Page for the Latest Places opening in SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1124 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am always looking for new places to visit in world and am excited when I find a newly opened spot. But there doesn't seem to be a page showing the latest openings. I am wondering how difficult it would be to have one of these on secondlife.com? It would be good promo for new business owners and might elp increase traffic.

Any thoughts on this?

41 minutes ago, CeleneHighwater said:

I am always looking for new places to visit in world and am excited when I find a newly opened spot. But there doesn't seem to be a page showing the latest openings. I am wondering how difficult it would be to have one of these on secondlife.com? It would be good promo for new business owners and might elp increase traffic.

Any thoughts on this?

Feel free to submit a JIRA for the new idea:  https://jira.secondlife.com

Given how quickly - NOT - they are fixing existing problems, I wouldn't hold my breath for anything new, even if someone decides it might be a good idea.

14 hours ago, CeleneHighwater said:

Any thoughts on this?

I would think another path to implementation of this good idea is to urge the Lindens to change their rules in the "suggested places" part of the forum, or add another rubric. Currently, you can't suggest your own place that has just opened, or any place of yours. You can only suggest someone else's place, new or old. Of course like everything in SL, squads of girlfriends come and pack this and pretend they have just independently "discovered" something. Still, that section isn't without merits; I think like "events" or "land for rent" there should be "public places" listing where you can list your own place or someone else's that is interesting.

You would not want LL to automatically publish a report of newly opened sims. For one, it culd cause privacy issues. Sim owners may not want to go public. Two, when a sim 'opens', it may not be ready for public view yet, because duh, it needs work.

So this new sim announcement system would have to be on a voluntary basis, with an opt-in intervention from the sim owner, whenever they feel like announcing it.

So what remains is a system to report the newly opened sim to some web service, say, the Destination Guide...

Wait, what? It already exists?

Yay! Problem solved. Next thread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

So what remains is a system to report the newly opened sim to some web service, say, the Destination Guide...

when this feature first came out a person who is a grumpy bear person got their parcel listed as a Editors Pick.  Which they didn't know about, somebody else had nominated them

for the next couple of weeks they got overrun by both new people and older explorers  random visiting. The grumpy bear struggled thru it all. Tried as best they could to be polite and tolerant, but they ever so wanted to just tell the visitors to get off their lawn! Because all that politeness and tolerance was ruining their grumpy bear reputation

21 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

You would not want LL to automatically publish a report of newly opened sims. For one, it culd cause privacy issues. Sim owners may not want to go public. Two, when a sim 'opens', it may not be ready for public view yet, because duh, it needs work.

So this new sim announcement system would have to be on a voluntary basis, with an opt-in intervention from the sim owner, whenever they feel like announcing it.

21 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

I never thought of that. Also didn’t know sims could be submitted to the guide. This is great info as I have some great place ideas that might not be in there yet. I bet we all do! Maybe we should have a thread about places to suggest. :)

On 3/26/2021 at 6:01 AM, CeleneHighwater said:

I never thought of that. Also didn’t know sims could be submitted to the guide. This is great info as I have some great place ideas that might not be in there yet. I bet we all do! Maybe we should have a thread about places to suggest. :)

You can't submit random places. They need to be places where you're connected (the full explanation is found in the FAQ for adding new places... scroll right down to the bottom to see the links for that). Some owners might not have thought of doing it though, so you could always suggest it to them.

I recently had an idea of creating a 3rd party system and a website for this.

It would be a website indexing and categorizing virtual lands and listing the best ones on top by popular votes. It would also track land traffic.

If done right it could end up becoming a search index for all SL virtual world related things that could in future replace, add to SL search or become a better co-existing alternative.

Many similar land voting systems exist already but noone has yet done it in the right way for it to scale. And the money for development would need to come from advertising (similar ways Google did it).

I am not sure I would want to get into such massive project at this time as I already have much on my plate.

But I really like the idea and I know for sure it would improve Second Life for many as the people would then be able to find lands with most active communities around them.

And the professional sim designers would design outstanding sims at places that are actually alive and vibrant community wise.

Edited by Wili Clip
  • Haha 1

I think we're all better off relying on a trusted and informed "curator"—a blogger, say—with interests compatible to our own. Personally, I most often consult Inara Pey's blog for information about recent sim updates and openings.

I'd surely rather take her word for it than that of gamified "voters" or whichever outfit throws the most advertising money at an... uh... entrepreneur. Of course bloggers get some "advertising" compensation, but the trusted ones will never accept ads from content sources they review.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1124 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.