How does family RP work? How to find a good family?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 87 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm a complete newb to RPing on SL but I'd like to get into it.ย  I've gotten really into the Beyou system (when you are basically playing a sim and have to eat, keep yourself clean,etc)ย 

When I first got into SL, I joined a family and I thought it was just some cool people to hang out with.ย  But it was more of a recruitment funnel for a vampire game and weird and sex thing. I also had to wear a collar that took away a lot of SL freedoms. Of course I was out of there when I found out that's what was going on. I'm OK with adult stuff, but I don't really care for how collars work.

So, anyway. How does family RP work? What do you guys expect from a family member? Any thing else you'd like to comment or suggest?

Thanks!

ย  ย It varies widely, depending on the family. Everything from what you mentioned with the collars and adult stuff, to entirely IC relations that function much like you would expect regular family relations to work, with different roles and dynamics, to people who just decide to stick together because they enjoy each other with little if any RP involved at all.

ย  ย It's all about finding the people that are right for you. My SL sisters, daughters, mother and aunts has been there for years - so far none of those bonds has been broken, even when there's been disagreements and bickering. Some have left SL, but should they return they know where they've got the rest of us.

Sounds like you were recruited into a bloodlines clan type family. Honestly some families are like that in Bloodlines or any other family with collars and with rules. For me with my family as long as we all get along and if someone has an issue with someone we talk it out together. I'm there for my family regardless what happens but we all get along really well. Bloodlines is a big recruitment thing and can get dramatic at times depending on the right family or clan you want.ย 

On 3/14/2021 at 10:32 PM, Monique Bellambi said:

I'm a complete newb to RPing on SL but I'd like to get into it.ย  I've gotten really into the Beyou system (when you are basically playing a sim and have to eat, keep yourself clean,etc)ย 

When I first got into SL, I joined a family and I thought it was just some cool people to hang out with.ย  But it was more of a recruitment funnel for a vampire game and weird and sex thing. I also had to wear a collar that took away a lot of SL freedoms. Of course I was out of there when I found out that's what was going on. I'm OK with adult stuff, but I don't really care for how collars work.

So, anyway. How does family RP work? What do you guys expect from a family member? Any thing else you'd like to comment or suggest?

Thanks!

The best way to experience this is to look for family communities. I know that some cater for the system you mentioned (and others) by having stores and cafes selling items. I first moved into one back in 2012 and was amazed at the experience. My next door neighbour was a delight and we struck up quite a friendship that after a few months grew into a wonderful RP relationship, with children running around the house and garden. (Weโ€™re still in touch after all these years!)

Do take your time though, you donโ€™t have to be married by the weekend having met on a Monday. Let it all grow gradually rather than trying to have a house full of kids youโ€™ve only been interacting with for 5 minutes.

• Like 1

Speaking as a kid avatar, you really have to do thingsย as a family. I've found that you don't want to treat it as some friends you hang out with, as that won't feel the same. You really want to do things like family dinners, holiday photos, vacations/day trips, and that sort of thing.

Now, you don't need kids to do this, but I think it helps drive home the idea that it's a family. I'd love to do stuff like cooking together, making presents for mothers and fathers day, having birthday parties, family movie nights, and that sort of thing. My character is too old for it, but tuck ins seem to be big, and that can be a great way to spend time together as a family.

Without kids (ie young), what the roleplay looks like will depend a lot on the ages of everyone. Maybe a university aged child comes home on the weekends for dinner and family time. Maybe the family is traveling to look after a grandparent. Maybe you're all meeting a sibling's new wife or husband. These are ideas you can use to frame thatย family time.

Hopeย that helps.

Family RP is something I have often wondered about as well. Reading this thread has been interesting.ย 

ย 

I had some friends who had a SL daughter together and I had fun buying presents for her. She was a little toddler.ย 

ย 

There are even centers in SL that specialize in pregnancy and childbirth. Another lady I knew had about seven kids.ย 

ย 

I have always had a fascination with huge families. It would be fun to see families with 12, 15, 18 kids.ย 

ย 

Hope you find what you're looking for!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 87 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.