What is Your Wish List for New Features? I Have None

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1078 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• 1 month later...
On 3/31/2021 at 8:07 AM, Coffee Pancake said:

This behavior is indicative of a systemic problem. We didn't always hide in our little skyboxes or gather silently mourning the death of conversation.

You're right, It's not region borders though, those have always been  .. adventurous. 

Full bright is very conditional as there are a few valid use cases. Also, when people go FULL FULL BRIGHT, that's usually because they are on lower end hardware and SL is dark. There is a usability issue here somewhere.

That aside, I'd like to add tinting to your list of options that should be always adjustable, or even just a new value to adjust texture gamma. Matching furniture by a dozen different creators is a PITA without it. Oh .. and always allow toggling light sources. 

Want a club nextdoor? that's how you get clubs.

Would having a Club next door really be a bad thing?  It’s pretty hard to find a Club in SL with more than 5 people in it in my experience since being active in SL only since 2015. 😉

• Like 1

I have tried to see if somebody before me has asked for houses without interior walls.

Update for Traditionals, Victorians, Log homes and Stilts. Only an empty shell inside. As I understand it, no walls is an option that it is new with the Chalets. Disclaimer: I only read on the forum that it is an option with the Chalets. I have not owned one yet.

I also strongly support tintable walls in the Traditionals, Houseboats and Campers.

Plus an option to turn all home types on the parcels.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I have tried to see if somebody before me has asked for houses without interior walls.

Great news, Marianne!  The new Chalets come in 8 models, which are 4 models with interior walls and 4 without. I really love the windmills and community areas in this new theme and the Community Centre (Drunken Mouse is wonderful)

• Like 2

- Rotate the house.

- All Linden items used in a theme in the pack. (Palm trees, stones, wall trims, etc)

- Superduper Premium, for double prims.

- The option to switch a Linden home from an alt to your main. Lost one again this weekend, still sick of it. (I would pay for this!)

- The option that if I derrender something on my parcel, that visitors also don't see it. (or be able to make Linden stuff transparent)

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, iBrat said:

- Rotate the house.

- All Linden items used in a theme in the pack. (Palm trees, stones, wall trims, etc)

Yup. I've been wishing for rotatable homes since the houseboats first landed. I don't think they can do anything with existing homes, but who knows going forward (logs homes are already rotatable 90 degrees). I do wish they would provide the content packs for all the themes available somewhere, maybe the community centers or something.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, iBrat said:

- Rotate the house.

- The option to switch a Linden home from an alt to your main. Lost one again this weekend, still sick of it. (I would pay for this!)

- The option that if I derrender something on my parcel, that visitors also don't see it. (or be able to make Linden stuff transparent)

Additional LI can't be added out of thin air.  To accommodate this, LI allocated for public spaces would have to be greatly reduced.  I'm not sure that removing items from outside my parcel so I can have more on it is a good trade-off.  Sure, we all derender an unwanted hedge or tree here and there, but generally speaking, sparsely landscaped regions would greatly impact my enjoyment of Bellisseria.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Matthieu Quander said:

Additional LI can't be added out of thin air.  To accommodate this, LI allocated for public spaces would have to be greatly reduced.  I'm not sure that removing items from outside my parcel so I can have more on it is a good trade-off.  Sure, we all derender an unwanted hedge or tree here and there, but generally speaking, sparsely landscaped regions would greatly impact my enjoyment of Bellisseria.  

Idk, I was wishing :) Maybe put the superduper people on a region with less houses?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, iBrat said:

Idk, I was wishing :) Maybe put the superduper people on a region with less houses?

Fewer homes creates big square spaces that need to be filled even more landscaping.  It may require less LI than what the homes use, but it's probably not going to be enough of a difference to allow for a significant increase for the superduper resident.  

No harm in wishing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, iBrat said:

- Rotate the house.

The last one is such a good one! 

• Like 4

Apart from rotating the house, I guess we all agree on that,  the ability to place it a bit back/forward inside the parcel.

And I join the request of having the theme options in the house pack; I wish I could have the dingy white texture included, and some of the flowers/topiaries the Moles are using. 

Edited by Elena Core
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Matthieu Quander said:

Additional LI can't be added out of thin air.  

Li is an object accounting system for billing purposes, it is not a measure of asset complexity or linked to any physical resource.

Region Li caps are set by LL and arbitrary. They could easily and quickly set the Linden Home regions to have any max Li they liked.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Li is an object accounting system for billing purposes, it is not a measure of asset complexity or linked to any physical resource.

Region Li caps are set by LL and arbitrary. They could easily and quickly set the Linden Home regions to have any max Li they liked.

Sounds tempting, but what about lag?

I think the obvious solution is more water in the regions, if LL should make double prim houses for Super Premium. Water is beautiful to look at and a landscaping element in itself. And does not use Li.

10-12 homes in a region, instead of 22 as we have now.

Heavy Li impact landscaping elements must be possible to make lower Li without making them ugly. The flowers in the later content packs, is only 1 Li. The Victorian brick walls is also low Li. Elements like rocks and stones is possible to make lower Li and still be visible from afar.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

Sounds tempting, but what about lag?

SL's rendering does a particularly bad job with object occlusion (not rendering objects hidden behind / inside another object), any notions of keeping render lag down went out the window the moment they let people move in.

If lag had been a deciding factor in Linden home design, the insides of the homes would not be inside the actual homes on the ground. A low lag solution would look something like empty buildings on the region floor and the doors linked via experience teleports to isolated skybox interiors (which is about as close as SL gets to instancing content) 

(It's also worth mentioning that different theme regions have very different performance impacts even when empty, so far each new theme has been slightly worse than the previous ones, traditional homes being the best in our testing)

I think the obvious solution is more water in the regions, if LL should make double prim houses for Super Premium. Water is beautiful to look at and a landscaping element in itself. And does not use Li.

Water adds a brutal performance hit, typically on the order of 20% when you can't see it (even when its out of draw distance in a skybox), more when you can.

Pressing CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+7 (toggles water rendering on/off) can be an easy way to get a notable performance boost. 

10-12 homes in a region, instead of 22 as we have now.

Heavy Li impact landscaping elements must be possible to make lower Li without making them ugly. The flowers in the later content packs, is only 1 Li. The Victorian brick walls is also low Li. Elements like rocks and stones is possible to make lower Li and still be visible from afar.

Li is not a measure of object complexity or even rendering impact. It has more to do with scale than anything else.

1Li objects are deceptively bad, they are practically free to place in world but present the highest ratio of land impact to render load - the bigger an object is, the better.

It's not that one big thing / person that ate all your VRAM and made SL run slow, it's those 20 tiny incidental things (inside a building, you can't see, that came from a gacha).

Edited by Coffee Pancake
typos
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

While technically this is all true, as are all of your follow-up comments, the current limits aren't entirely arbitrary, and do reflect a goal to at least keep performance within the realm of reasonable ("reasonable" being a very subjective unit of measure).  My point was that it isn't likely that LL will suddenly add more LI to regions just because they technically can.  I know they have done so in the past, but I don't see it happening again anytime soon.    

• Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 12:17 AM, AlyceAdrift said:

1.) terraform the land we 'own' so to speak. I have a great spot, my land is not level is all.
2.) rotate our houses. my spot is pretty nice, I just wish my backyard was facing the water, not so much the front. 

Can we get this to happen, please?!

My first parcel was like this. It was so bizarre to me. It was pretty awkward with all my neighbors houses facing my backyard, when if my house was just rotated 180 degrees I'd have a really lovely parcel with the backyard facing the river. 

• Like 3

• Moles

The question we always have to ask ourselves when we consider certain things is two fold. First, what are the benefits (the upside)? Alternatively, what potential issues are we opening up (the downside)? If the downside risks greatly outweigh the potential upside benefits, then it's something that isn't likely to ever happen.

For something like allowing terraforming, the upside is a resident can smooth out or flatten bit of the terrain on their own if they wish to. The downside is residents could also raise their entire parcel 4 meters or dig a deep hole under the house. Besides looking horrible in the meantime with a house in your neighborhood up on a 4m tall block (very "mainlandian" to coin a term), chances are if they abandon the house for another they would leave it in that state for the next person to deal with... and that person might have no idea how to terraform or that terraforming is even a thing. So that has to be a "not going to happen."  

The problem with rotating houses is that while in some cases it would be nice to be able to turn the house in a different direction and it would probably be fine; it also means ALL the houses could also be able to be turned in a direction that is definitely not fine. Neighborhoods with houses flipped backwards and a 4m tall privacy fence across the front entry to the parcel would not be a very welcoming sight and effectively ruin any sense of community in Bellisseria. We made allowances for trailers and one of the log homes, but we limited it in a way so they cannot be rotated in a way that would lead to that sort of thing. With the Grandview, either the side with the windows faces the "front" or the door to the house does. Those are the only two options. Also, there are some instances where if the house was rotated its root center would be in a location that could not support it or even be outside the region.

There is only one way there could ever be a theme where the houses could be rotated in any direction. It would have to be one where the house itself was designed from the beginning with essentially no true "front" or "back", eliminating the need for it to face in a particular direction to look correct OR it would have to be only ever be in locations where there is no front facing direction to the parcel. And that would have to be true across all instances and locations of that house type with regions built from the start with that functionality in mind. (And before anyone asks, that is not true of the Stilt homes in open water as they are the same houses that rez along the piers, which do always have a permanent forward facing direction.)

So essentially the answer is: "We're sorry, we can't make that happen."

Edited by Abnor Mole
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

For something like allowing terraforming, the upside is a resident can smooth out or flatten bit of the terrain on their own if they wish to. The downside is residents could also raise their entire parcel 4 meters or dig a deep hole under the house. Besides looking horrible in the meantime with a house in your neighborhood up on a 4m tall block (very "mainlandian" to coin a term), chances are if they abandon the house for another they would leave it in that state for the next person to deal with... and that person might have no idea how to terraform or that terraforming is even a thing. So that has to be a "not going to happen."  

Apparently the answer to this one is "We dont want to teach people how to fully utilize Second Life."  Why cant land revert to how it was when its sold? Or heck, hire back some of the 300 employees and have classes on how to do things in SL. Why is it up to residents to teach other residents how to do anything? Lindens get paid by LL, because of RESIDENTS. 

According to my estate manager i can NOT put a 4 meter platform on the ground so i can have a basement in my house as it makes the area look horribly ugly. Making the water only appear under the level it is on land when you want it, shouldnt be that hard to do. 

• Like 1

On 3/16/2021 at 4:18 PM, Stella Carver said:

I'd like functional mailboxes for Bellesaria. It would be neat to be able to drop someone a note when you looked at their open house home, let a friend know you stopped by, or send holiday or rezzday cards. Or to rp as mail carriers. I'd also like to be able to rotate a home in 90degree increments so I get the best view. 

I like the idea of functioning mailboxes a lot and Prokofy's suggestion.

And I know the Moles just shut down the terraform suggestion, but I would be elated if I could terraform even 1 meter (or even half a meter). Just enough to put down a water prim and make myself a pond (or start adding little ponds to parcels here and there, so we can all fight over those plots 😄).

Edited by Mercedes Avon
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1078 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.