Another EEP/ALM flaw?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1114 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Look at these four pictures. All are taken with default midday light and ultra graphics with or with ALM switched off:

Pre EEP viewer (32 bit Firestorm 5.07.52912) with ALM on:

wa.thumb.jpg.0beb5fc26b8ab56b37ece47eeabce762.jpg

Pre EEP viewer with ALM off:

en.thumb.jpg.62ffd998c9c4b70c0cb16e06b0d0adf0.jpg

EEP viewer (64 bit Firestorm 6.4.12.62381) with ALM on:

ea.thumb.jpg.d91d73892a2f5c163a445e103f8ac716.jpg

EEP viewer with ALM off:

en.thumb.jpg.5adbabe6ce493aa3c0ec88d18c647fd7.jpg

These are pics taken on opensim partly because I'm not a millionaire so I can't afford to buld on this scale in SL, partly because as far as I know all pre EEP viewers have been blosked in SL by now. That shouldn't make any difference though.

The distant mountain that looks so totally wrong with the ALM/EEP combo is somewehre between 750 m and 1 km away from the camera position. I don't know what causes it. It may be an EEP bug, it may be an ALM bug, it may be that the default midday setting is faulty or it may be (although I doubt it) an opensim issue only and not relevant to SL.

Are there any experts who can explain what happens? (Paging, @animats, @Beq Janus and @Coffee Pancake.)

53 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

These are pics taken on opensim partly because I'm not a millionaire so I can't afford to buld on this scale in SL, partly because as far as I know all pre EEP viewers have been blosked in SL by now. That shouldn't make any difference though.

T

pre-EEP viewers are not blocked yet. I am using Firestorm. Maybe next update I suspect. Some viewers are going to give folks a choice. Some viewers have reworked how EEP works. So there ARE options.   We can only hope that things keep improving third party wise.  I have my fingers crossed that FS will give us an OPTION to turn on EEP.  

I am getting a new computer Friday and I am installing the non-EEP FS :D still with fingers crossed. 

And from my experience you can't really trust what happens in Opensim to be the SAME as what happens in SL on almost any level. So maybe going to a big quad sandbox area and rezzing some full sim megaprims up at 3000 meters or whatever would give you a better test.   

I do agree that it still sucks big time. Really one of the worst "improvements" The Lab has ever forced on us --- oh wait, there was the removal of last names. I guess that wins so far as the general populous is concerned. 

• Like 2

EEP still has a number of rendering .. differences. 

Try to get out of the habit of seeing each new rendering upgrade or option as building on the previous incrementally. It's doubtful EEP will ever match preEEP 100%. If we ever get a vulkan render engine, everything will look different and all bets are off (expect a lot of wailing over content with heavy baked lighting for a start).

In the interim for specific EEP issues, find places in SL where these issues can be demonstrated and reproduced, with the stock Linden viewer*, and file bug reports on LL's JIRA.

*Super important, LL can't be expected to look at rendering issues in 3rd party viewer, and while they may take fixes from others (if you can coax TPVs to fix these issues), getting the issue recognized by LL is an important part of the process.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

*Super important, LL can't be expected to look at rendering issues in 3rd party viewer, and while they may take fixes from others (if you can coax TPVs to fix these issues), getting the issue recognized by LL is an important part of the process.

Yes, that's why I posted about it here rather than filing a JIRA - not that I would have been likely to file a JIRA anyway.

23 hours ago, ChinRey said:

Yes, that's why I posted about it here rather than filing a JIRA - not that I would have been likely to file a JIRA anyway.

As @Coffee Pancake says, if that reproduces on default viewer then they NEED to have a jira, it will not get fixed otherwise. There are a number of additional shader/pipeline changes post EEP the latest batch will drop in LMR5 which is currently an RC and will be landing "soon". The LL viewer release schedule got derailed a little by the texture cache update rollback.

I know that LMR5 has a number of additional fixes that we did not include in the latest update (because we don't include stuff until LL release it, and we did not want to wait to get the latest version out.) and that at least some of them relate to the sky.

Visually that looks like the haze is clipping at long distance.

@Whirly Fizzleis this an issue that you are aware of?

Edited by Beq Janus
clarify shader/pipeline
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1114 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.