Access to Linden home

Kathlen Onyx

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1099 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I can't seem to add my alt to my linden home as an estate manager or even as someone that is always allowed.  They can't operate the doors or "set home to here" I tried to use the security hud and add them to both access list but that doesn't work either. Even people I add through the security hub to allow the to visit can't operate the doors.  Hopefully that isn't the way it's set up because it's becoming an irritating feature to have to continually open doors for people especially since you can't TP around the house anymore.  I also tried to set the access to group to no avail.  If someone could walk me through being able to allow my alts to access doors and also to set home to my linden house I'd appreciate it.  Thanks!

For all of you to be able to 'set home' to the parcel, you just need to set the parcel (using the land menu) to a group that both the land owner and your alts belong to (most people make a group for themselves, their alts, and their partner (if any) and THEIR alts).  That also will allow anyone in the group to rez objects.

To control who can operate doors and windows, the parcel owner uses the HOUSE controller (on the inside wall near the front door), not the security system.  The owner touches the house controller, and uses the ACCESS submenu.  There is a full explanation of the slightly confusing way ACCESS works in the notecard you can get from the parcel controller (the one where you choose which model of house you want).  But here, I can paste that part of the notecard for you.

4. The ACCESS option is only visible for you, the owner. It gives you the following options. Please note that the ACCESS options do not control permission to rez objects in your home, or change its music stream. Manage those permissions by creating a group for your home and using the World >> About Land menu in your viewer. They also do not control access to your parcel. Manage parcel access by using the Linden Homes Security System available from the House Controller or by using a system that meets the same standards. ( Consult the Linden Homes covenant and instructions with the Security System for details.)

a. The ADD NAME option lets you add the name of any person to a list of people that you may trust to use some of the house controls. When you click on this option, you will be able to type the person's Login Name (Not a Display Name). Please ALWAYS have the person test the panel to be sure that you have identified him/her correctly. [NOTE: The ADD NAME option creates a list. To give people on the list permission to use your house controls, you must then use the USE LIST option.]

b. The REMOVE NAME option only appears if you have already created an access list. When you click on this option, you will be able to type the person's Login Name (Not a Display Name). Look in chat to see the names of people currently on the list.

c. The ANYONE option lets you make it possible for any person to operate the doors and windows in your home. Only you and people on your access list will be able to use the house control panel.

d. The USE LIST option only appears if you have already used the ADD NAME option to create a list. It lets you make it possible for people on your access list to operate the doors and windows and to use the house control panel.

e. The ONLY ME option lets you prevent everyone from operating doors and windows and to use the control panel.

f. The VIEW LIST option only appears if you have already used the ADD NAME option to create a list. It shows you the full list of people that you have added to the access list.

5. The DONE option, where it appears on any of the menus, closes the menu and saves your selection in remote storage. Please note that selections will be saved and any open dialog menus will be deactivated if they have not been touched for 20 seconds. Unless you choose the DONE option or the dialog box's "Ignore" button, however, the dialog box will stay open on your screen.

6. The BACK option appears on most menus to help you navigate to a previous menu.

OTOH, the Linden Home security system that comes in the content pack is really just a regular security orb, slightly customized to be compliant with the LH covenant. It controls access to the parcel, in case you need to boot people out to feel secure there.  I've never used it, but there is a pinned thread in this forum that discusses it and other security issues.

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 2

I had just the same issue the first times. I skipped the "Use list" button and could not figure out why it did not work.

It is not logical, I think. You add avatar names to a list on a purpose, they are meant to have access to the doors and the controller. I think that should be active without an extra step.

But the system is set up with that "Use list" is necessary to activate the list, and not likely to change.

• Like 4

• Moles
On 3/19/2021 at 2:18 AM, Marianne Little said:

It is not logical, I think. You add avatar names to a list on a purpose, they are meant to have access to the doors and the controller. I think that should be active without an extra step.

It actually does make sense, if you think about it for a bit, or at least it's just as logical as doing it your way.  We weren't really trying to mess with you.  The system is designed to let you create a list and decide when you want to use it. You can deactivate the list and have some ME time when absolutely nobody else can come in.  We asked ourselves whether to make the system default to "Use List" automatically -- which is what you and Sam1 expected --  but decided to make your privacy the default instead.  So when you start a list, you opt IN to using it instead of opting OUT of it.

And of course, as Mika pointed out, we provided an owner's manual in the form of a notecard in your mailbox (and in more detail in both the Knowledge Base and the SL wiki), and we have the Control Panel send you a reminder about "Use List" in chat every time you modify the access list. ;) 

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Dyna Mole said:

It actually does make sense, if you think about it for a bit, or at least it's just as logical as doing it your way.  We weren't really trying to mess with you.  The system is designed to let you create a list and decide when you want to use it. You can deactivate the list and have some ME time when absolutely nobody else can come in.  We asked ourselves whether to make the system default to "Use List" automatically -- which is what you and Sam1 expected --  but decided to make your privacy the default instead.  So when you start a list, you opt IN to using it instead of opting OUT of it.

And of course, as Mika pointed out, we provided an owner's manual in the form of a notecard in your mailbox (and in more detail in both the Knowledge Base and the SL wiki), and we have the Control Panel send you a reminder about "Use List" in chat every time you modify the access list. ;) 

I have noted that so many people ask for help about the houses, and many do not even know what the mailbox is for. Knowledge base and SL wiki is maybe what 1 or 1000 go looking for. :)But if we have used a security device of some kind, and think that we know that adding peoples name to the house control work the same way, why change how the house control works? And older avatars think we have learnt everything!

The argument for why there is a step for activating the list is a reasonable argument IF it really was keeping others out.

The "me" time when absolutely nobody else can come in is false security. If people really think that they are protected by locking the door, they are going to get a not so nice surprise when someone cam in and sit on a chair. It scares people first time it happens to them, when they have locked the doors and think nobody can come in.

Edited by Marianne Little
Change to clarify
  • Like 3

• Moles
8 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

The "me" time when absolutely nobody else can come in is false security. If people really think that they are protected by locking the door, they are going to get a not so nice surprise when someone cam in and sit on a chair.

I quite agree. Any experienced SL resident knows how to get past a locked door. Still, a locked door is a gentle deterrent, a signal to visitors that you really don't want anyone walking in unannounced.  In my mind, though, that's not the most important reason for having access controls on the Bellisserian homes. When you give access to people on your list, you are not just letting them open the doors and windows; you are also letting them use many of the functions of the Control Panel. They can do things that nobody can do by just sitting on a chair from a distance to enter the house.  For that reason, it makes great sense for the system to ask you to opt IN to using the access list rather than trusting that you will think to opt OUT of using it.

• Like 8

On 3/23/2021 at 10:26 AM, Dyna Mole said:

I quite agree. Any experienced SL resident knows how to get past a locked door. Still, a locked door is a gentle deterrent, a signal to visitors that you really don't want anyone walking in unannounced.  In my mind, though, that's not the most important reason for having access controls on the Bellisserian homes. When you give access to people on your list, you are not just letting them open the doors and windows; you are also letting them use many of the functions of the Control Panel. They can do things that nobody can do by just sitting on a chair from a distance to enter the house.  For that reason, it makes great sense for the system to ask you to opt IN to using the access list rather than trusting that you will think to opt OUT of using it.

This is where I think I got confused.  It isn't logical to me that giving only certain people access to opening doors and windows would also give them additional access to the control panel.  That's why I was looking at the door menu rather than the access menu. That's is also why I was looking in the security orb as well.  So to give access to just certain people to use the doors and windows you have to use both the access panel in the house AND the security orb.  Set the access in the house to anyone without adding them to the access list but put them in the white list in your security orb.  It makes sense...it's just not intuitive.  You'd expect the access to the doors and windows would be in the door menu. 

• Moles

The LH Security System is not designed to control access to your house.  It is a parcel control, activated when anyone crosses the parcel boundary.  Like any security orb you might buy from the Marketplace, it doesn't even know that your house exists, so it does not communicate with Control Panel functions.  (In fact, you might want to whitelist a completely different set of friends for access at the altitude of a skybox than you allow on the ground, so you could rez a separate Security System up there.)  You rez the LH Security System once and you never have to replace it as long as you own the parcel. It's available because we wanted to provide a security system that could be placed anywhere in the parcel, at any altitude, and would be fully compliant with the Linden Homes covenant.   That is, it can  be placed anywhere in the parcel, will allow at least a 10 second warning, will only eject unwelcome visitors (not send them home), will only detect people within the parcel boundaries and within the altitude range that you set, and will ignore people in the free airspace between 200 and 1000m.

By contrast, the Control Panel is specific to the house model that you choose to rez. Each house has its own characteristics and may have different options than other houses within the same theme, so each time you rez a new house, you get a new Control Panel that is built into it.  The access list that you create in the Control Panel deals with your house, not the parcel. It is saved remotely, so it persists if you rez a new house on the parcel, but its focus is entirely on house functions. Decor choices are also saved remotely, but are deleted if you rez a different style of house on the parcel.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

On 3/24/2021 at 12:12 PM, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

You'd expect the access to the doors and windows would be in the door menu. 

What is this "door menu" you are talking about? If you mean the Control Panel that is right next to the front door, that actually is where you set access to doors and windows. 

26 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

What is this "door menu" you are talking about? If you mean the Control Panel that is right next to the front door, that actually is where you set access to doors and windows. 

I realize that. There also the menu for the door which you can choose to have them automatically open or close. That is where I expected to see the access for the doors.

5 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

I realize that. There also the menu for the door which you can choose to have them automatically open or close. That is where I expected to see the access for the doors.

Rather than have the one Access button where you specify who can access the Control Panel, you expected each category (Door, Windows, Redecorate) to have its own separate access list? That would add a burden of additional scripts to each house, so I can see why that was not the way they went with the design. 

1 minute ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Rather than have the one Access button where you specify who can access the Control Panel, you expected each category (Door, Windows, Redecorate) to have its own separate access list? That would add a burden of additional scripts to each house, so I can see why that was not the way they went with the design. 

Sylvia, you make it sound like I'm some "Diva" LOL. No, I didn't expect there to be a separate access panel for each item. It just seemed logical to me. I really don't care where the access panel is. All I wanted to do was find it...which I did.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Sylvia, you make it sound like I'm some "Diva" LOL. No, I didn't expect there to be a separate access panel for each item. It just seemed logical to me. I really don't care where the access panel is. All I wanted to do was find it...which I did.

I honestly did not understand what the heck you were talking about. Apparently, I still do not. Sorry I don't "get" your logic. Have a good day.

1 hour ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

You're just stating, as a user of the LL software, where your intuition leads you to look for a given feature in the user interface.

She's just stating the technical feasibility of such a software design.

No need to fight.

Right? 😂

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1099 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.