Viewer or Browser?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1126 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Sims, regions, browsers, viewers, planets, dwarf-planets. (Is Pluto a planet? Astrophysicist Mike Merrifield: "I really don't care.")

In an R&D environment, unambiguous language matters to avoid misunderstandings. On internet fora, on the other hand, it's quite the opposite: any attempt for disambiguation creates misunderstandings (to say the least).

That reminds me. There's a new version of the Second Life Threedeetoquaternionscalarmatrixifyerprojector available that I should download and install.

The viewer is a desktop app/application.. the only reason you would even need a web browser is to download the application..

If you were to go to say, The  MP and wanted to see an item in world and your viewer wasn't opened.. the link would take you to a browser version of the map, then a desktop window would pop up saying, Choose an application to open the second life link..

I don't even think we had the option to browse the web from the second life viewer until M's 2.0 viewer version came out..

6 hours ago, Sister Nova said:

Really? This was argued about in a locked thread?

Not really. I've no idea why the thread was locked. It was about the map being broken.

It went like this...
Someone used the word browser instead of viewer.
Someone else pointed out they should have said viewer.
A 3rd person chipped in to tell the 1st person not to be "railroaded into calling things by some special jargon as done in this world. It's a browser, which is what every other company calls it, not "viewer".
A 4th person (me) posted that it's 'viewer' because LL says so, and not 'browser'.
The 3rd person replied saying what the 4th person posted in the 1st post of this thread.
The 4th person (me) didn't get chance to reply before that thread was locked, so he started this thread.

So the thread of the 1st instance was locked before the thread of the 2nd instance was started, but the thread of the 1st instance didn't really contain much of an argument that the person of the 4th instance might have implied in the post of the 1st instance of the thread of the 2nd instance.

And that's the story from start to finish 😁

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:
19 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

If I run this as web on a prim in SL, will it become a Third Life viewer?

Uh oh. You know it can be only a matter of time before speedlight has an internal browser.

(I keep telling y'all to be nice to the bots, for we they shall rule the world.)

Edited by Qie Niangao
  • Haha 1

• Administrators
19 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

@Patch Linden   you once had a test a viewer that worked in a web browser, it would load into SL as a guest,  I used it a few times,  what ever happened to that project.

It was called SLGo (aka OnLive)

10 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

If I run this as web on a prim in SL, will it become a Third Life viewer?

Yep!

6 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Sims, regions, browsers, viewers, planets, dwarf-planets. (Is Pluto a planet? Astrophysicist Mike Merrifield: "I really don't care.")

In an R&D environment, unambiguous language matters to avoid misunderstandings. On internet fora, on the other hand, it's quite the opposite: any attempt for disambiguation creates misunderstandings (to say the least).

That reminds me. There's a new version of the Second Life Threedeetoquaternionscalarmatrixifyerprojector available that I should download and install.

Pluto is totally a planet!

3 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

Not really. I've no idea why the thread was locked. It was about the map being broken.

It went like this...
Someone used the word browser instead of viewer.
Someone else pointed out they should have said viewer.
A 3rd person chipped in to tell the 1st person not to be "railroaded into calling things by some special jargon as done in this world. It's a browser, which is what every other company calls it, not "viewer".
A 4th person (me) posted that it's 'viewer' because LL says so, and not 'browser'.
The 3rd person replied saying what the 4th person posted in the 1st post of this thread.
The 4th person (me) didn't get chance to reply before that thread was locked, so he started this thread.

So the thread of the 1st instance was locked before the thread of the 2nd instance was started, but the thread of the 1st instance didn't really contain much of an argument that the person of the 4th instance might have implied in the post of the 1st instance of the thread of the 2nd instance.

And that's the story from start to finish 😁

Something like that...  😁

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

One of Philip Rosedale's visions was a "3d" browser. The SL viewer is what we got instead because he noticed people were using the beta platform more for creativity than anything else he intended.

Philip wasn't the only one with the idea at the time. I just wish someone would have succeeded.

http://virtuallyblind.com/2008/07/02/3d-internet-exhibit-b-exitreality/

https://exitreality.com/

On 3/18/2021 at 5:51 AM, Ceka Cianci said:

don't even think we had the option to browse the web from the second life viewer until M's 2.0 viewer version came out..

Yes we did. I can't remember a time after 2005 that we couldn't. Things before 2005 are a bit fuzzy so we may have had it since 2003. I know it's been a feature for about 15 years.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

9 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Yes we did. I can't remember a time after 2005 that we couldn't. Things before 2005 are a bit fuzzy so we may have had it since 2003. I know it's been a feature for about 15 years.

Where was the internal browser at?

All I remember was from When Web profiles came around and media on a prim and web search.. I can't remember how to do it before that..

Just now, Ceka Cianci said:

All I remember was from When Web profiles came around and media on a prim and web search.. I can't remember how to do it before that..

It was in one of the original menu categories at the top. I do not remember if you could set how the Viewer handled Web Links in the older Viewers or not but I think you could tell it to open them either in the internal Browser or in an External Browser - same as you can today.

1 minute ago, Solar Legion said:

It was in one of the original menu categories at the top. I do not remember if you could set how the Viewer handled Web Links in the older Viewers or not but I think you could tell it to open them either in the internal Browser or in an External Browser - same as you can today.

I don't think I ever even knew about that.. hehehe

Learn something new every day I guess..

1 minute ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I don't think I ever even knew about that.. hehehe

Learn something new every day I guess..

Heh, there were a few other menu items that triggered it as well - simply because they were coded to open the internal Browser and go to a specific web page. Most of those were - and still are - account and support/help related.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Remember the Snowglobe based viewers? Like Emerald, Phoenix, Henri Beauchamp's. There was an option in preferences to open web search in the viewer or in an external viewer browser. I have always used the external, never internal and it's been that way since at least 2005 if not before.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
Now you've got me calling a browser a viewer! Stop that! lol

On 3/17/2021 at 8:38 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

The client that we use to access SL is a 'viewer', not a 'browser' --- though I'm not sure what the mobile clients call themselves if they aren't providing the graphics.  

I think it's pretty fair to call it a "mobile viewer," even if it doesn't show graphics. It's just a consistent, well-understood term to the users of Second Life. Though, you might as well just call it the "mobile client" as you did, and you'd be totally correct.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

On 3/17/2021 at 5:17 PM, Mollymews said:

it only says viewer 13 times. Might want to say it more times I think just to be more clear. Can get in at least another 20 viewer mentions. For at least 33 times

Molly wins the Spewer of Viewers Award. All other brewers spewed fewer viewers.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 1

After careful consideration, I have changed my mind.

A viewer views content, a browser browses content as well as views it, hence the differentiation.  However the SL viewer doesn't merely view or browse content, it allows us to change content and interact with the world, editing it and shaping it creatively.  So neither of those is sufficient to describe what it is.  A client is technically correct though carries no inherent description of what capabilities it has as a client nor is it helpful to non-technical people.

Perhaps we need a new term to encompass this majorly overlooked aspect of its functions as well.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you, the ViBrEditor

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

After careful consideration, I have changed my mind.

A viewer views content, a browser browses content as well as views it, hence the differentiation.  However the SL viewer doesn't merely view or browse content, it allows us to change content and interact with the world, editing it and shaping it creatively.  So neither of those is sufficient to describe what it is.  A client is technically correct though carries no inherent description of what capabilities it has as a client nor is it helpful to non-technical people.

Perhaps we need a new term to encompass this majorly overlooked aspect of its functions as well.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you, the ViBrEditor

Good call.

The browsers, with all their faults, did give us the ability to start blogs or maintain photo sites and upload and edit our content, so we did have that already. Yes, SL has more 3D-ish things but that's a quibble.

Viewers traditionally have been only about, well, viewing, a game developer's world in which you are repeatedly killed and teleported back home, looking at very uniform scenery you can't change along the way.

That Sacral Communicant Device that we have in SL is of course, oh-so-special.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1126 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.