The Darwin Spin Off

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1114 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

29 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:
4 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

As it ended up, a serial killer actually lived there, one who had eluded capture and terrorized the city for decades. I believe I tuned into the 'bad vibes' on the street where he lived, although I would never say I'm 100% convinced I detected something. I have no other explanation really.

Oh I am  a great believer in gut instinct. I don't think it's psychic power but there is definitely something we have that alerts to us to danger. 

Yes sometimes the 'gut' can be a good guide. I really wish we could get away from such names as 'psychic powers' and 'supernatural' to describe experiences which transcend the typical physical ways we communicate, because these strange names make intuition sound spooky or like total fantasy.

Taking an in-person example of intuition, it can often be difficult to ascertain if what we sense is truly beyond the physical or if the intuition has physical correlations. For example, if we meet a person and get a creepy feeling did we subconsciously pick up on shifty eyes or subtly dishonest responses, perhaps a manner of speaking that seemed manipulative, etc. -- or did we get this intuition based on no physical evidence whatsoever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

In order to believe in synchronicities, you must also either discount, or be ignorant of, the well established propensity for humans to find connections where none exist, and to wildly misestimate probabilities and risks. I see that in myself. Neither of you has avoided it.

Just because the distortions in thinking you mentioned CAN happen does not prove ALL synchronicity is a product of faulty thinking. Of course we should certainly be aware of how bias can creep in, and how we as humans easily assign meaning and connections to events that are most likely random. But again, just because our minds often see connections that aren't there does not prove ALL untypical connections are imagined.
Since your world view is one of scientific materialism I think it more likely that synchronicity could never be an option for you because your beliefs don't allow it -- such is the sadness of dogmatic beliefs   :( 

As for your tuning into "vibes", what percentage of the murders in that city do you imagine were caused by that serial killer over the decades? Is it possible there were far more threatening "vibes" that you completely missed?

Of course there must have been plenty of violence I 'missed' getting vibes from in my city, but just because synchronicity would work some of the time doesn't mean it has to work ALL of the time. Our minds never operate the same way even when undergoing typical daily experiences -- there is much variance according to time of day, nutrition, emotional state -- so why would this be any different when evaluating an accurate perception inherent in non-typical states of awareness (like synchronicity). Really, all or nothing thinking from YOU -- something I never imagined would happen :( 

Your vibe detecting ability is subject to the same biases as for people who refuse to fly in aircraft because they sense the inherent danger in doing so.

As an example of tuning into vibes, yours is among the most easily explained as bias.

I suggest reading Daniel Kahneman's "Thinking Fast and Slow" to see the myriad ways in which you can fool yourself into thinking you "know" far more than you really do.

Well we've kind of been here before haven't we -- I think it was in discussing Yogananda and his mystical experiences some years ago.
Anyway, Madelaine, you seem unusually threatened regarding world views that counter your religion -- the scientific materialism religion you espouse and/or anything that appears to defy logic.
Thanks for the book recommendation, however I have no books for you off the top of my head -- perhaps therapy could allay your fears and obsession with the curse of the reductionist, dissecting mind. Sometimes time and experience can heal as well. Good luck   :)

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

Oh I am  a great believer in gut instinct. I don't think it's psychic power but there is definitely something we have that alerts to us to danger. 

Myself, I believe experiences put that into our gut..

My father told me about a guy he worked with that had gotten electrocuted.. My father was down in the basement and the guy he was working with was up in the attic..

The guy in the attic was cutting through a conduit and was going to add a box.. He cut the power to the line he was working on, but ended up cutting through the wrong conduit.. So rather than come back out of the attic, He lays over the conduit he had just cut and starts to cut another conduit.. while he was cutting the other conduit, the one he was laying on cut into the wires..

My father said, the lights flashed and then all the power in the house went out.. He blew the main breaker..

My father said, when he got to him, his ears were red.. The only thing that saved him was the breaker kicking off..

Anyways, he ended up surviving, but forgot everything he knew.. The only thing from his long term memory that he could remember was his mother..

He didn't remember his sisters or my father or even things like, looking both ways before crossing the street..

All his experiences were erased.. He could speak, but my father said he didn't have any filler words.. Rather than saying, I'm gonna go to the store, He would say it like, I go store.

My father said, It was really hard to understand at first, him not recognizing me.. He said it just felt like he was playing a prank, when he knew he wasn't.. He said it was just hard to make himself believe it..

When my father was telling me this, I was so glued..  It really showed me how quick everything we know can just go bye bye that fast.. And how much of everything we know that we take for granted..

When he said he didn't even know to look both ways to cross the street, That really sunk in deep for me..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

. For example, if we meet a person and get a creepy feeling did we subconsciously pick up on shifty eyes or subtly dishonest responses, perhaps a manner of speaking that seemed manipulative, etc. -- or did we get this intuition based on no physical evidence whatsoever.

I had this once in a supermarket...this man had his back to me, just looking at the shelves, looked normal, etc,  but I got a really bad vibe as soon as I saw him and just thought "That person's trouble"... then he came up really close to me in another aisle, absolutely furious, and started swearing at me, I think he was disturbed...I hid at the back hoping he'd left, but he was arguing with the staff at the checkout until security came over. I don't know why I got that vibe when I couldn't even see his face and he wasn't even doing anything 'strange' when I first saw him...

• Like 1

In order to believe in synchronicities, you must also either discount, or be ignorant of, the well established propensity for humans to find connections where none exist, and to wildly misestimate probabilities and risks. I see that in myself. Neither of you has avoided it.

As for your tuning into "vibes", what percentage of the murders in that city do you imagine were caused by that serial killer over the decades? Is it possible there were far more threatening "vibes" that you completely missed?

Your vibe detecting ability is subject to the same biases as for people who refuse to fly in aircraft because they sense the inherent danger in doing so. You never hear stories of people who had sudden changes of plan that prevented them from boarding flights that completed without incident. That's happened to me a half dozen times over my life, canceling virtually all the stories I've heard of people who's change of plan "saved their lives".The nature of aircraft crashes (lots of people dying at once) makes them highly memorable yet, per passenger mile (or total lifetime risk), flying is far safer than driving, riding a bicycle or walking, or being in bed. It's the same for serial murderers, who are highly memorably yet kill approximately nobody in comparison to the totality of violent deaths across the world.

As an example of tuning into vibes, yours is among the most easily explained as bias.

I suggest reading Daniel Kahneman's "Thinking Fast and Slow" to see the myriad ways in which you can fool yourself into thinking you "know" far more than you really do.

You're failing to distinguish between those having a premonition about a one time event and those who use such to allow it to become an obsession or phobia. I pointed that out with my remarks about the discerning the differences in the voices all clamoring for attention within one's mind. Aside from the fact that we don't all have a several courses in statistical analysis and ability to do high level calculus for every potential situation one might face in the course of a lifetime, relying on some intuition is not a bad thing.

Some of the premonitions I have had over the years were relevant because I also tend towards procrastination and I have experienced the downsides of not following up on some of them. In fact I would posit that most of the larger incidents that have happened in my life over the last few decades, I have had a premonition about that I did not follow up on to my detriment. Examples being, not following through with having a chimney pipe cleaned out because when the premonition came that I should, I ignored it based on that according to my calculations of the last cleanout, it should be fine still. Result was house burning down from a chimney fire. Having a premonition one day that I should have something done to strengthen up my favourite leaning shade tree that kept my former house cool during the summer months and then delaying because after all, it had withstood the elements successfully for years. Then within 2 months a freak wind funneling between my house and neighbours, blew it down.

So ok yes you could go on about the premonitions that turned out false, but I am willing to bet many have also had premonitions that in the end turned out to be true because people didn't act on them.

Just now, Rat Luv said:

Wow, that's crazy. Did he make a full recovery or ever regain his memory?

He said that he was picking things up through therapy really fast.. But when he got out of the hospital His family took him back to Kentucky with them.. They lost touch not long after.

Oh ,He also said, His personality was totally changed..

I doubt he would regain his memory after that.. It was pretty much erased..

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Oh ,He also said, His personality was totally changed..

I've heard that about some people who suffer head injuries...sometimes when they recover, even if their memory returns or wasn't affected, they now have completely different interests and reactions. 

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Anyways, he ended up surviving, but forgot everything he knew.. The only thing from his long term memory that he could remember was his mother..

This reminds me my friends father. He have schizophrenia and stuck at 1960s a time line when he is not married and not had any children. He returns normal after taking medication. Before taking medication he is "some one else".

Human experience limited with perception and memory, without medication he probably will find it difficult to believe he is married and had child even if it is recorded somewhere.

Edited by RunawayBunny
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

You're failing to distinguish between those having a premonition about a one time event and those who use such to allow it to become an obsession or phobia. I pointed that out with my remarks about the discerning the differences in the voices all clamoring for attention within one's mind. Aside from the fact that we don't all have a several courses in statistical analysis and ability to do high level calculus for every potential situation one might face in the course of a lifetime, relying on some intuition is not a bad thing.

Some of the premonitions I have had over the years were relevant because I also tend towards procrastination and I have experienced the downsides of not following up on some of them. In fact I would posit that most of the larger incidents that have happened in my life over the last few decades, I have had a premonition about that I did not follow up on to my detriment. Examples being, not following through with having a chimney pipe cleaned out because when the premonition came that I should, I ignored it based on that according to my calculations of the last cleanout, it should be fine still. Result was house burning down from a chimney fire. Having a premonition one day that I should have something done to strengthen up my favourite leaning shade tree that kept my former house cool during the summer months and then delaying because after all, it had withstood the elements successfully for years. Then within 2 months a freak wind funneling between my house and neighbours, blew it down.

So ok yes you could go on about the premonitions that turned out false, but I am willing to bet many have also had premonitions that in the end turned out to be true because people didn't act on them.

I think I could say that there's almost nothing of importance in my life that I haven't thought about before it happens. The day of my first solo flight in a Cessna 152, I imagined dying in a crash landing. I also imagined getting my license and taking Dad for a ride. The day I got married, I imagined getting divorced. I also imagined having children. I'm alive. I gave Dad that ride. I'm divorced and childless. My "premonitions" are a coin toss.

Your examples of "premonitions" are perfect examples of bias. You don't remember the countless times that nothing extraordinary happens, or doesn't, in agreement with, or counter to, some thought you had.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rat Luv said:

I've heard that about some people who suffer head injuries...sometimes when they recover, even if their memory returns or wasn't affected, they now have completely different interests and reactions. 

https://www.amazon.com/Man-Who-Mistook-His-Wife/dp/1491514078

Though Mom's personality didn't change after her stroke, a whole bunch of other things did. I apologized to her in the early days of her limited recovery, explaining that, like it or not, she and I were embarking on a grand voyage of discovery and experimentation as we learned to make the best of what she still had.

ETA: 

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Thanks 1

Some people might be surprised at how many doctors have said to me "it's a miracle".  Or in some other words "this is miraculous, it gives me great hope".  Well, some may say that's just California, you'll wacky there...maybe or maybe not.  But, I doubt doctors saying they believe or have witnessed miracles would think they are "wacky" Southern Californians or even that it's wacky at all.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think I could say that there's almost nothing of importance in my life that I haven't thought about before it happens. The day of my first solo flight in a Cessna 152, I imagined dying in a crash landing. I also imagined getting my license and taking Dad for a ride. The day I got married, I imagined getting divorced. I also imagined having children. I'm alive. I gave Dad that ride. I'm divorced and childless. My "premonitions" are a coin toss.

Your examples of "premonitions" are perfect examples of bias. You don't remember the countless times that nothing extraordinary happens, or doesn't, in agreement with, or counter to, some thought you had.

The reason I don't remember those countless times is because I did not have them. Unlike you I am not caught up in the imagined future but more focused on the now. I don't mean that in any negative way, it is just that some are focused on the past, some the now and some in the future. Those premonitions when they occur are rare and are accompanied with a sense of significance that separates them from the more mundane thoughts flitting about in day to day thoughts.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Anyway, Madelaine, you seem unusually threatened regarding world views that counter your religion -- the scientific materialism religion you espouse and/or anything that appears to defy logic.
Thanks for the book recommendation, however I have no books for you off the top of my head -- perhaps therapy could allay your fears and obsession with the curse of the reductionist, dissecting mind. Sometimes time and experience can heal as well. Good luck   :)

Just so I'm clear on this...

Do all materialists need therapy?

Only people who disagree with you?

Just me?

It's so difficult for me to figure this out when I'm feeling threatened by your inestimable powers of mental dissection and diagnosis. If it's only me that'd be great. Mental health care professionals are very busy these days and I don't fancy pandemic level competition for couch space.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

What happens when you get electrocuted is, you start to cook.. That guys ears being red was not a good sign..

He had to be tied down long enough to where it was cooking his brain and messing up neuron networks..

I remember I was scrubbing the floor one time.. I was kneeling in water, my supporting hand was in water and my scrub brush caught a light cord that I guess had been rubbed down to the wires..

Anyways, I remember not being able to move and being locked there..I don't even remember any pain at the time it was happening..

The only thing that saved me was my supporting hand slipped on the soap which caused me to collapse , which unlocked the bristles  from holding onto the wire..So the wire snapped back to where it was, which was out of the water.

I'm only guessing that i must have been shaking enough to cause my other hand to slide out enough to slip.. I had no idea what my body was doing at the time..

When I got unlocked, I laid there for what seemed like 5 minutes in the water just looking at the ceiling.. The whole day and that night my stomach felt like I had been kicked by a horse so hard.. I couldn't eat for like three days..

My father told me it was because I was cooking.. He said he's been tied down a couple of times and it's no fun at all..

He still took me to the doctor.. They checked me out and gave me something for the pain, which really they didn't seem to help much or if they were, I sure would have hated not having them.. hehehe

I don't think I had any lasting impacts from that, other than maybe it making me a really picky eater.. hehehe

I cannot stand the smell of any fast foods,They make my stomach turn.. I hate eating out and thinking someone else is making my food in a kitchen that is doing nothing but making meal after meal from open to close.. It doesn't take much to make my stomach turn when it comes to food..

I can be in a barn all day long cleaning out stables, but show me a McDonald's bag and I'll start urping like there is no tomorrow.. hehehe

I was only tied down for a few seconds, I think..  I couldn't imagine what being tied down for longer would be like..

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Rat Luv said:
18 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

. For example, if we meet a person and get a creepy feeling did we subconsciously pick up on shifty eyes or subtly dishonest responses, perhaps a manner of speaking that seemed manipulative, etc. -- or did we get this intuition based on no physical evidence whatsoever.

I had this once in a supermarket...this man had his back to me, just looking at the shelves, looked normal, etc,  but I got a really bad vibe as soon as I saw him and just thought "That person's trouble"... then he came up really close to me in another aisle, absolutely furious, and started swearing at me, I think he was disturbed...I hid at the back hoping he'd left, but he was arguing with the staff at the checkout until security came over. I don't know why I got that vibe when I couldn't even see his face and he wasn't even doing anything 'strange' when I first saw him...

Do you have any theories as to how you were able to detect this in him while only seeing his back? Barring any physical clues (even something like a strange smell we might not pick up consciously), the first thing that occurs to me is what is known as the 'energy field' which extends quite a ways from people -- in this way we are 'touched' by others and can pick up information. (prana, chi -- many other names for this field  that I can't remember atm).

Certain disciplines train people to sense this 'energy' if one doesn't already have the ability.

9 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Just so I'm clear on this...

Do all materialists need therapy?

Only people who disagree with you?

Just me?

It's so difficult for me to figure this out when I'm feeling threatened by your inestimable powers of mental dissection and diagnosis.

Just you. My best friend is an atheist and a materialist yet I've had no problems with her, and so disagreeing with another isn't the issue. She doesn't insist that I read books on how I must be fooling myself with a defective mind should I discuss experiences which appear to transcend known physical laws though. She doesn't insist she knows everything. She allows others to have differing viewpoints on the matter without diagnosing them as delusional.
Big difference, compared to what you do.

I genuinely believe that since this issue disturbs you so much that counseling would be of benefit.
Since you consistently diagnose others as having malfunctioning minds isn't it only fair that I do a little diagnosing of you?

4 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:
7 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

As do you....

No, I actually don't.  Saying you must be high isn't quite the same.  It's more sarcastic than diagnostic.

I'm not sure this is important when regarding the issue at hand.

Which is....I felt diagnosed by Maddy in this particular instance so did not feel hesitant in diagnosing her.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1114 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.