Jump to content

Recommended Posts

3/14 or March 14 is Pi Day! (In Europe, 22 July, or 22/7, is Pi Approximation Day.)

How many digits of Pi have you memorized?

I have memorized 11 digits of pi in Base-Ten: 3.1415926535. I believe that's enough precision to estimate the circumference of a sphere the size of Earth (give or take a few molecules).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

How many digits of Pi have you memorized?

None. I have a Pi do that for me. :)

Edited by TDD123
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

3/14 or March 14 is Pi Day! (In Europe, 22 July, or 22/7, is Pi Approximation Day.)

How many digits of Pi have you memorized?

I have memorized 11 digits of pi in Base-Ten: 3.1415926535. I believe that's enough precision to estimate the circumference of a sphere the size of Earth (give or take a few molecules).

Mmmm pi.

full_052_1318030945.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

3/14 or March 14 is Pi Day! (In Europe, 22 July, or 22/7, is Pi Approximation Day.)

How many digits of Pi have you memorized?

I have memorized 11 digits of pi in Base-Ten: 3.1415926535. I believe that's enough precision to estimate the circumference of a sphere the size of Earth (give or take a few molecules).

Noooooo!!!

Earth is about 40e3 KM around. That's 40e6 m and 40e9mm, or 4e10mm. You've memorized pi to eleven places, so you can estimate the circumference of a sphere the size of Earth to give or take a few tenths of a mm. Water molecules are about 275 picometers (275e-12 or 2.75e-10 meters) in diameter, so you'd need to memorize Pi to around 20 digits to get within a few molecules.

I've memorized Pi to 10 digits as well, but differ from you in the last digit.

Pi to eleven digits is 3.14159265358, so I round to 3.1415926536.

Happy Pi day, Gopi!

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Noooooo!!!

Earth is about 40e3 KM around. That's 40e6 m and 40e9mm, or 4e10mm. You've memorized pi to eleven places, so you can estimate the circumference of a sphere the size of Earth to give or take a few tenths of a mm. Water molecules are about 275 picometers (275e-12 or 2.75e-10 meters) in diameter, so you'd need to memorize Pi to around 20 digits to get within a few molecules.

I've memorized Pi to 10 digits as well, but differ from you in the last digit.

Pi to eleven digits is 3.14159265358, so I use use 3.1415926536.

Happy Pi day, Gopi!

Ah, I see. Thanks for the info and Happy Pi Day to you, too!

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Grrr, I was doing so well editing posts.

If you want to see what I changed, compare Gopi's quote to my now edited post.

;-).

As if I'd know if anything were incorrect?

Edited by Rowan Amore
Link to post
Share on other sites

Before: Pi to eleven digits is 3.14159265358, so I use use 3.1415926536.

After:    Pi to eleven digits is 3.14159265358, so I round to 3.1415926536.

You could tell what was incorrect. You were either too lazy, too intimidated, or too disinterested  to check, Rowan!

Plplplplplplpl!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Before: Pi to eleven digits is 3.14159265358, so I use use 3.1415926536.

After:    Pi to eleven digits is 3.14159265358, so I round to 3.1415926536.

You could tell what was incorrect. You were either too lazy, too intimidated, or too disinterested  to check, Rowan!

Plplplplplplpl!!!

All of the above.  😁My eyes tend to glaze over as soon as numbers are involved.

Edited by Rowan Amore
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

How many digits of Pi have you memorized?

I don't need to memorize digits, I just count letters per word:

"How I wish I could recollect PI easily today, and quite properly."

     3   1    4    1     5           9        2     6          5       3      5           8

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

And for another odd PI factoid .... The number of seconds in a year is 60x 60 x 24 x 365 = 31,536,000  which is within less than 0.2%  of PI x 10^7.  Not a bad first approximation.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

3.1415265

Looking it up now... Oh, darn forgot the 9.

3.14159265

In the original novel Contact, by Carl Sagan, Dr. Ellie Arroway is told by the alien, who is dressed up as her father, in order to not freak her out, *spoiler alert* that the universe was made by an even more advanced civilization than theirs, that snuck its signature in the base two version of pi. Deep inside, trillions of trillions of digits down, a little image frame was encoded, of a field of zeros with ones inside, that makes a perfect pixel art circle.

Well, here's ten million digits of pi in base ten:

https://introcs.cs.princeton.edu/java/data/pi-10million.txt

There's one instance in that segment of digits that's seven zeroes in sequence. It's somewhere near the 4.5 millionth digit:

 

4c2cd42ab4d4d7598bd2b894ed4466e2.png

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

In the original novel Contact, by Carl Sagan, Dr. Ellie Arroway is told by the alien, who is dressed up as her father, in order to not freak her out, *spoiler alert* that the universe was made by an even more advanced civilization than theirs, that snuck its signature in the base two version of pi. Deep inside, trillions of trillions of digits down, a little image frame was encoded, of a field of zeros with ones inside, that makes a perfect pixel art circle.

Well, here's ten million digits of pi in base ten:

https://introcs.cs.princeton.edu/java/data/pi-10million.txt

There's one instance in that segment of digits that's seven zeroes in sequence. It's somewhere near the 4.5 millionth digit:

 

4c2cd42ab4d4d7598bd2b894ed4466e2.png

We're living on a flat Earth.  I knew it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a mathematician in the room? Are there number sequences that can not appear in pi? If all number sequences can occur in there, than it's a 100% certain that pi contains the Unicode-version of the complete works of Shakespeare. (An infinite amount of them.)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

There's one instance in that segment of digits that's seven zeroes in sequence. It's somewhere near the 4.5 millionth digit:

 

 

So, is that your..slice of pie?

 

6CCE72B5-C397-455A-BF99-9E736E4FA6DF.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...