Alpha layers: leave them on or take them off?

Pup Karu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1091 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

My mesh body has alpha layers for the body, skin, clothing and tattoos. It seems I need the body alpha layer on, but I've been putting clothes on and off without putting that alpha layer on. What's the function of alpha layers? Do they always need to be on? Does the sequence they go on/off matter?

3 answers to this question

If you add an outfit, and you walk forward and nothing splits through, e.g. under the arms, shoulders, etc., then you don't need to wear alpha layers.  They are only necessary if your avi body splits through mesh clothes.  Some animations cause a brief split through clothing when walking/arms swinging, and so I always test walking, with particular attention to under the arms, before I pass on wearing an alpha.  Always great when one doesn't have to deal with alphas!

• Like 1

Said another way...

Alpha layers are used to hide parts of the avatar. Tight fitting clothes often move inside the avatar as it moves. The result is the body appears to poke through the clothes. The part of the body poking through needs to be hidden. It still pokes through you just can't see it.

When avatars are set to extreme sizes the fit of clothes often doesn't work well. Typical size avatars tend to fit clothes better and have less problems. Depending on how you sized your avatar you may or may not need to wear the alpha layer.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1091 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.