How to add flooring/wallpaper?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1107 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello. Apologies first of all for the very basic question. I'm decorating my own house and would like to lay down my own flooring to segment each room and do the same with walls/wallpaper. I know the basics of adding textures to prims (I tried retexturing the house itself but found the room division unsuitable for what I'm trying to do).

I'm guessing the way to go is to create a thin prim shaped like my floor, texture that and lay it down? Does anyone have tips for shaping the prim to shape the room itself or for shaping walls that go around each of my windows?

Thank you kindly.

14 minutes ago, Hesiodos said:

Hello. Apologies first of all for the very basic question. I'm decorating my own house and would like to lay down my own flooring to segment each room and do the same with walls/wallpaper. I know the basics of adding textures to prims (I tried retexturing the house itself but found the room division unsuitable for what I'm trying to do).

I'm guessing the way to go is to create a thin prim shaped like my floor, texture that and lay it down? Does anyone have tips for shaping the prim to shape the room itself or for shaping walls that go around each of my windows?

Thank you kindly.

Yes you have the idea correct.  There is of course a "but" there LOL.  

If it is a rectangular floor == easy.  If there are windows that need to be worked around = more difficult.  Typically, a decade after mesh has been introduced in SL, you would put the thin prims on the wall inworld, link them and export them as a DAE (mesh) file -- and then import them into a 3D modeling program (typically here Blender), then do some clean up and export them out again with no SEAMS :D.  

If that is beyond your skill set then the only way you can get "patterns" (wood, and other textures that need to be seamless to look good) is to painstakingly adjust them in the build menu.  It IS possible and I have done it (last time with prims about a year and a half ago).  But it takes patience and skill.  So picking an overall pattern (like stucco) will be much easier as you will not be able to see the seams as easily.  OR you could just hire someone to make the add-ons for you. 

Wish there was a simple 1-2-3 answer. Skills, we often need to learn new ones here in our virtual world.  

4 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Yes you have the idea correct.  There is of course a "but" there LOL.  

If it is a rectangular floor == easy.  If there are windows that need to be worked around = more difficult.  Typically, a decade after mesh has been introduced in SL, you would put the thin prims on the wall inworld, link them and export them as a DAE (mesh) file -- and then import them into a 3D modeling program (typically here Blender), then do some clean up and export them out again with no SEAMS :D.  

If that is beyond your skill set then the only way you can get "patterns" (wood, and other textures that need to be seamless to look good) is to painstakingly adjust them in the build menu.  It IS possible and I have done it (last time with prims about a year and a half ago).  But it takes patience and skill.  So picking an overall pattern (like stucco) will be much easier as you will not be able to see the seams as easily.  OR you could just hire someone to make the add-ons for you. 

Wish there was a simple 1-2-3 answer. Skills, we often need to learn new ones here in our virtual world.  

Thank you so much! This gives me a good idea of what I need to do. I will attempt the in-world build and see where that gets me. I can settle for a simple wall and consider something like virtual parquet for my rectangular floors. Thank you once again for taking the time to explain this very basic notion to a building newb :)

Edited by Hesiodos
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1107 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.