Deploy for the week of 2020-03-08

Maestro Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1140 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Second Life Server:

https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/simulator/2021-02-22.556255.html

Tuesday 2021-03-09 07:00-12:00 PST

Second Life RC:

Approximately 2% of the grid will be migrated from various older versions to 556255

Thursday 2021-03-11 07:00-08:00 PST

On Region Restarts:

As usual, we'll be restarting Second Life Server regions that have been up for more than 10 days.

Edited by Mazidox Linden
Small RC roll on Thursday to catch some stragglers.
  • Thanks 7

@Maestro Linden Can you finally agree on a correct time? In the grid status, the rolling restart was announced at 3am and here 4 hours later at 7am. Now what the hell is the actual execution time? So in any case, it's just confusing the paying customers who are waiting for their region to go through the rolling restart. It can't go on like this, please. As a paying customer, such actions make you feel more than just kidding.

Edited by Miller Thor
  • Like 2

@Miller Thor Since the GSP announced the start of the roll at 3am SLT, I am fairly sure Maestro needs to adjust his watch! 

That said, I have seen no signs of the new server version on regions I regularly visit which were on Main Server so your guess, right now is as good as mine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Miller Thor said:

Can you finally agree on a correct time? In the grid status, the rolling restart was announced at 3am and here 4 hours later at 7am. Now what the hell is the actual execution time? So in any case, it's just confusing the paying customers who are waiting for their region to go through the rolling restart. It can't go on like this, please. As a paying customer, such actions make you feel more than just kidding.

Chill your entitlement down there, buddy.  It's easier to coax out answers when you're not acting as you are now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

While I don't see anything more than gossip and rumour, we're  at T+7h and even SpaceX can get out news of a scrubbed launch faster than that. Heck, that's enough time to fuel a booster, scrub the launch, change a few settings in the booster's internal code, re-fuel the booster, launch at a new T-0, make a soft landing with the booster, and then have it blow up later.

I suppose we're due a Rapid Unplanned Server Deployment.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, arabellajones said:

While I don't see anything more than gossip and rumour, we're  at T+7h and even SpaceX can get out news of a scrubbed launch faster than that. Heck, that's enough time to fuel a booster, scrub the launch, change a few settings in the booster's internal code, re-fuel the booster, launch at a new T-0, make a soft landing with the booster, and then have it blow up later.

I suppose we're due a Rapid Unplanned Server Deployment.

Methinks someone watched the SN10 launch / flight ... 😉 .

• Haha 1

Ahh well congratulations LL, for the second week in a fortnight you missed my home, Woods of Heaven, in today's restarts.  I am still on 555570!  and conventiently the "End of Roll" announcement coincided with the closing of Live Chat.

WTG

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Maestro Linden said:

Hi guys, the SLS roll really did start at 07:00 SLT this week.   The grid status page was incorrect for this week, though 03:00 SLT is the typical roll time we've had in the past for SLS.

Let's be honest, it's no wonder you guys fail to restore the world map's functionality, a simple rolling restart is too difficult for you now to carry out.

23 hours ago, Maestro Linden said:

As usual, we'll be restarting Second Life Server regions that have been up for more than 10 days.

Oh and this is false, main channel regions only got restarted today after exactly 28 days, the grid poking bot or whatever it is, is still broken. It would be much easier to just do a restart on an entire channel even without simulator version update every 7-14 days (1-2 weeks) just to keep their uptime low.

• Like 1

To LL's credit the ticket was responded to almost immediately and Woods has been rolled to 556255.  I noticed at least one other region had not been rolled and as I waited out the Restart of Woods I got the restart warning there, so looks like loose ends are being tidied up promptly.

@Ardy LayRubbish.  I sent a ticket in to point out that my region had for the second time in short order been "missed out" of the roll.  I also noted that Ll replied to the ticket vewry quickly.

Unless You are trolling me that is the end of it.

Seriously though, are Second Life simulators still in need of a restart every ten days or so?  They seem to be working pretty well for me now.  Granted, I don't go very many places.  We do have a fair bit of traffic in our own regions and those are working quite well when compared to the previous 2 years of pain and suffering with extreme time dilation and very low percentages of scripts getting run time per simulation frame.  Recently, I have seen my regions accumulate over 20 days of uptime between restarts and nobody using them had anything negative to say about it.

@Ardy Lay Indeed  the restarts that Linden Datacentre servers needed on a fairly short timescale do not appear to be anything like as necessary on AWS cloud servers.  My own region ran quite adequately for 21 days recently and showed none of the memory leakage and time dilation issues that were all to familiar in the past.  Indeed the only issue I encountrered on one occasion after a run of about 18 days was a small packet-loss issue (0.1%), which I at first attributed to my own connection but which vanished as soon as I TP'd to another region and returned when I came back.  This time dilation stability is one of the best aspects, from a user's viewpoint, of the uplift.

The irritation I expressed above was not connected to the need for a restart (as region manager I am able to do that myself at will), but the fact that new code was being rolled and the region had been missed out on two seperate occasions recently.  That oversight was quickly remedied by LL engineering and my thanks are due to them for a prompt response.

Edited by Aishagain
spelling correction

The claimed 10 days seems pessimistic. I have seem mixed results on sims reporting 21 days and over. My guess is that heavy use may be an element. So my relatively low-usage Linden Homes region was OK, while Kuula region, heavily used, was showing serious lag and eventutally crashed several hours before the restarts last week.

So 10 days might be a safe trigger level. Remember, if the test is done on a 7-day cycle we're going to have some regions up for 16 days.

• Like 1

All this makes me wonder if Region Director or Presence could raise a call for orderly restart of a region when the simulation process is in duress.  I suppose the hard part would be reliably detecting duress.

I am happy with a weekly check resulting in approximately bi-weekly restarts.  That seems quite reasonable and does work well _for_me_ in the current operating conditions.  I "grew up" on weekly whole-grid restarts, and sometimes that was not sufficiently frequent.  I do wonder if there are mainland regions that need restarted more frequently than bi-weekly.  I used to have to request restarts during some weeks.  I agree that the timing of the improvement seems to be related to moving to "the cloud", or a cloud, anyway.  I would like to think it is a combination of focused software improvement and the newer hardware it is running on.

16 hours ago, Ardy Lay said:

Seriously though, are Second Life simulators still in need of a restart every ten days or so?

Sadly it seems so. It mainly depends on how often you have unique visitors coming and going in your region and what they're wearing as far as complex mesh and maybe scripts.

It also can depend on the level of physics used in the region and/or unique mesh/scripted objects are regularly, but randomly rezzed too.

It's like there are several areas where memory is not cleaned up or released properly/fully.

The longer these kinds of regions run, you start seeing varying FPS drops with ANY agent entry or mesh/scripted/physical object rezzing.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1140 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.