Name Question on G-Rated Sim

CYBEROMANCER

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1128 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

So I'm a bit confused about the rules for G-rated sims. SL is still an 18+ game regardless since LL decided to abandon their teen server years ago. I'm still a bit confused about how these rules are being handled as I essentially got kicked out of a G-rated club because of my avatar's name. Seems kind of weird for the same game that has dozens of racist roleplay clubs :/

20 answers to this question

10 minutes ago, xthottyhoex said:

So I'm a bit confused about the rules for G-rated sims. SL is still an 18+ game regardless since LL decided to abandon their teen server years ago. I'm still a bit confused about how these rules are being handled as I essentially got kicked out of a G-rated club because of my avatar's name. Seems kind of weird for the same game that has dozens of racist roleplay clubs :/

The owner of the sim can make any rules that don't violate LL's TOS. If your name and avatar are too sexual for a G rated sim's host, they are free to block you. 

Your grievances are about two different subjects that are not related. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, xthottyhoex said:

Regardless of what LL allows in a G-rated region, the actual land owner can be more restrictive and can decide for themselves what the rules will be.  Nothing you can do about it, other than comply with their rules.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, xthottyhoex said:

SL is still an 18+ game regardless since LL decided to abandon their teen server years ago

This is incorrect. Yes, they closed the teen grid, but then they decided to allow these same teens on the regular grid where they will have only access to PG regions (assuming they did not lie about their age of course).
If anything, SL is 16+.

From https://www.lindenlab.com/legal/second-life-terms-and-conditions
 image.png.bf7a4499df5bb68535fc0859fd555072.png

• Like 4

5 hours ago, xthottyhoex said:

I see no reason why my avatar wouldn't be allowed on all General rated sims

others already told you why. And i dare to doubt if Lindal's advice will help. People will still see the original name.
No matter if you change it to Sweetie Sugarpie, you would still show as  *****hoe for people, and for many that will show your intentions for your reason to be on sl, true or not.
And if you get reported for a name that isn't according to the guidlines, you could even get reported for it and loose your access to the whole grid.

Edited by Alwin Alcott

7 hours ago, xthottyhoex said:

I would say they actually are quite related. Hoping to see a cultural shift soon of the older players as they are quite rude. 

Here is some sage advise: Don't be choosing names that can come back and bite you later.

Looking at your profile, I see you have been on the grid since late January. Sensing you probably haven't invested a large amount of money here, consider making a new avatar and giving it a name that is more acceptable.

Problem solved.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, xthottyhoex said:

It seems quite weird to employ arbitrary rules onto users considering there really is no set guideline for this. Sorry I don't want to go to "black fetish club #24" all the time. If my character is dressed appropriately there should be no problem. At the most it would be sensible to implement some type of censor onto these sims then if they want to keep this thinly defined idea of "general" and "appropriate". Nonetheless, quite enjoying my time in SL. 

If your name is overtly sexual, as xthottyhoex is, it can both be seen as a violation of G rated TOS rules and it could also be a violation of the individual owner's rules. Privately owned parcels and sims exist at the discretion of the people who pay them. You're the one who chose to have an overtly sexual screen name, and therefore your choice will have the consequence of being seen as inappropriate for some areas which forbid any sexual content. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, xthottyhoex said:

It seems quite weird to employ arbitrary rules onto users considering there really is no set guideline for this. Sorry I don't want to go to "black fetish club #24" all the time. If my character is dressed appropriately there should be no problem. At the most it would be sensible to implement some type of censor onto these sims then if they want to keep this thinly defined idea of "general" and "appropriate". Nonetheless, quite enjoying my time in SL. 

Or the user could implement common sense when choosing a name.  xthottyhoex is neither general nor appropriate unless you're in a brothel.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, xthottyhoex said:

Literally this is the only time I've seen concern with my user. It's PG13 at most. If LindenLabs already allowed my name I see no reason why it would cause hinderance. Unless i'm actively spouting swears I see no reason why my avatar wouldn't be allowed on all General rated sims. It's my gamer girlie name and if I choose for it to be that I should be free too. It's not like I'm swearing. In general, I would just kind of like to see more consistency. 

Would you feel any better if they said you were banned because they did not like your profile picture or did not like your body or just because something about you reminded them of someone they hate and they don't want to be triggered or just because it is Sunday and they don't know you and they don't feel like dealing with strangers.

Point is - the reasons don't really matter.  They can ban you for any reason at all.  You can get pissed about the reason all you want, but it just a waste of your energy.  Go find something else in SL to do --- it is a GIANT place.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, xthottyhoex said:

that I should be free too

You are.  And region owners are free to not like it in their area.  Freedom only works if it works both ways.  As far as consistency goes, SL is as diverse as RL.  People like and dislike different things.  LL has never and will never dictate to region owners who they can and cannot allow into their land.

Seems fairly consistent to me.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 2

@xthottyhoex, I understand your frustration. It might seem that you should be forgiven the "youthful indiscretion" of picking a name that some find offensive. After all, we pick our names before we've experienced what SL is like...but as the others have said, that's up to the land owner.

We had a similar situation a few years back at Caledon Oxbridge University. An avatar with the name "NatashaFetishQueen" wanted to join the staff of our definitely G-rated organization. There were indeed some people who felt that her name would be a problem, but Tasha has been a wonderful asset to the COU faculty. I'm glad that the more tolerant opinions prevailed!

There is one thing you could try...add a Display Name that's more G-rated.

While people will still be able to see your registered user name if they choose, and may still choose to ban you because of it, it would at least show a desire on your part to conform to a more family-friendly standard. Come to think of it, that's exactly what Tasha did.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

@xthottyhoex, I understand your frustration. It might seem that you should be forgiven the "youthful indiscretion" of picking a name that some find offensive. After all, we pick our names before we've experienced what SL is like...but as the others have said, that's up to the land owner.

We had a similar situation a few years back at Caledon Oxbridge University. An avatar with the name "NatashaFetishQueen" wanted to join the staff of our definitely G-rated organization. There were indeed some people who felt that her name would be a problem, but Tasha has been a wonderful asset to the COU faculty. I'm glad that the more tolerant opinions prevailed!

There is one thing you could try...add a Display Name that's more G-rated.

While people will still be able to see your registered user name if they choose, and may still choose to ban you because of it, it would at least show a desire on your part to conform to a more family-friendly standard. Come to think of it, that's exactly what Tasha did.

Ah perfect, thank you for understanding the situation and oh great I didn't know that was an option but will definitely try it out! 

11 minutes ago, Jerilynn Lemon said:

Here is some sage advise: Don't be choosing names that can come back and bite you later.

Looking at your profile, I see you have been on the grid since late January. Sensing you probably haven't invested a large amount of money here, consider making a new avatar and giving it a name that is more acceptable.

Problem solved.

or.. get premium for a month and take a new name :) ($$$) .. in case there is a valuable inventory

• Like 1

10 hours ago, xthottyhoex said:

It seems quite weird to employ arbitrary rules onto users considering there really is no set guideline for this.

the guidelines in SL are the same as they are in the real world as governed the State of California, USA, where Linden is located

the real world rule/guideline is that when we are on another person's private property then that person may as they choose require us to leave, and to prevent access as they also choose,  and they are not obliged to give us a reason for doing so

Parcels in SL are seen as private property, similar to RL rental properties. For the purpose of access, the renter is the property owner

9 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

No matter if you change it to Sweetie Sugarpie, you would still show as  *****hoe for people, and for many that will show your intentions for your reason to be on sl, true or not.
And if you get reported for a name that isn't according to the guidlines, you could even get reported for it and loose your access to the whole grid.

You're so grumpy today! Here, have a sticky bun...

You're right that offensive names can be reported. But LL is not eager to lose customers. If they find a user name to be offensive, they'll most likely change it rather than issuing a permanent ban...unless the owner of that name is guilty of other violations of the Terms of Service.

G rated, is G rated.  My first line of business when I joined was to understand (by experience and research, not argument) how to set up my stuff without possibility of being in-scene with someone under the age of majority *anywhere*.  Just not worth the risk of any "misunderstandings" in text etc.  I highly recommend that approach.  Learn the ropes first, then after you are confident you know what you are doing, set yourself up (as above) with a new avi name/account and use this one as your alt.  It isn't as though that isn't possible or that it is highly complex to do.  But it will keep you from having someone officially question you about their own interpretation that you were presenting inappropriate sexually implicit content to underage minors.  While you learn for your own benefit, if you don't appreciate the snub about this avi name, then hang out on some Moderate and Adult rated places. It somewhat comes down to a good argument for why SL made the rules as they are in the first place.  

Edited by Kyrie Deka

6 minutes ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

One might argue that going to a sim and violating the rules of conduct and then complaining about it on the board is quite rude. 

13 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Or the user could implement common sense when choosing a name.  xthottyhoex is neither general nor appropriate unless you're in a brothel.

Literally this is the only time I've seen concern with my user. It's PG13 at most. If LindenLabs already allowed my name I see no reason why it would cause hinderance. Unless i'm actively spouting swears I see no reason why my avatar wouldn't be allowed on all General rated sims. It's my gamer girlie name and if I choose for it to be that I should be free too. It's not like I'm swearing. In general, I would just kind of like to see more consistency. 

30 minutes ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

The owner of the sim can make any rules that don't violate LL's TOS. If your name and avatar are too sexual for a G rated sim's host, they are free to block you. 

Your grievances are about two different subjects that are not related. 

I would say they actually are quite related. Hoping to see a cultural shift soon of the older players as they are quite rude. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1128 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.