Influx of new bots?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1134 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Uniformly new accounts 3 days to 2 weeks old tops keep showing up with names that all follow the same format, single name display name with a capitalized letter. No profile filled out, they seem to show up in batches of the same account age on a day.. For example today these three show up with the same age:-

image.png.519a4e256c57fd182774de06988ba450.png

Just my sim? Seen quite a lot of these following this pattern now

7 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

Uniformly new accounts 3 days to 2 weeks old tops keep showing up with names that all follow the same format, single name display name with a capitalized letter. No profile filled out, they seem to show up in batches of the same account age on a day.. For example today these three show up with the same age:-

Just my sim? Seen quite a lot of these following this pattern now

I see that now and then on Horizons.  All standing in a row.

I noticed that a little while back, in one of the older Linden Home regions. 5 people TP'd in at once at the same spot, all blank profiles, all created the same day, all using starter avis, and vanished. A few moments later, another batch 'o bots popped up, same composition of made-on-the-same-day and blank profiles, same spot even (squeezed in between two properties when I cammed over to have a peek). 

No idea why. Traffic? Seems weird to do in a Linden Home region. Shrugs.

13 hours ago, Extrude Ragu said:

strange is.. i see a C*** name in search that is 10 yrs old,  Th*** nearly 10 yrs old

These type of bots have been around forever. If you keep track of who enters your region, you'll see they pop in quite often.

I doubt they do any harm though. My presumption is that they are a form of grid surveying bot that collect information regarding regions. Not a specific person or region, but every region. This typically includes region type, estate, owner, terrain height, and possibly parcel data, just to name a few. The reason for why new accounts are created is because people ban them from parcels and regions, meaning they can't collect this information anymore.

While I would much prefer for bot owners to disclose who owns the bot, and what the bots purpose is, it isn't a requirement. However, LL does have a clause where they can start charging money if someone creates a army of accounts like this, but I don't think they have ever enforced that (Note: lack of enforcement doesn't mean it won't ever be enforced).

26 minutes ago, Chaser Zaks said:

I doubt they do any harm though. My presumption is that they are a form of grid surveying bot that collect information regarding regions.

Makes sense, I wonder what kind of data they seeking in LL housing area :)

Another possibility, bots might be collecting avatar UUIDs for subscription systems (unauthorized subscription) randomly getting advertisement from random creator makes sense if bots collecting avatar UUIDs...

1 hour ago, Yuumo Ichibara said:

Seen today while sailing:

But did they circle around you wearing shark costumes, going 'dun dun dun dun dun dun'?

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1134 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.