For all who want to know the Truth behind the Scenes of Flickr!!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1124 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

13 minutes ago, JanuarySwan said:

Likes on FLICKR can be worth something to bloggers.  For certain bloggers there may be requirements to have a certain number of LIKES before one is accepted.   I don't blog so bloggers would have to clarify how that works.  

Yes, many applications include "1000 likes on most pictures" and the like. The issue is that most of those "likes" are ridiculous and on some photos that are HORRIBLE.  You can actually BUY likes and views for Flickr - or you used to be able to, not sure now.  Maybe this is about that but honestly anyone that "liked" my picture had to be a real person. I just don't get that many likes. Lots of views sometimes but not that many likes since I really don't play the games. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

I stand by my comment about it being their platform and we are not paying for it --- BUT I can confirm that "likes" are being removed. Last night I had 40 on this photo and today I have 31.    So the OP seems to have the story correctly.

Something is up, but I think its some kind of glitch. I've faved pics, pics I know I faved because I genuinely liked it. Pressed the star and it was solid, I see the same pic a day later and it was unfaved. I don't think its something malicious, I think there's some kind of software issue where your fave isn't really registered. Tbh, the site is kind of glitchy all around. Also, there are people that play the like game, they'll like your stuff and if you don't reciprocate, they will come back and unlike them. Yes, people can be that petty.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

I just mark all my photos on Flickr as "Restricted" and don't worry.

Everyone whom I want to see them will see them.

But for official contests, they have to be safe. It was me that @Chic Aeonmentioned before. I took a style picture in a bikini with beads and body strings and it was no nudity. Something in that auto scan must have flagged it, because it was set to Restricted, as for full frontal nudity. Partial nudity would be in Moderate, but here it is a bikini, and maybe you can tell me what's been auto read as full frontal?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/27764102@N02/51032974707/in/dateposted-public/

and I can't embed it in the forum because it only accept safe tagged content, and I can't post it in Flickr groups that only accept safe content.

Edit: I set it to Safe manually just now. I was afraid to do it in case Flickr banned me. But it can pass as safe? I see as daring pictures as this in Show Your Style - the tread.

Edited by Marianne Little

On 3/14/2021 at 9:23 AM, Zzevir said:

If you see the shape of your cleavage and that some of the (heart shaped ?) nipple is hanging out. 

So I think the bot just see it and " look a %//!%+++!%/ "(very dirty minded bot). And flagged your pic. 

Heart shaped nipple?  I don't think I've ever seen those before.. That would look a bit strange..hehehe

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Heart shaped nipple?  I don't think I've ever seen those before.. That would look a bit strange..hehehe

They do look strange . . . There were some on the MP front page from what people were just buying a while back. I giggled. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Something in that auto scan must have flagged it, because it was set to Restricted, as for full frontal nudity. Partial nudity would be in Moderate, but here it is a bikini, and maybe you can tell me what's been auto read as full frontal?

Not who you quoted but maybe I can shed some light on the mystery. While I am obviously not privy to how Flickr runs their detection, I've bashed my head against this issue on other sites/apps before. Did some experiments using several of the AI datasets with a python script I had made for myself. When I look at your picture, which I would also absolutely qualify as safe, here are the key things I can see that could trip one or the other detection method:

- Low amount of contrast between clothes and skin. Aye, tis proper silly - but I've had detection tripped on a rose coloured gown. In general, the closer to the surrounding skin tone something is, the more likely it will trip detection.

- Sideboob and underboob. Especially the latter has several detection methods often nudge it further towards NSFW. Detection often looks at isolated instances and does not also check context. It just sees certain shapes and assigns a score based on them.

- At a glance on the left picture, the lower waist area - which is partially covered by shadows - could appear to be red pubic hair. It's not. Obvious to the human eye. Not so obvious to an algothithm.

- Low Res version looks NSFW (such as when loading). It's not unusual to simplify an image before passing it on to detection or as part of detection. If done to your image, even just a few steps of it, quickly lead to the impression of nudity. You can try this yourself by intentionally pixelating it.

That with a general higher amount of skin shown, could have led to your image going past a nudity threshold and getting flagged as restricted. It's annoying for sure because it leads to uncertainty and self restriction on the artist's side. It also leads to forcing changes. I've had to manually recolour clothes to finally get a 100% modest image accepted on another platform.

19 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I don't use either one so I don't know what the differences are but I can't help wondering why people use Flickr when they could use Snapzilla? Snapzilla - Postcards From Life #2

In short: Established community. When I ventured here, I had a look around at what platforms people were using and the most frequent results I had found were instagram and flickr. Contests often ask you to upload to their flickr group too. So while another solution might be technically better, it would need to outweigh established communities. That tends to happen very rarely (Digg being an example or Tumblr shedding their users when they banned NSFW).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The answer is even simpler: Flickr was directly integrated into the snapshot window as a Save option (among others). This was done during the time when there was a push for broader Social network integration (excuse me while I void the contents of my stomach).

That's it. That's all.

3 minutes ago, ValKalAstra said:

In short: Established community. When I ventured here, I had a look around at what platforms people were using and the most frequent results I had found were instagram and flickr. Contests often ask you to upload to their flickr group too. So while another solution might be technically better, it would need to outweigh established communities. That tends to happen very rarely (Digg being an example or Tumblr shedding their users when they banned NSFW).

Snapzilla has been in existence for 16 years. Ask Cristiano Midnight, who created Snapzilla.

https://danielvoyager.wordpress.com/2008/03/01/snapzilla-tutorial/

2 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

The answer is even simpler: Flickr was directly integrated into the snapshot window as a Save option (among others). This was done during the time when there was a push for broader Social network integration (excuse me while I void the contents of my stomach).

That's it. That's all.

You can do the same with Snapzilla. Upload directly from SL via the save snapshot option.

2 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

You can do the same with Snapzilla. Upload directly from SL via the save snapshot option.

Yes and no.

Flickr was marked by name. Snapzilla requires you use Send to E-mail. Therein lies the difference for easily led around users.

Which was - I thought - quite obvious given the way I'd phrased my post.

Edited by Solar Legion

56 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Yes and no.

Flickr was marked by name. Snapzilla requires you use Send to E-mail. Therein lies the difference for easily led around users.

Which was - I thought - quite obvious given the way I'd phrased my post.

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I don't use either one so

Nope. Sorry. Wasn't obvious to me. So with Snapzilla there's one more step in the process that takes maybe 30 seconds more? That's the only difference? I think I'd take the extra time and use Snapzilla rather than have to deal with the stress inducing uncertainty of rating on Flickr, but that's just me. I gave up storing images online when Photobucket started making everyone pay and priced it far out of my reach.

But then again I read Daniel's article again and it says:

clicking Snapshot and then using the Email Postcard option directly from SL. No need to save to disk and then upload to the site which is FREE. 

So there isn't an extra step. You are simply using a different option in the menu. Not send to email.

Or did Cris have to change that? I seem to recall something happened in the last 3 years (I think) where there was a problem with the email postcard but I don't recall any details. I think there is a thread about it on VVO.

Ok. It's not quite what I was thinking or what I read was in another thread but this one does explain how Snapzilla works and all.

Sending to Snapzilla | VirtualVerse One Forums

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

But for official contests, they have to be safe. It was me that @Chic Aeonmentioned before. I took a style picture in a bikini with beads and body strings and it was no nudity. Something in that auto scan must have flagged it, because it was set to Restricted, as for full frontal nudity. Partial nudity would be in Moderate, but here it is a bikini, and maybe you can tell me what's been auto read as full frontal?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/27764102@N02/51032974707/in/dateposted-public/

and I can't embed it in the forum because it only accept safe tagged content, and I can't post it in Flickr groups that only accept safe content.

Edit: I set it to Safe manually just now. I was afraid to do it in case Flickr banned me. But it can pass as safe? I see as daring pictures as this in Show Your Style - the tread.

I can't say what the NEW (SmugMug )  owners are judging things on, but I CAN say that a few years ago I had a photo with "hip" on it like yours and The Powers That Be THEN would not accept it as safe or moderate.  I had to delete it or mark it restricted in order to get my  account released from "non-public" status.  I think that picture is fine and certainly not adult but everyone has their own ideas of what is "general" and what is not. So it will be interesting to see what happens. I don't think they would o anything without a warning though. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling

Oh for .... Read. What. Was. Said.

Flickr was there by name.

That is the difference. It has nothing whatsoever to do with extra steps.

As for the incorrect information regarding how to send it to Snapzilla ... To Send a Postcard you have to ..... Send it Via an E-mail. The option is labeled differently depending on the Viewer used.

Seen below - to further drive home the primary point (which you either did not get or simply ignored) and further negate that rather incorrect information (while showcasing the difference in naming conventions between Viewers) is how the Snapshot Window appears on Firestorm when you are chosing how to save the Snapshot, followed by the Send to E-mail section.

SnapshotFloaterFSCropped.png.2bc7c4ed2cf76e7c5c70938ac06ba337.png

SnapshotFloaterFS2Cropped.png.d0802153418eee26d685006599b5f959.png

Out of curiosity I looked at the Share to Flickr dialog option and found it had several text entry boxes as well. So once again, it has nothing whatsoever to do with saving any time and everything to do with one option being named directly in the floater and one using a generic function.

20 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Nope. Sorry. Wasn't obvious to me. So with Snapzilla there's one more step in the process that takes maybe 30 seconds more? That's the only difference? I think I'd take the extra time and use Snapzilla rather than have to deal with the stress inducing uncertainty of rating on Flickr, but that's just me. I gave up storing images online when Photobucket started making everyone pay and priced it far out of my reach.

But then again I read Daniel's article again and it says:

So there isn't an extra step. You are simply using a different option in the menu. Not send to email.

Or did Cris have to change that? I seem to recall something happened in the last 3 years (I think) where there was a problem with the email postcard but I don't recall any details. I think there is a thread about it on VVO.

Ok. It's not quite what I was thinking or what I read was in another thread but this one does explain how Snapzilla works and all.

Sending to Snapzilla | VirtualVerse One Forums

I had no clue that the email option had anything to do with Snapzilla until I read it somewhere just recently.  I don't think the average SL user would know that either.  

7 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Flickr was there by name.

I'm sorry Solar. Brain isn't braining well today. Are you saying the difference is the brand name of Flickr is/was more well/widely known?  I'm really not getting what you mean by "was there by name" unless that is what you mean. 

4 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I'm sorry Solar. Brain isn't braining well today. Are you saying the difference is the brand name of Flickr is/was more well/widely known?  I'm really not getting what you mean by "was there by name" unless that is what you mean. 

Yes, that is part of what I mean and the expanded version of what I said. Brand recognition and the fact that the option to send to it is right there, showing that brand name.

Heh, you're having a brain fog day and I've got a case of weather based irritation. Apologies on my tone.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Thanks 1

tbf, a lot of people just straight up post to flickr from SL. It is super easy to do, just by clicking the flickr button. Lately people have moved away from doing it as much, but a couple of years ago, that was how most people did it. As photography became something everybody does and the quality of photos have gone up, people seem to be using the button less.

4 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

I can't say what the NEW (SmugMug )  owners are judging things on, but I CAN say that a few years ago I had a photo with "hip" on it like yours and The Powers That Be THEN would not accept it as safe or moderate.  I had to delete it or mark it restricted in order to get my  account released from "non-public" status.  I think that picture is fine and certainly not adult but everyone has their own ideas of what is "general" and what is not. So it will be interesting to see what happens. I don't think they would o anything without a warning though. 

I was a bit nervous to change it to Safe myself. My overimaginative brain told me it would go off an alarm in Flickr when I set a Restricted image to Safe... lol. Like  "*DING DING DING* Marianne Little set a picture to Safe herself! Throw her out!"

😆 I hope that will not happen... 😳 😨 😱

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1124 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.