Order of wearing/unwearing, attaching/unattaching

auntiemisha

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 99 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Is there a specific order of what gets worn or unworn first? Is there a Wiki or doc somewhere?

Asking for both system clothing layers and attachments.

For example if I have a folder with the following, and I "add to current outfit", then "remove from current outfit" the entire folder, in what order do the adds and removes happen?

Does the name of the item (alphanumeric) become involved in the order?

contents of FOLDERNAME/

• System Shirt 1
  • System Shirt 2
  • System Pants
  • Earring 1 attached on right ear
  • Earring 2 attached to left ear
  • Earring 3 attached to right ear
  • Mesh Pants attached to right hand (many creators leave the default to right hand)
  • Mesh Hat attached to right hand

5 answers to this question

In general: what you put on first is the lowest ranking layer. So if you put on System Shirt 2 at first and then System Shirt 1, 2 will show as worn under 1.

You can move layers around while you edit your outfit.

And it applies to texture based layers. I doubt that you would notice any difference in wearing attachments.

My attachments definitely do not seem to actually have an ordering to them.

My system layers seem pretty consistent in applying in the same order that I originally put them on in.  This is a good thing because that is really how makeup is supposed to work.  If my eye liner ends up going on before my eye shadow, then it just ends up looking like a big makeup mess.

When it comes to attachments, the order seems random. Based on sim performance, you can see the order in which your inventory items become bold (worn) and it isn't the same every time. Scripts may also initialize in the wrong order, causing some things to not work as intended (such as auto-hide features).

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

Summary... Attachments are pretty much random in how they attach and generally does not matter. In Firestorm I can see the order in which things are attaching by watching in the outfit panel. You can see system layer stuff 'attaching' too. AFAIK, the order of system layers is saved with the outfit.

If you use folders for your outfits rather than the OUTFIT PANEL then the order of system layers is not saved. You might need to adjust the order each time you wear/add the folder. Or you might luck out and the process that SL uses, which I am not sure of, for deciding the order works for you.

There is a hierarchy to the system layers but no hierarchy within the layers. Skin is always the base layer. The tats layer is above the skin, underwear above tats, clothes above tats, and jacket above all layers. But the order of a tat and makeup placed on the tat layer is up to you as it is within each layer.

So...

System-Layer-Shirt-1 and 2 are up to you to get in the right order as the SL system will see two shirts and have no idea which goes on top. Of course, the last worn is on top. That order info is saved in an Outfit not a folder.

You can set the attachment point of any item; just use the Attach To... command. You may have to edit the item into proper position after you've changed the attachment point.

Lots of creators use the right hand as the default attachment point for their items. Changing this can improve certain aspects of your SL performance, such as making it less likely you will lose attachments during a teleport, if there are too many of them attached to the same point (i.e., the right hand).

Nalates nailed the system layer order, so I won't repeat that.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 99 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.