The Consciousness Spinoff From Somewhere, And The Queen's Gambit

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1138 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

@Rolig Loon

Where were we talking about Queen's Gambit and the consciousness of a scripter you explained so well? I can't find that thread!...though I do remember it was off-topic, hence perhaps this spinoff is a better way to discuss.    :(   I enjoyed comprehending the way minds operates a bit better...the consciousness we employ when doing various tasks (scripting, creating art).

The Queen's Gambit (great series on Netflix) caused me to process all this at a deeper level.

I think this is a really excellent, excellent parody of "The Queen's Gambit," and this comic is super talented, and really, I can only understand his parodies of American movies because that's when he does his excellent American accents, but those of you with broader cultural horizons can watch his other parodies. I loved this so much I went and watched the real series, although it took some weeks, it's painful. I will say this: our wallpaper in our RL 1960s house in the 1960s did not look like the wallpaper in this movie.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 1

The Queen's Gambit does indeed strike many of the themes that create a good story -- the underdog prevails, our she-roe makes good! Feminism, the struggles inherent in achievement, the importance of mentors and friends, dealing with loss, perseverance and overcoming adversity.
An interesting article pointing to the psychological truths in the story:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/why-we-need-heroes/202011/10-psychological-truths-in-the-queen-s-gambit

I think what I received from the series the most, what inspired me, was a truth I sometimes forget. While it's true our minds are structured differently according to so many factors due to physical and environmental influences, and so perhaps the following Einstein quote isn't totally accurate, so much of what limits us is actually within our control:

Einstein curious.jpg

@Rolig Loon

You said in the other thread:

"Much of the search is conscious.  There are standard chess moves -- gambits -- that are known to produce good results in special settings.  Scripters collect subroutines and functions that they know will save time and make code more efficient.  A good chunk of scripting and chess, though, is aesthetic.  You don't think about it directly, any more than an artist thinks consciously about which brush stroke and blend of paints on the palette will create beauty.  Beauty comes out of the life experience and emotions of an artist. A scripter or a chess player creates beauty in the same way; not intentionally but by putting herself inside the creation and feeling it evolve. I can understand the way that the chess player in The Queen's Gambit saw an imaginary game unfolding on her bedroom ceiling, almost like being an actress in a video. I have friends who are mathematicians who see the same thing in equations."

Yes that 'entering in' to the creative process you describe is what I love. Previously I sometimes imagined the conscious mind was somehow 'gone' in the process when operating optimally while creating, but actually it has simply transformed and let go of controlling the process in order to allow more access to the subconscious mind. Much of the time it seems my conscious mind won't cooperate, preferring to worry or attend to god knows what, but when it does cooperate then sheer bliss ensues!

Of course the subconscious mind must be filled, prepared, and contain the items to access (as we saw Beth in The Queen's Gambit do via her daily practice). When all goes well there is the sense that *I* did not create anything and instead it was created by something beyond myself.

20 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I really enjoyed that series.. I binge watched the whole thing..

I binged it too. I almost didn't watch it, as I thought it was only about post-pubescent love troubles and a game (not that fond of games). But I kept hearing good things about the series, and when the main character won the Golden Globe for best actress I though at least I could enjoy some good acting.  I was pleasantly surprised.

But now, as is often the case after watching something good, I am spoiled...I can't find anything to watch as I view a bit of a movie or series and feel bored. Waiting for a new hidden gem.

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I binged it too. I almost didn't watch it, as I thought it was only about post-pubescent love troubles and a game (not that fond of games). But I kept hearing good things about the series, and when the main character won the Golden Globe for best actress I though at least I could enjoy some good acting.  I was pleasantly surprised.

But now, as is often the case after watching something good, I am spoiled...I can't find anything to watch as I view a bit of a movie or series and feel bored. Waiting for a new hidden gem.

I will say, Netflix does make some good originals..

There is a few that I've really liked..

I was told by a friend that I had to see Queens Gambit..  She's really picky, so I knew it had to be pretty good..

It ended up being really good.. I love when they do different times, like this was in the 6o's I think..  Mind Hunter was really neat like that too..

10 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I love when they do different times, like this was in the 6o's I think..  Mind Hunter was really neat like that too..

I will check that out.

Going to watch Penguin Bloom on Netflix, a true story about how the caring for a lost bird helps heal a person/family going through tough times. Reminds me a bit of one from the late 90's, Fly Away Home, as the flock of birds were instrumental in helping them transcend the pain:

Edited by Luna Bliss

10 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I will check that out.

Going to watch Penguin Bloom on Netflix, a true story about how the caring for a lost bird helps heal a person/family going through tough times. Reminds me a bit of one from the late 90's, Fly Away Home, as the flock of birds were instrumental in helping them transcend the pain:

I better warn you, just in case you don't know what Mind Hunters is about..

It's about the two guys in the FBI that started to study and interview serial killers..  They were the ones that came up with the term serial killer..

It's really interesting and you don't see anyone getting killed, but it does get pretty creepy at times when you really start to listen to the serial killers..

It's really good though for sure.. At least I think so anyways..

1 minute ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I better warn you, just in case you don't know what Mind Hunters is about..

It's about the two guys in the FBI that started to study and interview serial killers..  They were the ones that came up with the term serial killer..

It's really interesting and you don't see anyone getting killed, but it does get pretty creepy at times when you really start to listen to the serial killers..

It's really good though for sure.. At least I think so anyways..

Ahh, well you might be noticing I do like my happy, transcendent movies where all turns out well in the end.

But I've always liked to study cases where something went horribly wrong -- sometimes you can't understand what went right unless you understand what can go horribly wrong...

Trying to understand the mind of a serial killer, a psychopath, is indeed chilling...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1138 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.