Skins, a very important part of our fashion statement

Tazzie Tuque

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1120 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Skins are a very important part of our fashion statement.  There are tons of skin makers out there in SL and I have demoed most of them.  So far I have two favourite skin makers, one does not do much if anything for the new Catwa HDPRO heads;  one seems to be totally out of touch and not doing BOM for existing bodies and heads, and one has taken to doing one new item about every 4 months.  So I have been searching for something else to use with my HDPRO heads.  Here is what I have found..  most of the skins I have tried either all come in totally light colour choices (I prefer a deep tanned look).  Most have ridiculously over emphasized shading (in my opinion)  to the point where it looks to me like there are white blotches on the face (I use advanced lighting which brightens even without the use of materials) and white streaks on the body.  Natural body shading just does not look like that!  Some of the heads and skins I have tried would be really pretty if they were not overly shaded.  Also a lot of the darker skins aside from being way over shaded,  are weird colours,  tooo red in most cases,  or too vibrant,  darker shades need to be less intense in colour and saturation to look realistic.  When I say darker skin colours I do not mean the black skins, I mean deep well tanned look. 

Just thought I would comment on this in case any skin makers are looking.  Meanwhile I continue to demo new products, maybe I will get lucky and find a new favourite skin maker :)  But so far the "big name" skin makers are all in my opinion either overly shaded, or not making much for the new Catwa HDPRO heads, opting more for Genus, and Lelutka.  Oh and matching body skins NEED to be BOM inclusive as well since a lot of us are now preferring to use the BOM options.

• Like 2

Hopefully there will be some designers making skins for Catwa HDPRO heads soon. I do have to agree that when I have gone to a few skin stores there is a lot of skins suitable for older heads and some new skins for the new heads are very much needed. I have found some older skins to work pretty well on the CATWA Queen head however I do think it would be nice if some skinmakers could by chance create some skins designed to work especially well for the CATWA HDPRO heads in particular. Sometimes putting on a skin can be hit or miss. It may or may not look right all because the skin was designed for a different head. So some more skins for CATWA HDPRO heads are needed i agree.

• Like 1

Nuve has a lovely darker toned skin called Destiny. It's made for the 3 major head brands including Catwa HD Pro, and comes in I think 6 shades. As a picky person myself, I understand how hard it can be to find a skin with all your qualifications.  Izzies makes  quite a few correctors that might work to remove some of the harsh contouring  on a skin you otherwise like.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Laurel Aurelia said:

Izzies makes  quite a few correctors that might work to remove some of the harsh contouring  on a skin you otherwise like.  

interesting to know, must check those out.  As for Destiny yes I have tried that one too, not bad but the demo only has eyebrows,  and I really would love to see it with no brows to see how it looks with the add on brows I prefer..  also demo does not include cooling filter which the purchased version does.. not sure what that is or how it would alter the tones.  Kind of expensive to get the full version when I cannot tell from the demo if I would like it or not :(

Edited by Tazzie Tuque

I must preface this with a disclaimer: I don't use a mesh head, but I've been playing with them for some time trying to find one which I can get to look like 'me'.

I got the HD PRO Queen during the recent ... shall we say excitement, and have been fiddling with it a lot as it's let me get closer to my face than any others I've experimented with. As a result I went and got some group-gift skins and some (several) demos out of curiosity and I agree with you ... I was taken aback by the results.

What I found worked best (and I must stress this is my opinion) is the skin I bought before mesh heads were even a thing. Now this may be that it just looks right to my eyes because I'm used to that skin ... it's what I wear on my system head after all. And it's possible that, not being a mesh head user, I'm not seeing things that a long term user of them might find unappealing.

Either way - I suggest that older skins might be worth checking out.

1 hour ago, Tazzie Tuque said:

interesting to know, must check those out.

Check Tres Beau.  If I remember correctly, they had a skin for Catwa Pro at the skin fair and are now in store.  The also have a vast array of shades.  I wear Cafe from itGirls and the faces at Tres Beau match.  I prefer a clean brown shade also.

On 3/31/2021 at 5:08 PM, AnthonyJoanne said:

I must preface this with a disclaimer: I don't use a mesh head, but I've been playing with them for some time trying to find one which I can get to look like 'me'.

I got the HD PRO Queen during the recent ... shall we say excitement, and have been fiddling with it a lot as it's let me get closer to my face than any others I've experimented with. As a result I went and got some group-gift skins and some (several) demos out of curiosity and I agree with you ... I was taken aback by the results.

What I found worked best (and I must stress this is my opinion) is the skin I bought before mesh heads were even a thing. Now this may be that it just looks right to my eyes because I'm used to that skin ... it's what I wear on my system head after all. And it's possible that, not being a mesh head user, I'm not seeing things that a long term user of them might find unappealing.

Either way - I suggest that older skins might be worth checking out.

I think I might do the same. I have plenty of old skins sitting in my inventory. I might give those older skins a try that I haven't yet tried with the HDPRO Head. I'll definitely give that a go and keep trying until i find a good skin that goes well.

• Like 1

Well, I went ahead and forked out the cash for that Nuve Destiny skin;  the up side is she includes a cooling filter which does decrease the brightness of the skin and reduces the intensity of the colour which suits me just fine.   The bad news is that she has some make up on the eyes with one bright shiny spot in the middle and is a sort of gold tint to the eye make up,  which unfortunately is not totally covered up by applying other eye make up layers (BOM) it alters the colour of what ever you are applying.  The other bad news is that the feet adjuster layer for Maitreya leaves dark splotches at the top of the nail beds.  Otherwise pretty good skin.  I informed her manager of these issues, hope something comes of it.  Meanwhile still keeping an eye out for something better lol..  laughs aren't we always?  Still have to check out those filters by izzie.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1120 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.