Home made server?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4713 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok, so I have spoken to a few people, and still am unsure of the posiblity even of a "home made server" for secondlife. Something to host my own land, and be able to possibly build some stuff on. If any person here  has any input on if this is possible or even how to would be nice, or even a pointer in the correct direction, i would be very gratefull. Thank you. ^.^

Opensim is 'like' SL and uses the same viewer but it'll be on your computer and only you'll be able to get to it unless you make it public.  Even so, your grid will not be able to connect to/with SL itself.

(@ Shockwave: er, 2011 mate.  Are you ok?  Multi-floor buildings have been in Opensim for quite some time.  Perhaps you're thinking of mesh import and definable physics?)

Um, OpenSim is what you might want to see. There are a few that left and went to opensim and I think one grid allows you to connect your server to it...maybe another one or two as well. Some are very low cost, but lack soem scripting and physics stuff. No vehicles is the general thing I notice. They also have a different land mapping thing (I made a neato offroad terrain and was unable to convert it and get around to uploading it etc. AND didn't want to rent a sim in world just to play around with terrain import...long story from a while back lol) and....yeah, no vehicles is all I remember.

Now, I say that BUT I did see that there is some kind of vehicle because some guy built Le Mans replica on a bunch of sims! Now, that is the great thing about no 100usd$ plus sim costs! You can make a HUGE expanive area and have some fun.

They do have physics engines BTW. But no vehicle code. I think you might still be able to use llMoveTo and scoot around. But it is not the same!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4713 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.