How about a Daily Log In Reward?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1095 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

9 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Well, with all the free mesh heads lately, if they'd stayed logged in, they would have gotten several free or nearly free mesh heads.  

But, me, I like working for what I get...I appreciate it more...not that gifts are not nice too so that isn't what I am saying.  

However, I think something along the lines of some kind of stimulus would be great.  But how to do a stimulus...I have no idea.  So, this last sentence is just like thinking out loud.

Also, I think some people having a chance to let's say win a free mesh head may be a plan to help those who cannot afford one stay in SL awhile to see how they like it because then they only have to pay for a body.  So, the free mesh head is the part I like because it's very important and what most people want in SL but may not be able to afford.  But, it should be something more along the lines of won, imo.   Or, are the Lindens picking up the tab here?

Edited by FairreLilette
multi-tasking
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Not everyone has to use it. Those who log in will reap the benefits and it might be the right incentive to retain people. Maybe a daily login with tiered rewards based on your rez day. I think actual lindens should be left out as rewards. That should fix any exploitation. I made my idea great again.

The idea of a login reward isn't worthless on its own, but the way you've presented the idea (with the lack of a full idea) makes it sound terrible to the demographic you're speaking to.

What's a universal-enough reward that can be trickle-fed to most if not all SL users? It can't be something that would significantly benefit all those people with armies of alts.

Since you got this idea from a game, possibly MMORPG, you need to realize what that reward means in the context of that game. For example:

• Daily/weekly/monthly quests can be used as time-gated content. Stuff that you want to (or have to) do, but have to wait until you get to keep doing it. Delayed reward or a long-term goal.
  • "Resting" or "rested EXP" is a catch-up mechanic. The longer you stay offline, the more you'll accumulate bonus progression for doing almost anything, to make up for the time you missed.
  • Actual items or other perks received for each day. These often feel like the least interesting option and I'm personally turned off by them for a long list of reasons.
    • Most often, the login rewards are insignificant. It's either stuff you don't need or don't care about.
    • Specific items are given only on specific days. Fear of missing out, and inevitably missing out. Logging in becomes a chore you have to do every day.
    • You may get items you either can't use or don't know how to use. That's very frustrating.

Technically you have a weekly quest in Linden Realms, but it's optional content that I would guess most people don't even know about. L$ is obviously not an option as "free candy" to all users because of its transferable real-value nature. You'd have to think of something else that fits what Second Life is, and an MMORPG it isn't.

SL is so much about everything and nothing at the same time that I (as a gamer who's seen a lot) can't think of any system that could work* in SL, besides some non-monetary point system that allows you to redeem non-transferable things through the website or something. It would require a huge (and ever-expanding) list of things to redeem, otherwise it would only serve a portion of users and become neglected by the rest. Implementing a system like that, never mind spending the time creating the rewards, is probably not anywhere near LL's radar or even realistic.

*By work, I mean being engaging to most users, to the point of improving user retention across the board.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

I'm playing this game which has a daily log in reward and I log in every day to get it. I also do a daily set of quests. I think something like this might work in SL. Log in one day and get twenty lindens. Log in the next and get a pose. Log in fifty days in a row and get a mesh head! Log in one hundred days and get a day with a Linden!

What do you think? Another great idea from me? Or should we put this back into the file drawer?

You are being facetious right? What benefits does LL have to you logging in every day? Why would they give you free things in return for...nothing? This idea is already implemented anyway. You purchase a premium membership and you get a free house, weekly stipend and a premium gift each quarter along with priority support and more groups to sign up for.

So you log in enough to collect your free mesh head. Someone had to make this head so will LL be paying the creator for the ability to give away the item for each person? 

There is already so much free stuff in SL what more of an incentive do you need to log in every day? You could literally log in every day for the next 10 years and get a free item every day without any help from LL.

The reason why it works in the games you are talking about is that the end result is they want you to get hooked enough to actually spend money. You couldn't possibly advance in the game fast enough for most people by just getting the free items and that's what they are hoping for. 

Your numbers are unrealistic anyway. I would say maybe you could get free mesh head after logging on for a year. As far as getting a day with a Linden? Are the moles going to be paid overtime for having to spend a day with a random person that doesn't even have enough invested in the game to get a premium membership? What would you do all day? What would you talk about?

11 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Although it would be really nice if more was made of rez days, even if it was just a cake emoji next to your username everywhere on that day. Anything that drives positive interaction is a good thing IMO.

Now here is an idea that bears looking at. I think this is a great idea! or maybe have a 1, 2, 3..etc year avatar sticker you could put on your profile or in your username.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

I'm playing this game which has a daily log in reward and I log in every day to get it. I also do a daily set of quests.

Loot will have bot army problems, this is true. Instead try achievement titles for our profiles eg

The Resliient - teleported to 20 unique regions in a row with no crash

The Idly Curious - visited 50 Linden Public Works owned lands

The Ancient - logged in at least once a week for 10 years

😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Solar Legion said:

Can't be arsed to log in on a daily basis? Well, that's your own issue now isn't it? If one needs a reward as incentive to coax a log in, one should not be here.

We all have good days and bad days.  On a bad day, anything, no matter how trivial or stupid that helps is worth it.

• Like 2

i can see the idea of a "quest" like paleoquest that was released ages ago for SL users to complete tasks once a week to recieve a total of 50L/week. (also it is still around!)

if a little project was worked on like this by LL again, that could be cool! 

with the idea of daily login rewards: i do not see that being a thing. considering everything by SL creators inside the community, this would break the cycle of that if there were items that were made as daily login rewards by SL...

Edited by Ignis Dismantled
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The way I've seen it work is that each day you log in you get a reward. It's a cumulative count so you can log in one day and get the first reward and log in five days later and get the second reward. It's more of an incentive to keep people playing when they first join. The rewards seem to be the key to this whole idea.

2 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

The way I've seen it work is that each day you log in you get a reward. It's a cumulative count so you can log in one day and get the first reward and log in five days later and get the second reward. It's more of an incentive to keep people playing when they first join. The rewards seem to be the key to this whole idea.

i can see what you are saying. if the lindens and certain creators from SL come together to do this as a trial event, i could see it being a thing.

A Happy Rez Day mail from LL for each still active member would be nice.
That could be simply automated and personalized. And the card only needs updated once a year.
Or a small in world present on that day. Like diamonds for the ladies and a Harley for the guys.

Incentives for a daily log in, I don't know, money would only make people game the system as others already pointed out, and gifts?
How many new unsolicited junk can you handle a year?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Is it really a way to keep people playing or a way to inflate it's user base numbers?   Yeah, question one is "the jaded question".   Question two...what kind of reward and what does it do for you?  If it gives you something like an advantage to win in your said game above, that's a game with a goal advantage.  SL doesn't have any advantages to win.  Is this game, in the reward it gives you, is it giving you something that gives you incentive to keep trying to win?  

Edited by FairreLilette

8 hours ago, Orwar said:

My first SL account recently turned 10. Would have been nice with some cake at least ...

They used to give out automated rez-day cakes. It didn't do a lot for me, but it didn't cost anything either. Probably it broke for some obscure reason of upgrade incompatibility or something and they convinced themselves it wasn't personalized enough. Or maybe they got some negative feedback about it being "creepy" that Big Brother Linden was keeping tabs on Privacy-protecting Patriots Residents.

14 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Remember dwell?

Yeah, I've been reminded of Dwell in a couple of other recent threads, too. I think the objective here is kinda different, but the caution (already noted) against alt-gaming is clearly warranted here, too. Of course, in it's most innocent conception, Dwell was well-intentioned, too: incentivize creation of SL experiences that visitors find attractive enough to stick around a while.

Thinking about it more, I'm less interested in whether long-time SL users login frequently (which might indeed have some benefit to the platform, but it would seem to need a very sophisticated reward system to have any meaning to such users) than an early motivational boost to get new sign-ups addicted accustomed to returning. Maybe that's what Linden Realms and similar "games"are supposed to do. I wonder if the Lab is promoting those L$-rewarding games to the right cohort and has data about their success.

It might be very different if somehow, magically, true newbies (excluding alts) were eligible for more generous and forgiving games, from which they could be gradually weaned and assimilated into the general SL population, the most gentle possible bait-and-switch to what SL is really about.

Apparently it was Pearl S. Buck, not Mahatma Gandhi, who said the true measure of a society is how it treats its most vulnerable: the youngest and the most elderly. Anyway, those "true newbies" are precious, if only they could be found.

• Like 1

Such systems aren't inherently bad, even if there is the potential to game them a little. 

Remember ratings partys? Stupidly gamed. Made quite a few friends in the process though.

When the gaming gets excessive, then the systems need to be updated and replaced, not removed entirely.

@Bree Giffen How about leveling up for bragging rights?  It is a move-at-your-own-pace option with no actual prizes and specific to each account to prevent gamification. 

Start newbies off with Open a Box and Change Your Shirt - level 1

End with take an Inworld Class on Blender and Make Something - level 2000!

(or end with Become a Linden or a Mole - level 1,000,000)

• Sad 1

Renaming the thread to "How to turn Second Life into a crappy MMORPG" would be more accurate. The two are not compatible. Do you really want SL to be another The Sims? Do you really want to make your avatar go to the bathroom to relieve itself, bathe, eat and sleep? All those things we have to do in RL but wish we didn't so we'd have more time for the things we need and want to do.

Why am I even bothering. No one is going to hear, much less actually listen. No one ever does.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Definitely not a L$ reward from Linden Lab, because that's just ripe for scammers, but I can see that some stores might use a similar model for promotions. Like, have an outfit per week, which is in pieces like a gacha, and you have to visit the store every day to pick up the next piece in the outfit. 

I remember a store years and years ago doing something similar. 

44 minutes ago, Lewis Luminos said:

Definitely not a L$ reward from Linden Lab, because that's just ripe for scammers, but I can see that some stores might use a similar model for promotions. Like, have an outfit per week, which is in pieces like a gacha, and you have to visit the store every day to pick up the next piece in the outfit. 

I remember a store years and years ago doing something similar. 

I was starting to think the same thing. If LL doesn’t do it a store could try a daily visit reward. Maybe an event could do it too. Maybe a person could offer a daily visit reward to their friends. 

6 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Renaming the thread to "How to turn Second Life into a crappy MMORPG" would be more accurate. The two are not compatible. Do you really want SL to be another The Sims? Do you really want to make your avatar go to the bathroom to relieve itself, bathe, eat and sleep? All those things we have to do in RL but wish we didn't so we'd have more time for the things we need and want to do.

Why am I even bothering. No one is going to hear, much less actually listen. No one ever does.

You say that as if there is a any significant portion of people in this thread agreeing with the idea.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1095 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.