Pi Day tomorrow!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1110 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3/14 or March 14 is Pi Day! (In Europe, 22 July, or 22/7, is Pi Approximation Day.)

How many digits of Pi have you memorized?

I have memorized 11 digits of pi in Base-Ten: 3.1415926535. I believe that's enough precision to estimate the circumference of a sphere the size of Earth (give or take a few molecules).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

3/14 or March 14 is Pi Day! (In Europe, 22 July, or 22/7, is Pi Approximation Day.)

I have memorized 11 digits of pi in Base-Ten: 3.1415926535. I believe that's enough precision to estimate the circumference of a sphere the size of Earth (give or take a few molecules).

Mmmm pi.

full_052_1318030945.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

Noooooo!!!

Earth is about 40e3 KM around. That's 40e6 m and 40e9mm, or 4e10mm. You've memorized pi to eleven places, so you can estimate the circumference of a sphere the size of Earth to give or take a few tenths of a mm. Water molecules are about 275 picometers (275e-12 or 2.75e-10 meters) in diameter, so you'd need to memorize Pi to around 20 digits to get within a few molecules.

I've memorized Pi to 10 digits as well, but differ from you in the last digit.

Pi to eleven digits is 3.14159265358, so I round to 3.1415926536.

Happy Pi day, Gopi!

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Noooooo!!!

Earth is about 40e3 KM around. That's 40e6 m and 40e9mm, or 4e10mm. You've memorized pi to eleven places, so you can estimate the circumference of a sphere the size of Earth to give or take a few tenths of a mm. Water molecules are about 275 picometers (275e-12 or 2.75e-10 meters) in diameter, so you'd need to memorize Pi to around 20 digits to get within a few molecules.

I've memorized Pi to 10 digits as well, but differ from you in the last digit.

Pi to eleven digits is 3.14159265358, so I use use 3.1415926536.

Happy Pi day, Gopi!

Ah, I see. Thanks for the info and Happy Pi Day to you, too!

7 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Grrr, I was doing so well editing posts.

If you want to see what I changed, compare Gopi's quote to my now edited post.

;-).

As if I'd know if anything were incorrect?

Edited by Rowan Amore

22 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Before: Pi to eleven digits is 3.14159265358, so I use use 3.1415926536.

After:    Pi to eleven digits is 3.14159265358, so I round to 3.1415926536.

You could tell what was incorrect. You were either too lazy, too intimidated, or too disinterested  to check, Rowan!

Plplplplplplpl!!!

All of the above.  😁My eyes tend to glaze over as soon as numbers are involved.

Edited by Rowan Amore

1 hour ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

I don't need to memorize digits, I just count letters per word:

"How I wish I could recollect PI easily today, and quite properly."

3   1    4    1     5           9        2     6          5       3      5           8

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looking it up now... Oh, darn forgot the 9.

In the original novel Contact, by Carl Sagan, Dr. Ellie Arroway is told by the alien, who is dressed up as her father, in order to not freak her out, *spoiler alert* that the universe was made by an even more advanced civilization than theirs, that snuck its signature in the base two version of pi. Deep inside, trillions of trillions of digits down, a little image frame was encoded, of a field of zeros with ones inside, that makes a perfect pixel art circle.

Well, here's ten million digits of pi in base ten:

https://introcs.cs.princeton.edu/java/data/pi-10million.txt

There's one instance in that segment of digits that's seven zeroes in sequence. It's somewhere near the 4.5 millionth digit:

4c2cd42ab4d4d7598bd2b894ed4466e2.png

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

In the original novel Contact, by Carl Sagan, Dr. Ellie Arroway is told by the alien, who is dressed up as her father, in order to not freak her out, *spoiler alert* that the universe was made by an even more advanced civilization than theirs, that snuck its signature in the base two version of pi. Deep inside, trillions of trillions of digits down, a little image frame was encoded, of a field of zeros with ones inside, that makes a perfect pixel art circle.

Well, here's ten million digits of pi in base ten:

https://introcs.cs.princeton.edu/java/data/pi-10million.txt

There's one instance in that segment of digits that's seven zeroes in sequence. It's somewhere near the 4.5 millionth digit:

4c2cd42ab4d4d7598bd2b894ed4466e2.png

We're living on a flat Earth.  I knew it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1110 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.