The Continents are Joining?

3 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I don't know where the name "Heterocetera" came from; possibly from the Linden who was into electronic music groups but isn't here any more. It was related to a Greek myth -- and actually the makers of The Sims Online (Will Wright) drew on the same concept of that body of water with the concentric circles in their main land body.

This doesn't really tell the history critically and I think is factually wrong but it's got some useful information.
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Heterocera

Maybe the name "Heterocetera" was invented by Prok? And the name "Etcetera" too?
I have never ever heard that continent called by either of those names.
As far as I know it's always been called "Heterocera". Even the Wiki article linked above calls it Heterocera - not Heterocetera.

(I understand that sometimes it can happen that we read some name right, but our memory distorts it a bit and we continue to use the distorted name without even realizing it.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
9 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

Maybe the name "Heterocetera" was invented by Prok? And the name "Etcetera" too?
I have never ever heard that continent called by either of those names.
As far as I know it's always been called "Heterocera". Even the Wiki article linked above calls it Heterocera - not Heterocetera.

(I understand that sometimes it can happen that we read some name right, but our memory distorts it a bit and we continue to use the distorted name without even realizing it.)

Or...another thing can happen, I find. Sometimes people parody things that other people continue to take with an absolute straight face well past the sell-by date.

• Haha 1
21 hours ago, Lloyd Overland said:

Useful information, thanks for sharing.

Another option I and others have mentioned is one region to the west of the link regions that lead south to Bellisseria there is an existing protected parcel leading to the Linden road in Alcona. 

image.thumb.png.2fdb7de37341452a09f05df4b324fcf5.png

image.thumb.png.1a338b14b66a67a2925f64d55d55b971.png

image.png

It's very useful if they added these regions as the seven miles bridge from Sansara to Jeogeot passing Bellisseria. including more Traditional linden homes and Boathouses with shipping and sailing regions. It's very outlandish idea for linden to build The Road Bridge for Cars here.

1200px-Seven_mile_bridge.jpg

• Like 7
9 hours ago, anuk2939mk2 said:

It's very useful if they added these regions as the seven miles bridge from Sansara to Jeogeot passing Bellisseria. including more Traditional linden homes and Boathouses with shipping and sailing regions. It's very outlandish idea for linden to build The Road Bridge for Cars here.

1200px-Seven_mile_bridge.jpg

Someone asked what amenities I wanted next - I like your idea of a "seven mile bridge", but also for sea, and air travel.

Now that the region crossings have improved, driving in Second Life has become easier, but there are still large sections of the Mainland that are air-, sea-, and land-locked. Haven't any of those Linden folks ever played SimCity?

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • 4 weeks later...

@Prokofy Neva

@Coby Foden

Heterocera continent is named after the latin species name for a moth, Lepidoptera Heterocera.

It is SL's second oldest continent and was completed on 2nd December 2005.

The earliest of Heterocera's region are to be found in its south and are almost always named after species of moth.

The continent (when first created in 2005) was centred around the Moth Temple of Iris in the Iris region of Heterocera Atoll continent, built by Xenon Linden.

The Moth Temple of Iris was built as the first telehub of the entire Heterocera continent in an area of Heterocera water regions known as The Inner Delta.

The earliest region built in Heterocera is named Caletta, built on 21st March 2005, opening just to the north of the ANWR channel.

Around Caletta are many other moth-named regions such as Oculea and Neumoegen, which are parts of the continent's extensive SLRR railway network.

Heterocera is home to Second Life's tallest mountain range, found at the northern side of the continent, although none of these mountains are snow topped.

Landmark: https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Iris/200/136/32/

moth+temple+3.jpgmothcopter.jpgmothcopter+2.jpg

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

@Prokofy Neva

@Coby Foden

Heterocera continent is named after the latin species name for a moth, Lepidoptera Heterocera.

It is SL's second oldest continent and was completed on 2nd December 2005.

The earliest of Heterocera's region are to be found in its south and are almost always named after species of moth.

The continent (when first created in 2005) was centred around the Moth Temple of Iris in the Iris region of Heterocera Atoll continent, built by Xenon Linden.

The Moth Temple of Iris was built as the first telehub of the entire Heterocera continent in an area of Heterocera water regions known as The Inner Delta.

The earliest region built in Heterocera is named Caletta, built on 21st March 2005, opening just to the north of the ANWR channel.

Around Caletta are many other moth-named regions such as Oculea and Neumoegen, which are parts of the continent's extensive SLRR railway network.

Heterocera is home to Second Life's tallest mountain range, found at the northern side of the continent, although none of these mountains are snow topped.

Landmark: https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Iris/200/136/32/

moth+temple+3.jpgmothcopter.jpgmothcopter+2.jpg

Very beautiful photos!

Yes, I'm highly aware of all those facts. I was present at the birth of Heterocera and know Iris and the other moth sims very well.

Here is a transcript and photos from a talk by Xenon Linden about his inspiration for the builds.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Thanks 5

About the closest you can get to Satori from Bellisseria by boating is the water regions around Rathais at the southwest tip.  And you're pretty much stuck there with all the orbs and lack of navigable passages around the rest of Satori.  So no reaching the Blake Sea by water from Bellisseria....yet.  Unless they add extra water regions around Satori.

Navigating through the Stilt areas up to the Chalet ones would be easier if the map worked properly.

If they want to Residents to be able to reach the inland waters of Sansara (and Heterocera) they'd need to add water regions up from the Bellisseria-Sansara connection.  Up west/northwest up to Abbots or Keltham.  And on the southeast/east side up to around Blooberry Tam.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's a one region wide empty water channel that now runs between the two Stilt home areas which makes it easy to navigate through them ;)

Regarding sailing in Satori, they still have 3 themes to build, and just by examining the unfinished areas of Bellisseria, (and looking at some of the hints they've left), you can formulate a reasonable assumption about where the continent will expand. I'm confident that when Bellisseria is 100% done, we'll be able to sail up the west coast of Satori. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Bellisseria expand so that it does indeed connect up to the north east corner of Sansara.

On the other hand, as I can't see any financial gain for LL to add a big stack of water regions heading round to Abbots, then I think that's very unlikely. 

• Thanks 1

I'll put the updated world map here too since the old one was on this thread as well. Feel free to reuse it, just keep the credit to Jessica on it or include a credit to her... she has had to do some clever stuff to put this together. (It zooms in a couple of times.)

.Mainland-2021-04-17.thumb.jpg.b3a57dddacbe9454fc90b39e70b48925.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • 1 month later...
On 4/16/2021 at 12:30 PM, diamond Marchant said:

You can sail the Chalet Home regions to Satori if you start in Diving Belle and go east... just follow the river and use the minimap. Here is a map we will use for an upcoming Leeward cruise.

I've made that trip. It's nice. You end up at a club with a dock and rez zone. That's as far north as you can get by boat in that area. Going east or west along the coast will run you into obstacles or ban lines. There is also a 512m^2 parcel with ban lines and no keep-out buoys  messing up the waterway, as noted.