Jump to content

Trying to build a room from scratch? (Windlass Boathouse)


Recommended Posts

Hello all! I finally started decorating my home and am having so much fun.  I have tried out a bunch of the room additions, but none really fit the idea that I have in my head.  Are there any kits that are like build a room or something? I saw a "Build a deck" and I would love something for my the top of my houseboat.  Or, I have blender and sketchup and willing to learn. I have no idea where to even start though.

Also, I placed a wreath on my door.  Is there a way to attach it so it moves with the door?

Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know of any way to attach the wreath, since you can't edit the door. 

As for the room, maybe try taking apart some of the additions you've purchased, and see if you can cobble together what you have in mind? I love doing that, making a "Frankenstein" build from a bit of this and a bit of that. lol

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Monique Bellambi said:

Are there any kits that are like build a room or something? ... Or, I have blender and sketchup and willing to learn. I have no idea where to even start though.

Also, I placed a wreath on my door.  Is there a way to attach it so it moves with the door?

It is actually pretty easy to build your own addition, just using the prim build tool in your viewer and a few fullperm (usually mesh) components.  If you rez an addition (or even just look at ones in houseboats near yours) and edit linked parts, you will see that a lot of them are built out of doors, windows and trim purchased from full perm stores, pieced together with either simple prim walls or simple mesh walls built by the person selling the addon.  

I've also torn apart inexpensive prefabs from, for example, Maya's Architecture and used pieces in various builds; they are not full perm, but they ARE copy/mod, and really I don't need anything more than that.  I even extracted the animation prim from a kitchen of hers and added it to a different kitchen I had, after removing a few anims that didn't fit the new kitchen.

@Marianne Little also did a simple tutorial for Blender on how to build your own mesh walls that requires no previous Blender knowledge.  And, some of us here in the forums are taking @Rain Alderbury 's Blender classes at the Builder's Brewery.  At one class per week, the class moves slowly, but these are great classes tailored to using Blender for SL.

When building addons, particularly for houseboats, the toughest thing is the texturing.  The interior wall textures LL gives us are the base textures; the ones actually on the houseboat walls have shadows baked into them, so they are difficult to match.  Sometimes it's best to just go with your new room having a contrasting texture, or simply lining some interior walls with new walls ("shells" or "paint walls") that you can texture to match your addon.  Some Bellisseria interior paint shells are sold on the marketplace.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, thank you for mentioning me, but that tutorial is so old that I'm blushing. It is also for wall "shells", not 2-sided walls.

I have actually built a house for myself where I made only the outer walls, and are using these walls for the inside ones:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Walls-System-Pack-Mesh-TEXTURE-ALL-FACES-FULL-PERMS/20407902

It is cheap and has parts you can use both indoor and outdoor. Link 2 parts, and Li drops to 1 Li.

Edit to add: All you see in the picture is softlinked. Before you start building, you should drag it out in a sandbox, and unlink it and take back the parts you need. You will not need gable parts and parts with windows inside.

 

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Monique Bellambi said:

Hello all! I finally started decorating my home and am having so much fun.  I have tried out a bunch of the room additions, but none really fit the idea that I have in my head.  Are there any kits that are like build a room or something? I saw a "Build a deck" and I would love something for my the top of my houseboat.  Or, I have blender and sketchup and willing to learn. I have no idea where to even start though.

Also, I placed a wreath on my door.  Is there a way to attach it so it moves with the door?

Thanks!

If you owned the door, you could put the "drawer script" by Rolig Loon into both the door and the wreath and they would move together. Since you don't own the door, put the wreath on the side of the house.

I've only seen a few creators that have a "rez a room" kind of concept, or even just "rez a table with stuff on it". And it's very niche stuff, probably not workable on a boat. Like Post has a table that rezzes absinthe, a sketchbook, glasses, etc. 

I think really someone should invent such a thing for Bellissaria. I personally like decorating every little thing in a house. But I think many users, especially men, would be happy to just press a button and have the room appear. If it could change like a holodeck, even better. So someone should make kits that rez a Belli house room. Currently you can get attachments to your house like porches and steps and decks, but I'm not aware of anything that is a room.

There are these companies that have low prim tables and a few set-ups that instantly can fill a room, but they are often sculpty items, and don't look as good.

I have mesh walls and house parts as well but I actually find building with prims better simply because the texturing works better, i.e. you don't have to use some texture that "works" or some "AO Map" or whatever.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Rain Alderbury said:

Thanks for the tag, @Nika Talaj... I'd love to teach house building - it would be an enormous class inworld, so many lessons, so many parts, physics, all that texturing. And the expense...Perhaps the place to do it would be on Beta, but I don't know if that's allowed.

Ooooh, if you can find a way to do it, that would be awesome...

A tiny home would do... a shack, even. 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Rain Alderbury said:

Thanks for the tag, @Nika Talaj... I'd love to teach house building - it would be an enormous class inworld, so many lessons, so many parts, physics, all that texturing. And the expense...Perhaps the place to do it would be on Beta, but I don't know if that's allowed.

Well, but, you're already teaching texturing in Series A and B.  Maybe they should be prerequisites. so that a 'homebuilding' class could concentrate on building and physics?

Actually, if it would be easier, maybe it would be possible to teach all the skills you need by just building a partial house?  And leaving out windows for their own series? There are several good full-perm windows on the marketplace.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...
On 4/25/2021 at 12:11 PM, Nika Talaj said:

Well, but, you're already teaching texturing in Series A and B.  Maybe they should be prerequisites. so that a 'homebuilding' class could concentrate on building and physics?

Actually, if it would be easier, maybe it would be possible to teach all the skills you need by just building a partial house?  And leaving out windows for their own series? There are several good full-perm windows on the marketplace.

A little late replying, sorry about that, but yes I agree. With both comments. The A and B must be prerequisite to any lessons on house building, or else they'll just get bogged down. I need a way to get to the physics quickly, and I think a partial house, maybe without a roof, would work. Maybe I should leave out the texture bakes as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...