Are we ever going to be able to Fly in SL again?

Aishagain

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1072 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Irina Forwzy said:

News to me.  I have boats and planes. I haven't used them yet though.  I wonder if there are some that allow script edits to be made. May need to look into that.  I don't sail all that much but I tend to do a yearly trip. (Last year was an exception).

These modifications are free and cover a lot of boats and should work for any vehicle using avsit:

This one for avsit1:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/AVsitter-129-fix-for-vehicles/20869617

and this for avsit2:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Cs-region-crossing-patches-for-AVsitter22-3/21179378

and this for the old bandit 25R

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/AVsitter-conversion-for-Bandit-25R/21410396

Edited by Aethelwine

15 hours ago, animats said:

That's really it. 

Long description deleted

I think I shall go and sob helplessly in this corner.

So many vehicles have no-modify scripts.

I have to wait for the vehicle creator to sort this out.

As far as I can tell, the Lindens have managed to break 18 years of vehicle scripting, and they can't even fix their own sample scripts.

• Like 2

On 3/26/2021 at 2:50 AM, arabellajones said:

On 3/25/2021 at 8:58 PM, Irina Forwzy said:

I wonder if there are some that allow script edits to be made. May need to look into that.

Installing the avsitter fix does not require that you modify any scripts.  Nearly all vehicles are mod builds with nomod scripts.  All you have to do is delete the old avsitter script(s) and put in the new one(s).  It's very simple.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2021 at 5:50 AM, arabellajones said:

Sadly, besides no-mod scripts—which as@Nika Talajpoints out can be simply replaced—many vehicles are sold as no-mod objects, and scripts cannot be replaced (nor reset, etc.) within a no-mod object.

I'll never understand why anybody would buy such pre-obsoleted products, but at every big sales event you'll find well-known brands with these practically useless vehicles.

52 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

I'll never understand why anybody would buy such pre-obsoleted products, but at every big sales event you'll find well-known brands with these practically useless vehicles.

Because not everyone buy things for the same reason? I don't care about cars functionality myself, especially region crossing one as I don't explore mainland in any way. But I bought a few cars I did like a lot (mostly unique builds, not from those overused FP meshes and with terrible ACS scripts) for decor purposes for my region, and rare fun evening with friends on the track I rezz in the skies for that. Some of them are no mod. But as much as I like to mod stuff, and how I would never buy a no-mod furniture or landscape things, those cars do what I need from them as they are.

@Drake1 Nightfire It is not written in the lore but it is just good manners not to shoot down anyone flying over your property at several hundred metres by setting your orb to zero or less than 10 seconds.  Around airports in SL I see that most land owners set their orbs to 60 seconds, which gives us time to clear their property.  That is good manners.

Setting less than 10 seconds is just plain rude.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Aishagain said:

@Drake1 Nightfire It is not written in the lore but it is just good manners not to shoot down anyone flying over your property at several hundred metres by setting your orb to zero or less than 10 seconds.  Around airports in SL I see that most land owners set their orbs to 60 seconds, which gives us time to clear their property.  That is good manners.

Setting less than 10 seconds is just plain rude.

So then y'all are telling people to file false Abuse Reports.. Talk about wasting LL time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would be grateful for some advice on the script problem, that I have read about here.

I am thinking of buying a boat.

Does the script problem mean that it is not advisable to buy, say, a new boat, because it will no longer function properly, therefore making the purchase a waste of money?

Thank you for your help.

3 hours ago, JaredJason said:

I would be grateful for some advice on the script problem, that I have read about here.

I am thinking of buying a boat.

Does the script problem mean that it is not advisable to buy, say, a new boat, because it will no longer function properly, therefore making the purchase a waste of money?

Thank you for your help.

The problem that is being talked about makes sailing an unmodified boat a little unpleasant at some bad region crossings.  Otherwise most boats from reputable makers are okay.  The thing to watch for is the ability to edit the body of the boat (it's not necessary to be able to edit the scripts, but to change them out).

On top of that, some makers use Avsitter scripts, and you can clearly see them in the content when you edit the boat - there are free updates for these; but some makers use their own proprietary scripts, and only the maker can issue updates to those.

So if the boat uses Avsitter (check the demo), and you can add and delete scripts from the contents, you should be fine.    You MAY be fine with a boat that uses no-mod proprietary scripts, but it depends on the maker - we can't advise here on that.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

So then y'all are telling people to file false Abuse Reports.. Talk about wasting LL time. 

I really have no idea what you mean @Drake1 Nightfire.  How is asking folk to not set their Security Orbs to ten seconds or less asking folk to file false ARs?  Are you saying that you equate folk that like to fly around SL with griefers? 

Since currently ownership of a parcel extends that land area out to the SL equivalent of infinity, all they need to to do to hide from being observed (if that is their particular paranoia) is rez asingle prim at, say 200m, the size of their parcel.  Is that too hard?  My choice would be to limit  "no fly" bans to say 500m above which we could overfly regions unmolested. 

Its the old issue of  one person's freedom being another's intrusion, I guess.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Aishagain said:

I really have no idea what you mean @Drake1 Nightfire.  How is asking folk to not set their Security Orbs to ten seconds or less asking folk to file false ARs?  Are you saying that you equate folk that like to fly around SL with griefers? 

Perhaps you have missed the several people in this thread telling people to AR the security orbs. There is no rule anywhere that says what I have to set MY security orb to on MY land. Is it common decency to let people have a minute or so to fly away, yes. Do i have to, no.

54 minutes ago, Aishagain said:

Since currently ownership of a parcel extends that land area out to the SL equivalent of infinity, all they need to to do to hide from being observed (if that is their particular paranoia) is rez a single prim at, say 200m, the size of their parcel.  Is that too hard?  My choice would be to limit  "no fly" bans to say 500m above which we could overfly regions unmolested. 

Its the old issue of  one person's freedom being another's intrusion, I guess.

That's all well and good for you.. What if my sky box it at 500M? I have a cave system in the sky that is over 150M tall. Who are you to tell me where I have to place it so you can fly over the land I pay for? 

Whats next, requiring people to allow others to drive on their lawn? "Hey, I have a dirt bike. You shouldn't have a security orb that bounces me from driving on your back yard!" 

I used to get people crashing into my skyhome all the time when i lived on mainland. Main reason i moved to an island estate. No self important pilots claiming their right to fly superseded my rights as a land owner.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Main reason i moved to an island estate.

Does anybody think the Lab should exercise constraints on security devices on Estate lands? Isn't that always up to the Estate owner?

On Mainland there's only the Governor to impose any constraints at all. And yet folks object to the Lab enforcing "good neighbor" constraints that Estate owners almost universally adopt for those regions they lease to multiple tenants. Hard to find an appealing Estate that allows hair-trigger orbs except with a full-region rental? Golly, now why might that be?

It's been years, but I'm pretty sure I remember an official minimum warning interval for Mainland security devices, but that would have been way back when Governance reported to Jack and now I doubt there's any point ARing violations on Mainland proper, as opposed to Bellisseria. At least it's been a while since I've seen anybody whine about Bellisseria having a minimum warning interval. Even that was a bitchfest for a hot minute, as if the Lab must never be permitted to administer land for popular appeal.

@Drake1 NightfireWell indeed, Drake, who am I to tell you anything.  I'd never thought of myself as "self-important"; the implication is just not appropriate.

I had no thought to drive anyone into hyperbole of resentment, but your point about skyboxes is well made and was in my seemingly vast blind spot.

I think the maxim "Good Neighbour" is one that we all should accept and apply, whether on Mainland or anywhere withing SL.

But I draw back from telling anyone to do anything.

I managed to make a flight with an aircraft from Satori ti Bay City, but the current map functionality and the region crossings are both barely adequate.

For the new "Chalet" regions there is a broad water channel, not currently showing on map tiles, so you can fly on VFR.

Routing over the "Stilt" regions also has a lot of open water. From then on, a medium altitude route works. I reached the west coast of Bellisseria just to the south of the Galaxy cruise ship, north to Sansara, and then was flying on familiar ground over the various seas/lakes to Bay City.

Current map functionality is OK, but aircraft are too fast-moving. And with no map tiles for so many regions on this route, it's difficult. The Chalet regions channel was mostly visible in Firestorm as having no parcel divisions on the minimap. There just isn't any way to plan.

On 3/31/2021 at 4:34 PM, Drake1 Nightfire said:

What exactly are you all reporting orb owners for? Where is it written that they have to set their orb on their property to a certain time?

Bellessaria and some of the private estates prohibit too-fast security orbs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, animats said:

Bellessaria and some of the private estates prohibit too-fast security orbs.

I would guess the first step is reporting it to the land owner or estate manager, rather than an AR. ARs are for things that break LL rules. If your first instinct when coming across a rapid fire orb is to file an AR, you might want to stop and take a look at your self importance levels. 

• Thanks 1

Started from Spurness, south end of the Jeogeot Gulf, flying a Catalina, reached southern Satori OK, and struggled with skyboxes, banlines, and insecurity orbs nearly to Tuulikki on the Coastal Waterway, when I got thoroughly screwed by a region crossing that made my camera position unusable.

Where Linden Lab do have rules, I have no idea if they ever enforce them. Making an AR is about as useful as reporting a white man to a cop in Missouri.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, arabellajones said:

reached southern Satori OK, and struggled with skyboxes, banlines, and insecurity orbs

I made a trip by air from my place on the west coast of Bellessaria to GTFO HQ in Bruissac. Almost made it in one flight, until I was shot down by a zero-second security orb near Angels Airports. That was a long flight in a little Duoquito helicopter.

Southern Satori seems to be an especially bad place for security orbs. You can tell it's a bad area of mainland when you see lots of parcels with big walls around them. Just like in RL.

As I've said before, if you want that kind of isolation, get a parcel from one of those landlords who operates a non-continent of little isolated squares. LL should offer a land swap deal, where you can swap your walled or sky-domed parcel for a parcel of the same size and shape on a non-continent. Then you can be alone, walled off from the world, without others having to deal with your obstacles. That would help clean up mainland without much cost to LL.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

There is no amount of open/unconnected land/sea/air space/cosmos, nor region/world size that can satiate a vehicle supremacist's/sovereign citizen's needs. None.

There will always be something/someone/somewhere to complaint about and always more needs cited and rules to be adjusted in their own personal favor.

Amen.

Edited by Lucia Nightfire
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, animats said:

As I've said before, if you want that kind of isolation, get a parcel from one of those landlords who operates a non-continent of little isolated squares. LL should offer a land swap deal, where you can swap your walled or sky-domed parcel for a parcel of the same size and shape on a non-continent. Then you can be alone, walled off from the world, without others having to deal with your obstacles. That would help clean up mainland without much cost to LL.

or, Linden can make a very big continent with an open sky corridor for aviators and call it Bellissaria

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1072 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.