Update Product then delete old Version

2toe Bigboots

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4707 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Okay so im trying to find away to have a item delet the older version after you recieve it or wear it...I sell huds and i use a auto update or as close to as i can figure out. When you wear my older version it sends bla bla bla to server and request update if needed. So when you ge the new version is there a way to make it delet the older on then you wear it or recieve it ??? I cant find any info on this at all.

Thank you if you can help.

You can't delete stuff from people's inventories by script, and nor can you call llDie() successfully in something you're wearing.   In theory you could tell the scripts in the old item to remove themselves after you've sent out a new one, but that would be a spectacularly bad idea, to my mind, for all sorts of reasons, and I mention it only to dismiss it.

Why not send out an updater, rather than an updated item?  That's what a lot of people do, and I find it, as a customer, a lot easier in practice to rez my hud on the ground next to the updater, and then continue to use the original hud, than I do to remember to  delete the old one and replace it with the new one, particularly if I've moved the original from its default location.

Well I wouldnt have a clue were to start scripting a item that could update a product, i have a update server that sends new product, can i some how make a diff server that sends a script update to kill the scriptsw in the old version so its not of any use ? I affraid of ppl duping the item to recieve more new items im sure its possible.

You'd have to rescript the object anyway in order to remove the scripts from an old version after a new one had been sent out and I honestly really, really don't think it's a good idea.   For one thing, lots of people (me included) wouldn't buy a scripted object knowing the creator could disable it remotely.  

It would also be considerably more complicated than doing a simple product updater (which will involve some rescripting, but nothing nearly so complicated as trying to remove the scripts from outdated objects, and which is a far safer method).

Take a look at this thread http://community.secondlife.com/t5/LSL-Scripting/Updating-a-script-in-an-object-how-note-OpenCollar-does-it/m-p/851647#M1787 and also at Dari Caldwell's complete example of how to do a script updater at http://forums-archive.secondlife.com/15/8e/172797/1.html

Using Dari's method, you would just need to send out one more version of your hud (which I assume must be transfer, no copy, from your stated concerns), updated so it can accept running scripts from subsequent updater prims you send out, and then you don't need to worry any more.   Owners will then be able simply to rez the hud next to any updaters you subsequently send out, which will insert the new scripts and delete the old ones.

It really is the better way to do it, for all sorts of reasons.

alternatively you could do what many creators already do, and wait for a response, if the response says there's a new version, the item disables everything but the check for a newer version, and the back end sends a newer version to the av automatically.....

this way, if something goes wrong with their newer version they can always pull out the old version to get a new copy... of course this only works well for copiable items.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4707 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.