Jump to content

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

How do you like the new LL Apartment Homes?

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Millbank/128/128/24

LL Apartments.jpg

Complete with a Soviet poster saying "The Motherland is Calling YOU!" See it up there on the left of the building?

If this isn't photoshopped, I hope it's an April Fool's prank.

Millbank was an infamous British prison, I believe.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

How do you like the new LL Apartment Homes?

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Millbank/128/128/24

LL Apartments.jpg

It says "prim mock-up" on the parcel.

Yes, it's a Soviet poster, but the one that says "Have You Registered as a Volunteer?" One of those "compulsory volunteer" opportunities.

From the looks of it, somebody's brother-in-law sure got a big cement contract from the Ministry of Construction!

These apartments are very...sturdy. 

I think the Lindens should move people in there for free -- but then they'd have to change the group because for now it's "Linden Department of Public Works"

 

Twins_188.jpg

Twins_189.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Complete with a Soviet poster saying "The Motherland is Calling YOU!" See it up there on the left of the building?

If this isn't photoshopped, I hope it's an April Fool's prank.

Millbank was an infamous British prison, I believe.

Millbank is a space they use for temporary stuff. So it's a real build, but not really a place they're going to move a bunch of people into. Pity as the merchant area with the bouncy balls was fun.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

If this isn't photoshopped, I hope it's an April Fool's prank.

It was done as an April Fools showing off a not to be real theme, however after going round it i could see it offered as part of a low end premium package, you can choose to either live in a Linden Flat or get a L$ stipend. The first place i lived in, in SL had tower blocks not too dissimilar to these two flats per floor with two separate rooms a central area and a balcony. At the time i was really excited to live in one of those places.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Millbank was an infamous British prison, I believe.

It was but I think most people now associate the area with the Millbank Tower office block, with Tate Britain, with the Millbank TV studios, and with the Millbank Estate, an early public housing scheme, started in 1897 using bricks recycled from the old prison.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millbank

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I find myself strangely nostalgic for enormous brutalist apartment buildings, having grown up in that kind of area (granted, not in Russia, but still)

I wonder, if they made this a real theme - limited to perhaps one sim, and each apartment far enough from the neighbours that you can't hear them - would anyone actually live there?

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Cinos Field said:

I wonder, if they made this a real theme - limited to perhaps one sim, and each apartment far enough from the neighbours that you can't hear them - would anyone actually live there?

Lindall Kidd owns an apartment building in SL. It's a tall building with a lot of space around it, because you need to do that to get enough prim capacity.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, animats said:

Lindall Kidd owns an apartment building in SL. It's a tall building with a lot of space around it, because you need to do that to get enough prim capacity.

we tried to setup an apartment setup on a sim once,  the 20m distance from each avatar was always fun and it make the place monstrous.  I ended up dipping out on that one.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Whether or not anyone would live in the apartments, LL would not do them.  The little note that was left next to a car in that apartment garage just lists some of the issues they would have.

image.thumb.png.4ee9567d9a6c620ddf887badb4e0fa0e.png

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Cinos Field said:

I find myself strangely nostalgic for enormous brutalist apartment buildings, having grown up in that kind of area (granted, not in Russia, but still)

I wonder, if they made this a real theme - limited to perhaps one sim, and each apartment far enough from the neighbours that you can't hear them - would anyone actually live there?

As I've said here before, I'd go premium if they built an urban themed Linden Homes area. But, yeah, not like this. I like living in cities, not in squalid and ugly high-density ghettos.

What they could do is have streets lined with dummy shops housed in late Victorian or earlyish 20th-century two- and three-story shopfronts with usable apartments above them, as well as residential streets running off them. And some nice looking dummy apartment buildings or condos as part of the landscaping. What I'd want to see is a replication of an exciting and vital downtown neighbourhood, with art galleries, community centres, and such.

Sadly, I suspect there's probably more of a demand for squalid Crack Den style settings, or post apocalyptic ones.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

IF

SL could host an apartment block full of people, and our viewers wouldn't render all of it and everyone every frame, and chat could be limited to the current 'room' or 'room + adjacent room on same level'

I would be down for one of these in a heartbeat and building megacity1 in my spare time.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would unironically really like high-rise apartments (or not-so-high-rise) if they found a way to divide up the parcels in a way that prevented people from putting things on lower levels that didn't belong to them. Hopefully we get some sort of urban theme in the future, even if it's more row-house-styled and less of what this was. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no reason why volumetric parceling couldn't be added to SL (ground parcel divided up into sub plots by elevation, much like EEP lighting). The amount of scripted stuff affected by such a change would be minimal and easily replaced.

The hard part is making good accessible UI for it ..

Client side implications of that kind of density could be mitigated by limiting rendering to the current (or current + X adjacent) parcels

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Coffee Pancake said:

There is no reason why volumetric parceling couldn't be added to SL (ground parcel divided up into sub plots by elevation, much like EEP lighting). The amount of scripted stuff affected by such a change would be minimal and easily replaced.

The hard part is making good accessible UI for it ..

Client side implications of that kind of density could be mitigated by limiting rendering to the current (or current + X adjacent) parcels

I have been talking a lot about volumetric parcelling. I think it would be the next best thing that LL could do. Especially if you have multiple properties on one parcel.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

terrace houses could be done on a 16 x 64 parcel. Where the 16 is the frontage

with not being able to turn on banlines then the parcels can be abutted to each other. No banline visuals leaking thru the exterior side walls. Restrict avatar/chat/sound to parcel = On.

with a house floor plan of say 16 x 20 then stairs plus hallway( front to back) = about 4 meters wide, leaving room size about 12 x 20. 3 floors + rooftop living. So 4 livable floors

Garden be 16 x 44.  If the frontage abuts a pedestrian footpath then the back garden can abut a road. Be able to stick a garage/garden shed by the road at the back. 12 x 12 say. Leaves 4 meters to walk alongside the garage/shed to the road

44 - 12 = 32 meters. Plenty of room left for patio, etc. Some of the buildings can be set back from the frontage by about 4 meters (allow little front garden) So backyard be 40 meters deep

if was desirable to continue with 4 meter spacing between parcels then can stick a single object between the buildings, texture/shaped to act/look like a structural joiner. (am not sure that keeping the 4 meter is necessary tho)

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mollymews said:

if was desirable to continue with 4 meter spacing between parcels then can stick a single object between the buildings, texture/shaped to act/look like a structural joiner. (am not sure that keeping the 4 meter is necessary tho)

 

Terraced houses in the UK typically have a passage between them at ground level (which we call a ginnel in Manchester). Above the passage would be an additional room belonging to the house on one side, but in this case that room could be a fake one serving only to divide the parcels.

See the source image

And where the houses on parallel streets meet at the back, there's an alley which would serve as further parcel division

See the source image

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Region layout and design aren't things I'm involved in, but I do remember that we looked into having terraced houses for the Victorian theme, and even mocked up a sample region to see how it looked, at which point we reluctantly decided in the end that there were too many unforeseen disadvantages and constraints associated with the design for us to be able to use it and still adhere to our basic design principles, at least not in the time available.

 

Edited by Quartz Mole
  • Thanks 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
Quote
17 hours ago, Quartz Mole said:

 ...I do remember that we looked into having terraced houses for the Victorian theme, and even mocked up a sample region to see how it looked, at which point we reluctantly decided in the end that there were too many unforeseen disadvantages and constraints...

 

I had hoped Linden Lab would go with a San Francisco-style Victorian theme. The terraced houses certainly would have fit with this idea. I imagined the houses built around a scaled down version of Golden Gate Park as the community area. While we didn''t get exactly that with the Victorian theme, it is close enough to satisfy my desire for a nod to the home base of Linden Lab. 🙂

1e3154f16c4be0ed0d0d6ac4399c4166d982f82eacaf5a1b17c638f3cc9eb68a-375.jpg

b0a762501eab02f8955153c20a54b3e5078bfd1c9418dde96e623bbbcd82312e-750.jpg

Edited by Persephone Emerald
to add pictures
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...