Inworld Employment for designer creation

valattefine

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1103 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2021 at 3:16 PM, Rowan Amore said:

Might want to pay $ instead of Ls.   As @Quistessasaid, what exactly will you bring to the process?

with this Second Life app "SL payment $L" can be from anywhere. Dollars would not be possible. Payment must be $L. 

No. This is a Second Life transaction 

SLapp.jpg

payment.jpg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, valattefine said:

with this Second Life app "SL payment $L" can be from anywhere. Dollars would not be possible. Payment must be $L. 

No. This is a Second Life transaction 

SLapp.jpg

payment.jpg

Here's an ad right here in the employment section with prices per piece.

Too many people here don't seem to comprehend the difference between what I'll call "play-work" and what I'll call "real-work".

play-work : fun, low-pay, low barrier to entry.

I would say things like DJ/Hosting, and adult jobs are almost always of this type. There are a large number of people who are able and willing to do the job, or broadly speaking, people would do the activity anyway, but you are incentivizing them to do the activity at /your/ location, which will bring you more traffic and hopefully revenue.

Real-work : not-as-fun, higher pay, higher barrier to entry

Animation and mesh-creation among other things generally fit here. Doing not-entirely-fun things for money is called a job, and people who do jobs expect to be paid a living wage, and when there is actual money involved, there is a higher level of scrutiny between employer and employee (and legal things, but brush those under the rug) I.E. not only does the employer need to know the employee is competent, but the employee needs some reassurance that the employer actually has the ability to pay, and (for a ongoing-arangement rather than a one off sale) that the employer will actually be able to keep the business afloat.

No reasonable person would agree to do real-work for play-work pay, and if you're going to pay someone real-world rates, over an extended period of time, you'll definitely want to use some real world payment method, Paypal, venmo, wire-transfer or whatever is popular these days.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Quistessa said:

play-work : fun, low-pay, low barrier to entry.

I would say things like DJ/Hosting, and adult jobs are almost always of this type.

Real-work : not-as-fun, higher pay, higher barrier to entry

Animation and mesh-creation among other things generally fit here.

I don't think you can generalize what types of work are "more fun." More accessible, maybe, but I wouldn't put DJ/Hosting and roleplay on the same level on that.

One thing I don't understand though. Why would you say that getting paid in L$ is "play work?" Getting paid in L$ is just as real as USD and has its own benefits, depending on how you want to use that money. The only important factor is how much OP is actually willing to pay. If the screenshots above are any indication, 24K L$ or $100 for (I assume/hope) a couple things can be decent. But if they think that amount will cover for a whole "fashion line," they're probably going to be very disappointed.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

One thing I don't understand though. Why would you say that getting paid in L$ is "play work?"

I didn't intend to imply that getting paid in linden was any less 'real' than getting paid in USD, the difference is in amount. getting paid 2000 linden for a 2-4 hour hosting gig sounds nice, but when you do the math that adds up to about 8USD, nowhere close to a living wage. As is subtly implied by Rowan's first comment:

On 4/13/2021 at 4:16 PM, Rowan Amore said:

Might want to pay $ instead of Ls.

Lindens are great for low-value transactions, but if you if you are paying someone an amount at which you might reasonably expect them to convert l to USD you'd be better off doing the transaction in USD to begin with.

As a practical point, yes, $100 might buy the OP one or two clothing items to sell in their store, not a whole fashion line. Unless they have amazing marketing skills, or a large reservoir of cash, I foresee 'slipinfalls' slipping and falling.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Quistessa said:

I didn't intend to imply that getting paid in linden was any less 'real' than getting paid in USD, the difference is in amount. getting paid 2000 linden for a 2-4 hour hosting gig sounds nice, but when you do the math that adds up to about 8USD, nowhere close to a living wage. As is subtly implied by Rowan's first comment:

Lindens are great for low-value transactions, but if you if you are paying someone an amount at which you might reasonably expect them to convert l to USD you'd be better off doing the transaction in USD to begin with.

As a practical point, yes, $100 might buy the OP one or two clothing items to sell in their store, not a whole fashion line. Unless they have amazing marketing skills, or a large reservoir of cash, I foresee 'slipinfalls' slipping and falling.

Also, many people may not want to provide the required ID to cash out Ls so getting paid in RL money would be preferable.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, valattefine said:

It would be impossible to match the Real World person or ID with Avatar, too. Keep n it SL 

Cash out Lindens through LL is an easy process but requires additional ID to LL.  People do it all the time.  However, a lot of people do not want to provide this info to LL or do not have the required ID.  Therefore, YOU paying the person in RL money might be preferable to some creators.  Perhaps you should learn how things work before starting a business.

Process credit (withdrawal)

Net proceeds from your sales of Linden Dollars remain as credit on your Second Life account, and this credit is automatically applied to your account fees as described above. If you do not wish to apply your Linden Dollar sales proceeds to your fees, you may withdraw this portion of your account credit through a real-world credit process. (See Process Credit) Note that you may only process credit due to net proceeds from sales of Linden Dollars. Purchases of account credits and credits due to gift codes or other promotional account credits are nonrefundable, and may not be processed as a payment to you.

You must be in full compliance with our Terms of Service to receive any payment through the credit payment process. This includes, without limitation, the requirement to have accurate and complete registration information, including verifiable billing information. Under certain circumstances, Linden Lab may request additional information from you before processing a request. If provided in a timely manner, this extra step should not significantly delay processing times.

Additionally, you must be in compliance with Tilia's Terms of Service and provide Tilia with adequate documentation for ID verification in order to process credit. Tilia is a subsidiary of Linden Lab that offers certain financial services to the Second Life community and helps Second Life comply with U.S. laws and regulations. For additional information about Tilia and the documentation required for ID verification, please see the Tilia FAQ.

1 hour ago, Quistessa said:

No reasonable person would agree to do real-work for play-work pay, and if you're going to pay someone real-world rates, over an extended period of time, you'll definitely want to use some real world payment method, Paypal, venmo, wire-transfer or whatever is popular these days.

Plenty of ways for you to pay someone RL money as noted by @Quistessa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1103 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.