What is your avatar height!?

Alex0Eagle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1081 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 4/2/2021 at 1:02 AM, GoSpeed Racer said:

My slider height is 70%. What that is in feet or meters, I dunno.

If you go into "Edit shape", it tells you at the top of the edit window.  If you're using Firestorm, the figure it tells you is close to accurate (give or take a few cm either way). If you're using the official viewer, the figure it gives you will be about 6" shorter than what you really are.

Body Height and Leg Length (and to a very small degree also Neck Length and Head Size) are the sliders which affect your overall height. 

My main av is 6'4". My alts vary between 5'10" and 6'10".

11 hours ago, Coby Foden said:

All my female avatars are 1.78 m (measured with prim, which is the only accurate way to measure the height). I have one male avatar which is 1.90 m.

Exactly.

Any scripted method, or looking at the number in in the shape editor is an estimate and it can be off by as much as 6 inches - as it has to assume certain values for the head.

I'm 1.91m in RL and that feels as tall. I can easily look over the crowds most of the time when walking in a city.
I'm 1.91m in SL and that feels as medium\small. There are giants everywhere.

Of the avatars whose height I bother with, my female avatars range from 1.60 to 1.69m, and my male is 1.80m.

Calling 1.75m "short" seems like weighting the scales.  For a real life human male that's on the high side of average.

Edited by LibGwen

I'm afraid this bit of statistics gathering isn't much use.

1) What @Pussycat Catnap said about presumptive bias.

2) No way to know if it's a representative sample.

3) It didn't state what means the responder should use to measure.

4) It didn't state what state the responder should be in (flat feet, no hover, etc., etc..)

However, I did fill it in.  I just hope the idiot thing-makers in SL don't stat quoting your results as 'evidence' that everyone is tall.

Edited by Anna Nova
removed boast.... :)
  • Like 1

I tried to copy my rl height, which is 5.9. However,  I looked like a dwarf around sl. I had to change slightly to about 5.10 to not look so small.  But I haven't gone higher than that. It's quite comical how I tower over folks in rl (which is fun when going on blind dates) yet in SL I am smaller than most.

5 hours ago, Irina Forwzy said:

I tried to copy my rl height, which is 5.9. However,  I looked like a dwarf around sl. I had to change slightly to about 5.10 to not look so small.  But I haven't gone higher than that. It's quite comical how I tower over folks in rl (which is fun when going on blind dates) yet in SL I am smaller than most.

This is God, teaching you perspective.   9_9

• Haha 1

My default is almost always = height 80, or 7'2"   or 2.19 meters

Sometimes for pictures I will go smaller to get more of the avatar in the image frame, height 50,  6'69"  or 2.04 meters

And for godly characters will go extreme with height 100 and deformer boosters for even taller, 8'77" or 2.67

On 4/1/2021 at 4:50 PM, Alex0Eagle said:

Hello,

I've created a short, anonymous  survey (6 questions only) to ask some basic questions about yoru avatar appearance. The goal of the survey is to identiyy core average heights for short, medium and tall avatars, that animation creators can use as benchmarsk when creating animations. The link to the survey is here:

https://s.surveyplanet.com/oANLJX9Im

I already have some preliminary results (from 50 participants so far):

Here is what I've found so far:

Current participant proportional gender distribution:
            Female: 41%
            Male: 36%
            Non-binary: 23%

Current participant average heights of females males and non-binaries, in meters (and feet):
            Female: 1m87 (6′13″)
            Male: 1m90 (6′24″)
            Non-binary: 1m90 (6′23″) 

Current average height (and standard deviation) of all participants:
            1.89 (σ=27.42)

Current participant weighted average heights for general height categories of ‘generally short’ height, ‘generally medium’ height and ‘generally very tall’ heights:
            Generally short: 1m53 (5ft02)
            Generally medium: 1m92 (6ft29)
            Generally very tall: 2m27 (7ft44)

Here is a link to my figshare study hosting page, that has the following files people may access:

https://figshare.com/s/f2b0e6f3872fdff300dc 

Study overview document:
'SL Study 1 research overview'

Study's current dataset file:
'SL Study 1 study dataset'

Study's current datareport file:
'SL Study 1 study data report'

I'm very confused as to how/why a person who is less than 30 days in SL is compiling a breakdown of heights in SL for animators to use. How will this help any animator? You cant make animations for every size. Making them work for furniture would be a nightmare. It has always been a necessary thing to adjust positions with furniture. And it always will be as everyone is a different size. 

Brace Yourselves X is Coming Meme |  BRACE YOURSELVES; SPRING THESIS SURVEYS ARE COMING | image tagged in memes,brace yourselves x is coming | made w/ Imgflip meme maker

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1081 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.