Objects Disappearing!

SarahThe Wanderer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 281 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi,

I have this weird problem that I've never had before, but it's been a week since it started and i don't know what exactly is causing it!

whenever i zoom to an object it disappears, and when I zoom out it shows again, and if i use the ultra graphic without even zooming; it disappears as well, any idea why? 

I would be thankful for any help..

Here is some pictures for an example ( I'm using firestorm )    :

Normal picture with normal graphic with no zooming and everything is ok:

Webp.net-resizeimage(4).thumb.jpg.40cf79403493f8a1c15fad177b51c558.jpg

And here I'm still using normal graphics and i zoomed a little and the wall disappeared:

Webp.net-resizeimage(5).thumb.jpg.121187425d6cb5c095b9370211245aa1.jpg

And here I used ultra graphic without zooming and the wall disappeared also:

Webp.net-resizeimage(6).thumb.jpg.41d1942f87604ba1abccc47aab602109.jpg

Not only the wall that disappears other objects as well!

8 answers to this question

When you zoom in or out it changes the way the LODs work on objects (some objects not made with the best LODs that is).  So for example a table might look fine at a reasonable distance at LOD2 with the default view distance. If you hit  Ctrl+0 a couple of times this changes the way the LODs work and objects can disappear or almost disappear. ( I can  still see the shadow prim on what I assume is a U shaped counter. )  

"I" don't see this often any more because I am careful with my purchases and really only zoom in  or out when taking pictures.  Not sure if their is the same issue when holding down the alt key and using the mouse to zoom in.  Again, I don't see this often any longer. 

Some creators (sadly) don't pay attention to any but the top two LOD levels (sometimes only the LOD4 level ) when uploading their mesh.  This can cause the issue . There may be other reasons too, but I suspect that they all have to do with LOD models for the various LOD settings in the viewer. 

IF the items disappearing are ones you have had for awhile and this is JUST NOW showing up, it may be because Firestorm changed some of the LOD viewer properties so that Depth of Field can now be consistent for machinima. So if you recently updated your viewer it could be that.  I didn't update so can't comment on that really, just a guess.  

• Thanks 2

On 3/31/2021 at 4:46 PM, Chic Aeon said:

When you zoom in or out it changes the way the LODs work on objects (some objects not made with the best LODs that is).  So for example a table might look fine at a reasonable distance at LOD2 with the default view distance. If you hit  Ctrl+0 a couple of times this changes the way the LODs work and objects can disappear or almost disappear. ( I can  still see the shadow prim on what I assume is a U shaped counter. )  

"I" don't see this often any more because I am careful with my purchases and really only zoom in  or out when taking pictures.  Not sure if their is the same issue when holding down the alt key and using the mouse to zoom in.  Again, I don't see this often any longer. 

Some creators (sadly) don't pay attention to any but the top two LOD levels (sometimes only the LOD4 level ) when uploading their mesh.  This can cause the issue . There may be other reasons too, but I suspect that they all have to do with LOD models for the various LOD settings in the viewer. 

IF the items disappearing are ones you have had for awhile and this is JUST NOW showing up, it may be because Firestorm changed some of the LOD viewer properties so that Depth of Field can now be consistent for machinima. So if you recently updated your viewer it could be that.  I didn't update so can't comment on that really, just a guess.  

Thank you Chic for this detailed answer  I really appreciate it, yes I did update my firestorm but I logged in with the LL viewer to see if it's a viewer problem,  and the problem is still there; it's better but it's still there, so I guess it's an object thing as you said *sigh* I haven't used these objects before it's a new gacha set, I'll just have to live with it then, it's so perfect for my home, but I'll still look for a replacement if i can find something similar, thanks again!

2 hours ago, SarahThe Wanderer said:

Thank you Chic for this detailed answer  I really appreciate it, yes I did update my firestorm but I logged in with the LL viewer to see if it's a viewer problem,  and the problem is still there; it's better but it's still there, so I guess it's an object thing as you said *sigh* I haven't used these objects before it's a new gacha set, I'll just have to live with it then, it's so perfect for my home, but I'll still look for a replacement if i can find something similar, thanks again!

Gachas are dangerous that way typically -- when you can't actually see what you are playing for. If I really want something and don''t know how the creator works (or sometimes the creator is OK one time and BAD the next) I usually just play once and then TEST at home and go back if things are good.  

Not a new problem. Now you know. You can join the LOD2 club and leave the disappearing stuff behind.  Many creators have reassessed their work over the last couple of years and things are MUCH better. That's the good news. 

• Like 1

hmm i never had this problem before i think this started happening since the latest viewer update. 

also it is random stuff that it happens to. one day it could be my coffee table, next relog its a wall that behaves that way, now its a pouf. 

it is especially annoying when you want to use a cam angle and distance and that object you want in the shot dissapears.

relogging and hoping the items you want to photograph will be visible usually does it.

there is absolutely no consistency, so bad lod items i think is pointing in the wrong direction.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 281 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.