Does it matter?

Blaze Ravenhurst

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1114 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone. I am a returning citizen who has been away for a few years. As with many other people, the pandemic and staying home brought me back to SL. I have been playing for a month and I know that some people do not open up to ppl that just arrived. I do have my old account that should be around 10 or 11 years old. I decided not to update my old account and start fresh. Should I connect my old account to my new account via profile so people know Im not some alt trying to play them? Does it matter? Would that change anything? Thank you.

• Like 2

Hard to say if it would (will) matter; it depends on the people involved -- but years do give you some form of credibility whether really earned or not :D.   

Why don't  you update your old avatar and see if there is a difference. That is the only way you will really know.   You can get a decent almost free male avatar at altamura via group. Clothing is a bit tricky for that but can be done  OR (not really sure why BLAZE would be a guy to me but hey) if you are a gal it is much easier. You can have a good looking avatar to for no cost at all, just some time and legwork. 

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Blaze Ravenhurst said:

I did not think about it before I created the account. I spent a lot on my new avatar, including an annual membership. 

I'd think the only people you might want to tell are friends you were close to IF you run into them.  Otherwise, I think new beginnings are great.  If you want, do as I did and just put in your profile when you originally joined.  No other info needed.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Blaze Ravenhurst said:

Hello everyone. I am a returning citizen who has been away for a few years. As with many other people, the pandemic and staying home brought me back to SL. I have been playing for a month and I know that some people do not open up to ppl that just arrived. I do have my old account that should be around 10 or 11 years old. I decided not to update my old account and start fresh. Should I connect my old account to my new account via profile so people know Im not some alt trying to play them? Does it matter? Would that change anything? Thank you.

It shouldn't matter. You can always just put something in your profile to tell people you're back in sl after a long hiatus. I see that in profiles quite a lot and it doesn't make those new accounts seem sus at all because it's normal for people to take breaks and they're being open about it.

You've spent money on your new account already. I'd say don't turn back.

• Like 5

I think most people can tell if you are really new to SL or not. SL can be a pretty sttep learning curve, and when you meet someone with a new account who obviouly is well along on that curve, for me at least the assumption is this isnt thier first time in SL. I for one dont really care how old you are though.

• Like 4

I think beginning again is best.   If you are like me most friends you had in your old life are gone. What few are left I don't really want to be around.  

Funny story.   I was at a Sim and I saw one of my friends from my old ava that, herself, had been out of pocket for close to 8 years.    I IMed her and said (name changed to protect the innocent) "MaryJane  I haven't seen you in years"    She says, "And you are?"    She had no idea I had this ava.   After some explanation we have connected and we are good friends again.   She is the ONLY one who knows my old ava.  Well, my wife, but I've never logged that ava for her to see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't try point your profile to your old avatar as PROOF of age. Anyone can write anything in their profile. Suffice to say this is a new incarnation of a previous avatar and let it go.

I think Chic, above, has it right. Depending on who you are talking to it will or won't make a difference.

People judge a book by its cover.

If you've got an avatar that looks like skill or effort went into it, your account age means very little. If anything, people will assume you've been around for a good while.

Likewise a 10 year old account that looks like it's from a decade ago will probably only attract other veterans, and maybe newbies who don't know/look much better.

• Like 2

On 3/26/2021 at 8:56 PM, Blaze Ravenhurst said:

It matters in terms of experience if you want to get a job but otherwise I'd say it doesn't matter.  IF you want to get a job, you could always let any prospective employers know about your previous account and experience.  

On 4/3/2021 at 6:40 PM, FairreLilette said:

It matters in terms of experience if you want to get a job but otherwise I'd say it doesn't matter.  IF you want to get a job, you could always let any prospective employers know about your previous account and experience.  

Pretty much this.... The only thing it matters for is employment and clubs with a rez age kicker... Other than that, enjoy the new you! 

I would try both your old account and the new one. If you go back to your old account, spend some time trying on old stuff and deleting skin and clothing that no longer look good. You can get a free female mesh body that fits Maitreya Lara clothes with the LucyBody MM board. Once you get it, buy the BOM relay for $L 197. This way you can wear the new BOM skins and Maitreya Lara mesh clothes. Genus still has a free mesh head, if you want one too.

If your avi is male, I think Dream has a free male mesh body and Altamura has some free ones at various newbie locations around the grid. Check their store or one of the big freebie groups for more information.

You can always add a profile page to say whatever you want, whether to say you're returning to SL after a break or that another account is your alt.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
Edit for grammer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1114 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.