What about "likes". What must a picture have that you react on it?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1123 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

22 hours ago, Doc Carling said:

To win other people that they not only model for you, but model free is an art by itself. Not everyone is a master of this art.  Perhaps one reason why so many photographers prefer to photograph only themselves.  

I started to build avatars which serve as models  about 2 years ago. That's another alternative. If it's an easier one? I don't know. As a side effect I learned much about BoM, mesh bodies and mesh heads.  Back to the topic. When I "like" a picture that especially means I like the style and the way how the avatar is displayed on that picture.  I "like" also pictures which tell a story. I don't have a problem with edited pictures.  Last but not least I "like" pictures posted by starters.  I'm not so into landscape pictures.

Edited by Doc Carling
  • Like 1

Some years ago, I followed the "Flickr game" as @Chic Aeonmentioned. It was effective if you count views/comments/favorites.  See who I got faves and comments from, go back and do the same for them. Then, I "fished" by liking pictures of unknown posters and watched if I got something back.

It had to be done every day though. Stop it and they stop. I would not say that I liked pictures I hated. It was always something to like. But I did not have time to study them in detail, I had to hurry to keep up and fave all the other pictures.

I am sure somebody follow me because they truly like my images. But not hundreds of people.

I did it because it exited me then. Now, I just post and don't bother with that game on Flickr.

In the forum, I do not post often, but go back some pages and like the images. I try to be nice and like images of all kinds, because I don't want to be some "elite". I only post in one thread under the Avatar part.

• Like 2

On 3/12/2021 at 1:00 AM, ValKalAstra said:

A trade.

That's what likes are in some forum threads. Well, not fair, yes. But one can play the game and review a picture in an additional reply. Though not many are using the option. Especially critique of pictures is very rare.  Actually one could post a black screen and still would receive some like for it.

2 hours ago, Doc Carling said:

Especially critique of pictures is very rare.

Because no one's made a 'critique my pics' thread. And because whenever people do 'critique' pictures, it turns into drama and flaming. Positive critique like 'That looks amazing' is fine - but then doing so and including a quote with the full picture is rather frowned upon, and something that almost got the 'how does your avatar look today?' thread closed the other year. 

These forums probably aren't the best place for it. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Orwar said:

including a quote with the full picture is rather frowned upon

Not as much now with the change to the forum software that shrinks down any large quoted posts.

8 hours ago, Doc Carling said:

Though not many are using the option. Especially critique of pictures is very rare. 

The premise of most of the picture threads is for showing off your avatar.  Other than some specific threads about technical stuff, the picture threads are not requesting critiques.  Every now and then someone does specifically ask for an opinion. However, if nobody is requesting an opinion, it most definitely is not appropriate to give a negative one - or even one that might be called "constructive criticism'.  It anyone is to comment on one of the pictures in those threads, it should be positive comments only.

• Like 1

Yeh, to be fair - not even forums dedicated to professionals are immune to the drama (getting flashbacks to a writer's place I used to haunt *shudder*). They always needed stringent rules and heavy moderation. Even that didn't stop annual cataclysms and flaring egos - and those communities did not have entire sites dedicated to anonymous harassment and petty gossip.

As much as I would love to provide and get feedback sometimes - that's not a nuclear minefield I'm ready to wade into.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2020 at 12:42 PM, Doc Carling said:

Actually I don't want to gain reputation or popularity. I got enough of both. :P I like to show my pictures and to take a look at other SL photographers work. Feedback is very welcome.

I find this entire thread disingenuous considering some remarks made to critiques offered in other threads.  Apparently, popularity is important to some and only positive feedback is allowed.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, ValKalAstra said:

Yeh, to be fair - not even forums dedicated to professionals are immune to the drama (getting flashbacks to a writer's place I used to haunt *shudder*).

It's probably the case for most Internet forums, no matter the topic. People can be toxic, rude, and inconsiderate on forums for supposedly supportive pregnancy communities as well. 

... Don't ask me what I was doing there. My reasons were entirely horribl-- I mean, honourable. 

So. Spring in 3 days, huh? Got to love the whole .. Sun and .. Stuff. Retches.

Is there something about it that I like... then it gets a click.

I like images with good contrast. Images where the subject is clear and visible. Think automotive advertisement or National Geographic. But I will click images that are dark or a nice juicy color or pastel... maybe the avatar is just cute or sexy or there is a humorous aspect... or maybe the composition is just awesome. Lots of generous reasons to click LIKE.

Furies are not a favorite of mine. Kids... meh. Cute animals definitely get a click.

New people get at least an initial like and welcome.

Feedback... yeah this is touchy. Some people are ridiculously sensitive. Others can't deal with 'public' criticisms. For others it is water rolling off a ducks back. But I think the real tripwire for me is assuming I know something about what a photographer is trying to accomplish and their skill level. I think it is safer to wait until someone asks for feedback. Unless I see something that is consistently missing or weakening an image. Then I may stick my neck out and PM them.

Collecting... I suppose people can do things to get more clicks. But even those that pay no attention to clicks are going to get clicks. I think the clicks I have are less about me than about those that clicked.

Flickr... I've never thought of Flickr as a game... There I think of a 'Fav' as someone liking a particular image. A 'Follow' is more about someone liking a style. I think both are a much more narrow statements than the 'Likes' here.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1123 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.