My bad thoughts on the viewer

Ali Topaz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1101 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It turned so bad starting over a year ago.   I have not been able to login to secondlife in i don't know how long.  It's' been well over a year.  I just sit there looking at "requesting region capabilities".  It sucks bad.  Please fix it.

6 minutes ago, Ali Topaz said:

It turned so bad starting over a year ago.   I have not been able to login to secondlife in i don't know how long.  It's' been well over a year.  I just sit there looking at "requesting region capabilities".  It sucks bad.  Please fix it.

if you are on Windows 7

when I got that error I had to update my network card driver. Windows 7 Update borked my driver. The network card manufacturer came out with a fix. I updated and voila! SL went good after that

might be the same for you

11 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

if you are on Windows 7

when I got that error I had to update my network card driver. Windows 7 Update borked my driver. The network card manufacturer came out with a fix. I updated and voila! SL went good after that

might be the same for you

Thanks for the reply.  I am using Windows 10.

2 minutes ago, Ali Topaz said:

Thanks for the reply.  I am using Windows 10.

check if there is an update for your network card driver, just in case (assume you have a wired ethernet connection, I dunno about WIFI)

on Windows 10

Settings \ Network & Internet \ Change adapter options \ Ethernet \ Change settings of this connection \ Configure \ Driver

this shows the ethernet card name, driver provider, date and version number

google for the driver provider website and then check if there is a more recent version number

make sure that you download a copy of your existing driver version, as well as any updated. So that if you install the new version and it borks your whole internet then can uninstall it and re-install the old/current version

If the viewer progress bar sticks at "requesting region capabilities" it is already within the LL network and so you must contact SL support about this.  Have you tried creating an Alt account to see if you can log in with that?  Also it would help if you posted your system spec, from Help> "about Second Life" which you can access from the viewer start up screen without having to log in.

2 hours ago, Aishagain said:

If the viewer progress bar sticks at "requesting region capabilities" it is already within the LL network and so you must contact SL support about this.  Have you tried creating an Alt account to see if you can log in with that?  Also it would help if you posted your system spec, from Help> "about Second Life" which you can access from the viewer start up screen without having to log in.

It's their firewall settings,  they have some SL ports blocked,  I am going to edit this when I take a look at my old windows 7 setup and see what I had to fix,  I learned some lessons, dont use anything but windows firewall and dont tinker with it

On 3/18/2021 at 8:41 PM, Aishagain said:

@bigmoe Whitfield ahh right fair enough you know more than I obviously.  I assumed that if it got to region capabilities it must be at the LL end but your reference to port blocking by a Firewall makes sense.

When I am blocked at region capabilities and even "clear cache" doesn't work, and deleting the "setting.xml" file in the App Data/Roaming/Second Life/user settings file, to force it to generate a fresh one, and the ports and the AVGs etc are irrelevant -- then it usually means there is either a corrupt item in inventory or inventory is stalling me out. I even had to request that the Lindens fix  my inventory when this kept happening, and they sorted it into files with automatic scripts, for one. How do I know? Because the alt with little inventory can log on, and my main with 169,000 cannot. So you should file a ticket if this persists past all the regular fixes. 

Inventory is transferred in what I am going to call packages, because I need a name for them.  The service is coded to put the entire contents of a folder, sans the contents of subfolders, into a single package.  Each package is compressed and transmitted to the viewer.  The Resident's computer has to receive and buffer the fragments of this package, then assemble any out-of-order fragments into proper order after detecting completion of the package.  The Viewer then will decompress and parse the package of inventory items into records to be used by the Viewer's portion of the inventory representation.  Somewhere in the Viewer is a TIME LIMIT to how long this process is allowed to take before some failure is assumed.  Performance varies site to site and among Resident's computers.  Some combinations can handle huge packages, some cannot.  This MAY result in apparent random alternation between success and failure caused by changing network conditions.

If the failure you are experiencing is caused by the inventory conditions Prokofy Neva described, then the action Prokofy suggested will resolve it.  Linden Lab has studied this issue and has determined a safe quantity of inventory items per folder.

Resolution can also be achieved if you have an alternative and better performing login option.  This could be accomplished by changing rendering settings to reduce work load prior to logging in.  This could also be accomplished by using a higher bandwidth Internet access solution.  Unfortunately, knowing if these attempts will be successful involves some experimentation.  This experimentation may not be something you wish to undertake.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 9:02 AM, Ali Topaz said:

This can be caused by bad internet routing/handling and it could be a very simple thing.

Try and open command prompt in Windows 10, in the command windows type ipconfig /flushdns hit enter, now type the command ipconfig /renew hit enter.

If you like me use a laptop and connects from different locations and with different IPS, always good to use the commands above.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1101 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.