• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Roughly a week after my one and only SL partnering & wedding, the guy told me that he had been in a terrible car accident and had a head injury that was severely limiting his activities - and the

I'm quite sure it's happened in the past and will.continue to happen.  Unless you have some RL contact info, there really is no way to know for sure.  Just recently, I noticed someone hadn't logged on

I haven't knowingly encountered anyone who has faked their own death but I do know someone who, after the actual death of his SL partner, faked being the "grieving widower", fleeced funds from his fri

Posted Images

I've never known of anyone pretend to die but sadly I've known a few people who actually have, a couple of those and one quite recently affected me quite badly. I do know that these were not faked and to be quite honest I think to fake it and put people through a process of grief is a cruddy thing to do and if they did magically reappear I would have nothing to do with them.

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

I know a person that 'died' in RL and in SL back in 2012 and a lot of friends and acquaintances were devastated, including me.  That avatar has not logged-on since then.  However, this same person told me names of some of their alts in casual conversation some time prior to the event.  Sure enough, one by one the alts starting appearing and following old habits, behaviors, decorating of sims, same clothing etc.  Then, somewhere along the way the newest alt mentioned yet another alt that was new to me, but had been around for long before I came to SL.  A couple years later while shopping, there he was with a partner and my notes in his profile written back-in-the-day confirmed it.

I know another that did something similar and has appeared and reappeared in a similar fashion as several different alts over the years.

I know of two for a fact so I'm certain there are many more.  To their credit, none asked for money.  Regardless, I think it's despicable. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Faking your death is so dumb and hurtful to anyone you called friend in SL. Faking death why? If you are leaving just say that. Always amazed at people sitting behind the screen but rarely surprised anymore.

• Like 5

I suppose some people might think it is less hurtful to pretend you died than to tell people, "sorry I don't want to play with you anymore", but I think a person has to have something wrong with them to think that way.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Minx Kurosawa said:

I know someone who did that too.  

Most of us do.  Or the "I'm going to take a break from SL."  And they're back on an alt the next day if not before they've even left.  One needs time to set up that new alt!

• Like 2

Not that I've ever thought about it, but I just know that I'd never be able to pull it off..

I'd probably end up leaving something in my inventory that I wanted bad enough to try and sneak back on and get..

Daaaaam! now I gotta sneak back on and get them shape measurements.. (mission Impossible theme music starts up)

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

Back before I joined Second Life. I was in another chat called Excite super chat, and a guy I was just friends with decides one day to log in on his name, and pretend to be a cousin saying he was instantly crushed by his van he was working on. Had a group of us all upset and sharing memories that night of our time with him, next day he logs in on same name to go hang out with a new group of friends in another chat room. Then in 2011 I had a guy just up and disappear , had his friends call me in RL, and tell me he was put into prison for assault and battery on a felony level. Only to log in again a few days later under a new name hook up with a girl that was even younger then us both. We're still friends, but he's disappeared again and I don't care. My RL is my SL now, I just find it funny that instead of saying things like "It's not gonna work, or I wanna make new friends. " These two guys did that. 

• Like 1
On 5/5/2021 at 9:49 AM, Rowan Amore said:

Most of us do.  Or the "I'm going to take a break from SL."  And they're back on an alt the next day if not before they've even left.  One needs time to set up that new alt!

Or the "I'm leaving SL if we ever break up" only to be at Teqis trying to pick up women 10 mins AFTER the breakup!

Or does that just happen to me?

• Like 2

Long story, I'll make it short....I was ghosted after knowing someone for 2 years. One day he said he was going away for the weekend. He never signed on again. I knew his alt. and his alt did not sign in either. I kept a look out for him, and googled his name every month or so to see if he died or what happened. I e-mailed a few time, no response. A while goes by, and I stop looking. About a year later I see his avatar appear in one his/our old haunts and is now female with a totally different profile. They state they bought the account or switched accounts. They were very vague. Soon afterwards a friend of mine googled his name and the person who disappeared posted a product review on a popular website.. So now I know hey were alive, and just ghosted ALL his friends (it is not a common name)

Fast forward years later...an acquaintance of mine and I figure out, after I was ghosted and stopped looking for him, his alt became active and dated her for a long time!.

Not too long before this conversation, my  acquaintance said she got a message saying he (as the alt) passed away. Well, I knew his RL name...so  I decided to just have a look on a social media site....and he was alive and going on vacation!

With me, I knew his age where he lived, e-mail, real name etc. With her he said he was 20 years younger, and lied about many things except his occupation, first name and birthdate.

All he had to say was..."bye it was nice knowing ya..."   Cowards!

8 hours ago, Jordan Whitt said:

Or the "I'm leaving SL if we ever break up" only to be at Teqis trying to pick up women 10 mins AFTER the breakup!

Or does that just happen to me?

Well, at least they waited until after the breakup to pick up new women!

Posted (edited)

Makes totally sense.

Someone starts SL and lies and builds some fictional person they want to be. Then add RL into it more and more. (their way of roleplay)
One day they decide to bailout of this - too much self made stress. 😁

But the normal way of making a new avatar doesn't work - too much RL involved. So they do what they can do best. Lying and faking a SL+RL bailout. Moving into the jungle to live as hermit is too difficult to sell so a death story is easier.

Now they are ready for the next round.

Edited by Nova Convair
  • Like 1

and all this is why i dont take sl (which i absolutely love) too serious.

after all it is  a virtual world, btw i always do wonder how some people manage to get hurt here.....but thats  different subject.

OT, I guess, but I have always wished for something different, a way to dramatically suicide in SL and have it wipe your account and everything in it, and block you from returning. Or at least kill you for a week or so before you could log in again. Seems the only way to suicide wrt SL is the boring thing of closing your account or something, and I don't even know if you can do that. And I would guess all your info and everything are still there waiting for you. Needs more finality.

On 5/17/2021 at 6:31 PM, CaerolleClaudel said:

OT, I guess, but I have always wished for something different, a way to dramatically suicide in SL and have it wipe your account and everything in it, and block you from returning. Or at least kill you for a week or so before you could log in again. Seems the only way to suicide wrt SL is the boring thing of closing your account or something, and I don't even know if you can do that. And I would guess all your info and everything are still there waiting for you. Needs more finality.

https://lindenlab.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/31000135218-i-want-to-cancel-my-account-

• Like 1

i will say i knew of someone in the furry/sandbox/slmc community on SL that happened to fake their death numerous times. i will not go into details naming the person since i do not want to bring up drama or start beef.--long story short, this person that recently faked their death less than 6 months ago, basically removing themselves from the communit(ies) mentioned. they left behind their account as a "bot" for security in the sandbox sim they helped run, meanwhile while that sandbox community held an inworld funeral for them with the patrons that came by and the close friends of this specific person. anyways, time goes on for a few weeks, people start noticing gaps in the story that continues to unfold and basically months later, it turned out to be completely faked with them returning on their same account and with my very own eyes, i saw them typing in the chat for that sandbox group chat via SL groups. in conclusion, it baffles me why people do this considering i have actually lost a friend to death/su*c*de, it is tragic. 

Posted (edited)

I have only experienced this once years ago, it was pretty obvious that they were faking it, since "whoever" were telling me that they had died, wrote in the same exact way that the person who apparently died did and was telling me trough their account, I never got it clarified but I thought to myself that it is whatever, I'm not going to bother getting answers when that said person decides to fake their death, so I deleted them as a friend and moved on, I never got to know the reason for it. But to whoever decides to do that as a grown up person, you are disgusting. There are other ways to separate yourself from people and that is simply not it.

Edited by PixelBerry
  • Like 1

I can think just two reasons why someone would fake their own death:

Running from the government.

Running from the Mob.

Faking ones own demise in SL is equivalent to getting involved in a police chase. A long police chase. When pulled over (or pitted), the officer asks why did you run? "I didn't have a driver license and didn't want to be taken to jail". Great answer Einstein, yet here you are.

• Like 1

one of the role play groups, we had a guy that did this,  faked his own real life death with us,  his real reasoning was he wanted to start over in SL, but he rejoined our small RP group right after we sent his avatar into the great unknown.   he outed himself with "well I did die"  he was promptly banned.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Not exactly the same thing, but someone I was close to just disappeared.  I should have seen it coming, because he'd taken a couple of short breaks in recent months, one with warning and one without.  When he came back from the first planned one, he chastised me for not sending him notecards while he was offline.  So his second absence saw notecards sent to him often.  He came back from that for exactly one day, made plans too see me, and then disappeared for nearly a year.  I was devastated.  I thought I'd done something wrong and unforgivable.  Then came the thoughts that something happened to him in RL.  

I became obsessed with trying to find answers.  I sent him notecards and gifts.  I poured my heart out to him.  I begged him to let me know if he was okay.  I checked in with his friends and groups and favourite sims.  I knew of his alt (I'm certain he has more).  When I finally started to let go, even without closure, I started to heal, but it took a long time for me to trust again.  I made major changes - finally getting a different job, opening myself up to people, accepting the inherent good in people, and trusting my gut.

I had finally gotten to the point where I no longer felt compelled to check to see if he'd been online when guess who surfaces.  It turns out he did just need a break.  I'm not sure he received the reception he was looking for, because I wasn't the only one hurt by his departure.  So all the worry and hurt was just a waste.

It did teach me, though, that it's important to try to keep your friends list organized.  Make a group set of those you feel closest to, those you feel close to, and those you're not close to.  And should you feel restless or ambivalent about your SL time, drop a notecard to your contact sets to say so, so they're not blindsided.  And if you make a conscientious decision to take a break, do the same thing.  This is how I would like to be treated, and how I plan treat my SL friends.  If enough people practise this courtesy, maybe it will become the norm.

I think when people disappear from SL, or when they fake their own deaths or illness, it stems from a variety of things:  boredom, arrogance, their inner troll, their desire to see what they can get away with, guilt over neglect of their RL, guilt over misrepresenting themselves in SL... And this goes to the multiple ways that people use SL.  For myself, I try to be as authentic as I can, but sometimes I still get caught up in the moment.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

I just found out that one girl I know vanished off all our mutual friends lists and has gone silent, no messages, can not even be found on search anymore. She deleted her furnishings and returned the skybox I loaned her as well.

?

So she has maybe left SL without any word to anyone which is perhaps rude (a simple Bye! would have sufficed), but at least she didn't pull the "I have cancer and am dying" BS.

So if anyone knows/sees Bastet, or is in touch, let her know me/my male alt, and the others in our small friends group say a friendly "Bye".

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 1