We are seeing completely different poses on the same furniture

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1135 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My partner and I recently got a new 1/4 sim homestead rental. After setting up a bunch of stuff, we started using some of the same furniture that we have used in another sim. But we have run into a strange problem. I am seeing both of our avatars in the poses I know from using the furniture in another sim. But partner is seeing something completely different at the same time. We are having two completely different experiences of the same thing. I tend to think that my experience is more "correct" in that what I am seeing corresponds to what we had seen happen in the earlier rental. She's tried turning off her AO, but that didn't help. Any suggestions at to what might be going wrong?

Never seen this happen so I'm not confident this is the problem, but it seems to me that her viewer must be giving her the wrong animations from cache. At least that's the first thing I'd try: ask her to try a different viewer and see if it's back to normal, and if so, completely delete the cache directory of the previous viewer.

• Like 1

That thread reminded me of problems I've seen over the years, not seeing animations for some avatars across multiple alt windows, which I always kinda assumed was something like "it recognizes the same IP calling for the same animation asset and ignoring it because it just sent that same asset" as suggested. But I understand the problem here to be happening at different locations, yours and a partner's, not sharing the same IP address.

The thread also reminds us that the problem may never happen again anyway, and we'll never know for sure why it ever did. If it does happen again, maybe first check what the partner sees after teleporting away to a distant region, you standing from the furniture, the partner coming back, and you sitting again making sure she has you in view when you restart the pose. (But I understand switching among poses has already been tried, presumably in view, so this seems pretty unlikely. It's just slightly quicker than installing a different viewer if one isn't already installed.)

I see something much the same, although I relate it more to the other other thread, and it's quite common for me.

Example: Much of the time, I have 2 avatars logged in with viewers (both Alchemy atm), and a 3rd avatar in a thin client. With me and the 3rd avatar logged in, and the 3rd avatar laying back on a lounger, I see that avatar laying back. That avatar can't see anything so that's irrelevant. When I bring the 2nd avatar in using the viewer, it sees the 3rd avatar sitting on the lounger - actually, it's sitting through the lounger rather than on it. So I have 2 avatars in identical viewers seeing a 3rd avatar in different poses.

The reason for it is because the last avatar to log in hasn't received the actual animation. It correctly receives data that the avatar is sitting, but not the sitting animation provided by the furniture - laying back.

So my question to the OP is, what poses do the 2 avatars show? Could it be that one is a normal sit pose? and the other is the correct pose as provided by the furniture?

Incidentally, seeing oneself posed correctly, while multiple others see you sitting, goes back a very long way. I found it happening around 2007.

Edited by Phil Deakins

We'll be experimenting more today, but a couple of things: The problem happens only in the new homestead rental. What she sees is quite different from what I see on my end, but not sitting poses. She sees both of us as being in different positions. 

One thing I'll try is rezzing the same furniture in the new rental and in the old one (which I still have access to). I'll try the other suggestions too, one by one. 

23 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

That thread reminded me of problems I've seen over the years, not seeing animations for some avatars across multiple alt windows, which I always kinda assumed was something like "it recognizes the same IP calling for the same animation asset and ignoring it because it just sent that same asset" as suggested. But I understand the problem here to be happening at different locations, yours and a partner's, not sharing the same IP address.

The thread also reminds us that the problem may never happen again anyway, and we'll never know for sure why it ever did. If it does happen again, maybe first check what the partner sees after teleporting away to a distant region, you standing from the furniture, the partner coming back, and you sitting again making sure she has you in view when you restart the pose. (But I understand switching among poses has already been tried, presumably in view, so this seems pretty unlikely. It's just slightly quicker than installing a different viewer if one isn't already installed.)

Thank you so much for the suggestion! The problem was with viewer cache. Logging in with another viewer fixed the problem. So now we just need to clear the cache, and we should be good to go. Thanks again!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1135 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.