All themes possibly released by the end of the year

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 62 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

At ~15 mins into Patch's talk at the Home & Garden Expo earlier today, he said their goal is to have ALL of the LH themes released by the end of the year! (If everything goes smoothly.)

That means 2 more themes (#9 and #10) after the reveal of #8 at SL18B in June.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 7
On 3/11/2021 at 12:35 AM, Claire Atheria said:

At ~15 mins into Patch's talk at the Home & Garden Expo earlier today, he said their goal is to have ALL of the LH themes released by the end of the year! (If everything goes smoothly.)

That means 2 more themes (#9 and #10) after the reveal of #8 at SL18B in June.

And then what? That's my question. That is, I don't think they need to do more. That's already an enormous amount of content work and backing and filling afterwards to make it work, and get things like the RR working, etc. It needs time to be digested and settle. But what is their vision? That they don't expect to grow the population very much in the next year or five years? That they will take old, unused Linden Homes and convert them to one of these 10 models? Or integrate them in some way? Or remove them completely?

I then wonder most of all if the Moles, who are very dedicated people with a certain set of somewhat niche skills, will still have jobs. That is, the same  Blender, scripting, community relations etc skills they have acquired here are transferable to some other platform or game or social media, but why not keep giving them work HERE?

Because there's this "Legacy Mainland" that could use a lot of attention. And attention with a plan. Not, "let's replace this gorgeous old stone bridge lovingly crafted by an early Linden with some neon black horror that belongs in Zindra, or nowhere, and not even there." With some community involvement. "Let's put in a cat/dog/dinosaur walk," something I have often heard from tenants, they would love a place where they can rez their pets and show them off to others and socialize." Or, "Let's make a bridle path where you don't keep falling off the cliff." The work seems endless if you imagine it as fixing every bad road, but becomes doable if you decide what the plan is, what its limitations are, what residents can request or not, etc. Maybe that wouldn't be enough to keep all of them employed, but at least some.

I also think that while it never seems to work very well to build the population, the Lindens can envision more RL tie-ins of the sort they had like NFL and Adult Swim. They've never had a tie-in of any interest to me, unless you count a book talk by Draxter who is Linden affiliated. But they could solicit suggestions I suppose. Apparently they are tweaking the new user experience yet again. I don't think it will succeed this time, either, but then they can surprise me.

The Moles should create an inworld, networked, advertising system with tasteful displays on roadways and at infohubs, of the kind they once had, which is kind of clunky, but which I still used at the Ross infohub for a time (until switching to a third-party device, because the Linden one truly was annoying, in the way so many ad systems are). They can make a better working one. 

We should not take what Patch said as the 100% future. Because LL can decide on more themes if they find out it is a need. I believe what Patch says is the foreseeable future.

Remember when it was said that Bellisseria should not have cloned regions? That did not last long.

But I would guess that after the 10th theme is rolled out, the main job is getting all Premiums out of the old Premium homes.

Then LL can do something with the land that had the old Premium houses. I believe they have a plan, but they do not reveal it for us yet.

• Like 4
11 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Then LL can do something with the land that had the old Premium houses. I believe they have a plan, but they do not reveal it for us yet.

I think they'll just delete them. Easier to create new regions from scratch than try to refurbish old ones.

• Like 4

Some new activity happening at the new regions. It's a shame about the Map not working for the region visuals.

ME.thumb.PNG.b6adbe116cb5bd944553567c15af48da.PNG

The next two themes after chalets I guess in yellow. 

New.thumb.PNG.9134ba97a66e3e62137390ee86f3cf33.PNG

Edited by Daniel Voyager
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 6
9 hours ago, usagihara said:
20 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I think they'll just delete them. Easier to create new regions from scratch than try to refurbish old ones.

This ^^ 

They have actually said many times that they have already looked at various update or retrofit options and they just aren't possible.  Thus the goal is to completely get rid of the old Linden Home regions.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

This ^^ 

They have actually said many times that they have already looked at various update or retrofit options and they just aren't possible.  Thus the goal is to completely get rid of the old Linden Home regions.

That is sad because there are some Gems hidden among those regions. I hope they keep or move those elsewhere.

• Like 1
On 3/15/2021 at 4:09 AM, Marianne Little said:

We should not take what Patch said as the 100% future. Because LL can decide on more themes if they find out it is a need. I believe what Patch says is the foreseeable future.

Remember when it was said that Bellisseria should not have cloned regions? That did not last long.

But I would guess that after the 10th theme is rolled out, the main job is getting all Premiums out of the old Premium homes.

It would be fascinating if they went back to a "First Land" concept -- that you buy and decorate your own 512 or 1024 for $512 or $1024 -- but on sims they maintain with trees, roads, easements and rules! Like "no builds over two stories" or "skyboxes at 1000" or "no commercial activity".  It would turn out very different, I think.

Another thing they might do is have a Linden inworld marketplace like "Busy Ben's" or whatever it was named in the old days.

One of the things I hope they keep (and I hope they didn't kill it already) was the areas created by Misty Mole with a kind of dinosaur made out of rocks, and saves and a game with various props like the Professor Linden suitcase (which I have for free on a quest if anyone is interested). I liked Elderglen as well.

• Like 3
22 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

This ^^ 

It is not impossible to get Lindens to change or modify some of their unilateral, draconian decisions. There are case studies from the past. But for that to happen, there has to be a unified, organized, and vocal residents' group. And there isn't, among old Linden Homes. At least that I'm aware of.

12 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

It is not impossible to get Lindens to change or modify some of their unilateral, draconian decisions. There are case studies from the past. But for that to happen, there has to be a unified, organized, and vocal residents' group. And there isn't, among old Linden Homes. At least that I'm aware of.

From what I've read on the forums, it is not clear the Old Linden Home residents are aware their homes are in any danger. Hard to organize if there isn't a perceived need to do so.

Edited by Eirynne Sieyes
  • Like 1
19 minutes ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

From what I've read on the forums, it is not clear the Old Linden Home residents are aware their homes are in any danger. Hard to organize if there isn't a perceived need to do so.

Well, I'm afraid I have RL causes that are more important than trying to reach the owners of old Linden Homes in a virtual world and rally them to protest, which is not only a job like herding cats, it's not clear what the objective is. Those who have the time and motivation could try sending notecards to every 10th person or something. Might be prudent to watch the map for actual green dots. But then what? Sounds like the Lindens aren't going to keep them. They will be given another spot. The question is only how this is done, by making them join the big pool of page refreshers, or giving them at least a choice of style, while the location may still be random or something, as compensation.

1 hour ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

I'm sure there are still tons that know nothing about Bellisseria and won't know until they get blasted with emails and/or inworld notices telling them they have to move.

• Like 2
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 62 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.