How Old Is The Oldest Club In Secondlife?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1130 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

No need to specifically name places - although I'd be curious to visit them - but I realise there may be concerns about advertising within the Forum, that may go against the Rules... but I was just wondering if there was any way, to find out how old the oldest Club - or indeed place - that is still running successfully - is, within SL.  :)

13 hours ago, Jinnywitha Cleanslate said:

running successfully

Define "running successfully".

Continues to operate thanks to enough revenue to pay for land costs & staff or thanks to community interest solely?

The latter suggests the land owner(s) footing some/all expenses. No profits made.

13 hours ago, Jinnywitha Cleanslate said:

No need to specifically name places - although I'd be curious to visit them - but I realise there may be concerns about advertising within the Forum, that may go against the Rules... but I was just wondering if there was any way, to find out how old the oldest Club - or indeed place - that is still running successfully - is, within SL.  :)

I don't believe any of the oldest survived.  Some like Frank's have changed hands. The Sutherland Dam Club which I have maintained since 2005 still exists and has freebies but hasn't had meetings in years. Perhaps I'll start them again! The club in the sky lagging the sim on one of my rentals which has been there a few months may be the oldest club in SL because they constantly start, fail, and appear elsewhere.

1 minute ago, Prokofy Neva said:

The club in the sky lagging the sim on one of my rentals which has been there a few months may be the oldest club in SL because they constantly start, fail, and appear elsewhere.

Even my club is older than that. 😁 Eight years and one month in the same place with no break and no change of ownership.  Then again if "making a profit" is the only measure of "success", it doesn't qualify.  The expense to me personally is very small however, and is outweighed by the enjoyment I get out of it, which is why it's still running. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would measure success by if a club has regular events (extra points for displaying event times for those that don't know when they are) and has real people actually show up.  People arriving and leaving at random times around/during the event is a good sign as is some chatter.  That gives me more confidence that this is real and not just alts of the owner and friends.  An example of a not successful club, in my opinion, is finding camping chairs, afk people and a camp for L$ sign and/or lots of bots stuffed in a box some place high in the sky.

The Blue Note is still running after taking a couple of long breaks.  There are events most weeks as far as I can tell.  The Blue Note has been running for at least 14 years overall, not the oldest obviously but definitely worthy of a mention.

Edited by Gabriele Graves

We haven't had events there in a while but my Second Home Club is still on my New Orleans City region.  It was started in February 2007 so just over 14 years ago.   it's been located in 3 different places but in the current spot for about 12 years.  It was fairly popular for a small club in the old days but we hold most events in the city park or Bourbon Street now. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1130 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.