What is your avatar height!?

Alex0Eagle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1108 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

I've created a short, anonymous  survey (6 questions only) to ask some basic questions about yoru avatar appearance. The goal of the survey is to identiyy core average heights for short, medium and tall avatars, that animation creators can use as benchmarsk when creating animations. The link to the survey is here:

https://s.surveyplanet.com/oANLJX9Im

I already have some preliminary results (from 50 participants so far):

Here is what I've found so far:

Current participant proportional gender distribution:
            Female: 41%
            Male: 36%
            Non-binary: 23%

Current participant average heights of females males and non-binaries, in meters (and feet):
            Female: 1m87 (6′13″)
            Male: 1m90 (6′24″)
            Non-binary: 1m90 (6′23″) 

Current average height (and standard deviation) of all participants:
            1.89 (σ=27.42)

Current participant weighted average heights for general height categories of ‘generally short’ height, ‘generally medium’ height and ‘generally very tall’ heights:
            Generally short: 1m53 (5ft02)
            Generally medium: 1m92 (6ft29)
            Generally very tall: 2m27 (7ft44)

Here is a link to my figshare study hosting page, that has the following files people may access:

https://figshare.com/s/f2b0e6f3872fdff300dc 

Study overview document:
'SL Study 1 research overview'

Study's current dataset file:
'SL Study 1 study dataset'

Study's current datareport file:
'SL Study 1 study data report'

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

I'm 6'1 and in terms of what I see in SL that is small plenty of places I go to I stand next to other female Av's and they tower over me, so no different to RL. I used to be maxed out in height as that was what everyone did many years ago. after realising I looked freakishly tall, I gradually shrunk down and fattened up a bit I'm happier with how I now look

• Like 1

Thanks for all your replies to this post so far! Don't forget to fill out my survey too! (It's free and anonymous)

https://s.surveyplanet.com/oANLJX9Im

Also check out my preliminary findings (in a pdf report), found here:

https://figshare.com/articles/online_resource/SL_Study_1_S1_Investigating_human_and_humanoid_avatar_heights_in_Second_Life/14346794?file=27406496

What might be interesting as an additional thing is to specifically examine the height difference between humans and furries. In my experience, humans tend to be some ~20 cm taller on average. But what the sociological explanation for that would be I have no idea.

I did fill in the survey either way though! 1.78 meters/female, here.

• Like 1

You should be aware that many people have no idea how tall their avatars are, or they believe themselves to be shorter than they actually are. The reasons for this are that in the official linden viewer, height is reported as being half a foot shorter than your actual height, and the same can be said for many of the scripted height measurement tools in SL. In Firestorm's appearance editor height is correct to within a few inches. The only way for 100% accurate height is to manually measure yourself using a prim.

Also, shoes can add a significant amount to height. Especially women wearing heels and platform shoes which can add up to about half a foot of height.

• Like 5

My avatar is 1.87 meters or 6'1". I recall I used to be over 7 feet tall when I first started. It's hard to really go by the exact measurements because everything in world is sized differently. 6 feet tall is still shorter than most when you walk around SL.

I put together a new avatar without any consideration to height and just went by how she looked with others. She's 2.11 meters tall or 6'11". She seems average amongst women and most men are much taller. 

Orwar is 178 cm. Neph is 164 cm. Mina is 170 cm.

And yes, the Jurassic Park theme song plays a lot in my head when I'm out and about.

• Haha 1

I am so freaked out that 7' seems to be normal here. Land of giants as @ValKalAstra said! 

Katherine is a tall female by RL standards at 5'11" (178cm).

My male avatar (and yes, gosh, I do have an alt that matches my RL gender) is set in SL to be 6'3" (190cm or so), so three inches taller than I am in RL. And he feels dwarfed by almost every other avatar.

I did spot a real cutie at Franks the other night with an avatar maybe 5'3" and she stood out because of that. I liked the look a lot, though. To shy to say hi though.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1108 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.