is actually a certain group of "business people" who put people without their consent on advertising lists. I have no idea why they think that such "business methods" were a smart move. Apart from the fact that it is against TOS; LL is pretty clear about that in their definitions of spam which can be found in the community standards and on the SL Wiki.

What you can do? Contacting the people who are in charge and telling them to remove you instantly from their list. Blocking the object that sends the message. Last but not least, sending an Abuse Report.

I remember one time some DJ and his club grabbed names from many groups and spammed everyone including me. I PMed the idiot and he said "hahaha event over" and mentioned do not AR him as he has a friend who works for the Lab and told him he was allowed to spam anyone he desires.  I ARed his bum!  No way to build an audience.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

I remember one time some DJ and his club grabbed names from many groups and spammed everyone including me. I PMed the idiot and he said "hahaha event over" and mentioned do not AR him as he has a friend who works for the Lab and told him he was allowed to spam anyone he desires.  I ARed his bum!  No way to build an audience.

That's the thing about these spammers in general.  I won't even look at what they're selling, though I will remember who spammed me, and I'll never buy from them. to the point that one of the spammers, I was looking for something on mp and I found something that seemed to look good-- and then I saw it was sold by one of the spammers, so I didn't buy it and kept looking.  I might not always remember, so one might at some point sell me something they would have anyway, but I'll never see an unsolicited commercial message and look at what they're advertising.

I'm sure it costs them almost nothing, but they go to some trouble to set it up, and I doubt they get many sales from it because making people angry doesn't make them want to buy from you.

Some of the really good stores on sl, I sign up for their group and I look at the notices in the group, and they sometimes sell to me, because I get to choose when to look at the group notices, at my convenience, and I don't resent it at all because it isn't unsolicited.

I think some spammers, and not only sl spammers but email spammers and telemarketers, enjoy the feeling of power, "Ha, ha!  We can force you to deal with our advertising and you can't stop us!"  But I'll never buy from an unsolicited direct ad, on sl or in rl.

Edited by Madison Heartsong
Typo fix
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1091 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.