Partnering with your alt?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 208 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I can see why some may wish to do this - in order to avoid getting unwelcome attention. However the vast majority of people will probably not pay any attention to what is in your profile anyway.

• Like 5

Seriously - you're not going to get a general consensus for two reasons.

Firstly - these forums are far from representative of the majority of people in SL, and

Secondly - it's all down to context. As in WHY a person is doing it.

I've seen a number of reasons for it ... some make more sense than others to me, and no doubt the way I see it is very different to the way others see it.

The partner field serves more than one function; not just for an actual partner. For example, I've seen store owners partner with their CSR or store related alt. So really, do whatever you want with that. But if you partner an alt and then go on to pretend your alt is a real person and tell all your friends about your fake relationship, that probably won't work out well and is a little icky.

I was partnered to my alt, Snugs, for more than a decade. I did this to give myself an explanation for why I never got IMs from amorous admirers.

I wasn't prepared for the anger Snugs showed when I dumped her for my current partner who, as far as I can tell, is not me.

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, AnthonyJoanne said:

Seriously - you're not going to get a general consensus for two reasons.

Firstly - these forums are far from representative of the majority of people in SL, and

Secondly - it's all down to context. As in WHY a person is doing it.

I've seen a number of reasons for it ... some make more sense than others to me, and no doubt the way I see it is very different to the way others see it.

So.. I'm not allowed to know what people think of an idea?  But I thought that's WHY one would post to a fourm... To get ideas.

Thank you for informing what the forums are for! Because clearly I was wrong in my line of thinking.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Eseme Nova said:

So.. I'm not allowed to know what people think of an idea?  But I thought that's WHY one would post to a fourm...

OK, turn a warning that, quite likely, you won't get representative replies into "you must not ask such a personal question, unworthy!", but alright.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Eseme Nova said:

So.. I'm not allowed to know what people think of an idea?  But I thought that's WHY one would post to a fourm... To get ideas.

Thank you for informing what the forums are for! Because clearly I was wrong in my line of thinking.

That is nonsense. Of course you're allowed to ask for opinions here.

He was only pointing out that you are likely to get lots of different responses with widely differing opinions, and that those opinions are not necessarily representative of the entire SL population. That doesn't mean you cant ask, only that you should exercise caution as to the usefulness of the answers.

The only things that you are not allowed to do on the forums are things that have been expressly prohibited by Linden Lab's Terms of Service. Or if you are told not to do something by a Linden or a Moderator.

Edited by Lewis Luminos
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, Eseme Nova said:

LOL!

30 minutes ago, TT120 said:

Now what the hell am I supposed to do?????

Hm, usually in SL it'll mean she'll want to move in and share the prim allowance for your home, but probably without paying any rent, and usually going way over the limit until your 4-prim photo setup barely fits, and also a ton of wardrobe and makeup and stuff, and then she'll want to go dancing or some equally dull activity wherein you'll be expected to lead the conversation and freaks out if you can't come up with anything to say because it means you aren't interested enough ...

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

I don't see a bad reason to partner with alts if its more of a prevent the creeps away its a good thing or more for just fill the space so no one asks you to partner up and break up within a day to a week later. its not a bad thing to me I've done it before mostly with a friend who had an alt who was needing protection from creeps. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Orwar said:

Hm, usually in SL it'll mean she'll want to move in and share the prim allowance for your home, but probably without paying any rent, and usually going way over the limit until your 4-prim photo setup barely fits, and also a ton of wardrobe and makeup and stuff, and then she'll want to go dancing or some equally dull activity wherein you'll be expected to lead the conversation and freaks out if you can't come up with anything to say because it means you aren't interested enough ...

Exactly, and why would you want it any other way?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think a lot more people do it than would admit to it.  Some people just don't want to "date" and partnering an Alt is the easiest way to avoid that. So is saying you are married in RL when you are not. 

On 3/25/2021 at 9:11 AM, AdminGirl said:

The partner field serves more than one function; not just for an actual partner. For example, I've seen store owners partner with their CSR or store related alt. So really, do whatever you want with that. But if you partner an alt and then go on to pretend your alt is a real person and tell all your friends about your fake relationship, that probably won't work out well and is a little icky.

Not sure why it would be "icky".  You would essentially be roleplaying the Alt as your partner.  It's on the same line as playing the opposite sex and not telling anyone.  

Edited by Sam1 Bellisserian

38 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Not sure why it would be "icky".  You would essentially be roleplaying the Alt as your partner.  It's on the same line as playing the opposite sex and not telling anyone.  

Roleplaying I get, which includes playing the opposite sex (in my opinion anyway). But I was talking more about actual lying to people you are close with outside of RP. I can imagine if close friends have given someone their trust, they might not appreciate being told made up stories? But I know everyone has a different approach to sl.

• Like 2

On 3/25/2021 at 8:02 AM, Madelaine McMasters said:

I was partnered to my alt, Snugs, for more than a decade. I did this to give myself an explanation for why I never got IMs from amorous admirers.

I wasn't prepared for the anger Snugs showed when I dumped her for my current partner who, as far as I can tell, is not me.

You and Snugs are no more? Wow. I've admired you both from afar, here in the forums.

Now I feel the same from when Brad and Angelina (or Jennifer) went separate ways. End of an era.

Comparing to Johnny and Amber would be over kill.

16 hours ago, Orwar said:

You missed out the bit where she demands money to buy a new mesh body and head. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, TT120 said:

I created an alt and then asked her out.  She said yes.  Now what the hell am I supposed to do?????

Send her to fetch that once in a lifetime head offering.
That will keep her subtracted for the rest of the day.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jerilynn Lemon said:

You and Snugs are no more? Wow. I've admired you both from afar, here in the forums.

Now I feel the same from when Brad and Angelina (or Jennifer) went separate ways. End of an era.

Comparing to Johnny and Amber would be over kill.

Thank you, Jerilynn.

It is the end of an era, though I can't say I'm heartbroken. It's nice to have someone to share the frustration that is Maddy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 208 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.