can someone teach me to dj?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1132 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 3/7/2021 at 1:20 AM, rose9991sl said:

can someone pls teach me how to dj in second life?

DJing in SL is all about the way you present yourself.   You can't just play music.  Anyone can find a radio stream to do that. So you have to present yourself as a real DJ.  I do it without voice and I love doing it.  People seem to like my style.

Now the process:

1. You need something to broadcast to SL. Winamp is the easiest to use but many clubs require SAM, Virtual DJ, or Mixxx.  SAM and VDJ are pro models you have to purchase. Winamp and Mixxx  are free. Once you get the software I would practice setting up a playlist and presenting it. You can do that in RL without broadcasting to SL.  Many DJs use voice, so you need a way to broadcast voice too.  You can use voice in SL, but I think broadcasting through the software would be better.  I don't voice, so I'm not an expert on that.  Before you can broadcast to SL you have to setup the URL and password in your software.  More on that in the next item. Most are fairly simple, some are not. Mixxx was hard for me to find. 

2.  Go to SL and rent a stream. I use Streamhood because its 25L a week, works well and  well, I'm cheap. It says it's compatible to 128 but my music is all 192 and works fine. You can enter the stream as a url and again practice broadcasting. Make sure you keep a record of the information to input in your software

3. Collect an assload of music.  However you want to do it, but you'll need a lot.   A LOT. I have close to 70GB of music and I know some who have well over 100GB.

4. After you've kinda go used to handling the software, you'll need to secure a gig. There are many clubs looking for DJs.  Unfortunately there are too many clubs for the amount of DJs available.  Most new clubs don't have the traffic to make a lot of money. But they are places to practice your craft and pad a resume.

5. Voice.  This is a choice of your own. I don't for various reasons,  but that's me. Many bigger , more established clubs REQUIRE voice.  I think that's a mistake because there are some REALLY good DJs who do not voice.  There are a LOT of Djs who voice to the point they are a distraction. I go to clubs to listen to music, not hear someone drone on and on. Having a good speaking voice helps. 

6. Tidbits.

Do not DJ for less than 100% of tips. You're buying music and maybe software. 

Many clubs think you'll bring a crew of friends that will come to their club.  Maybe they will but probably they won't  People tend to go to clubs they like or where there are friends. They don't tend to go to a new club just because you're there.

Finding a good host or hostess can be a great help. Most good clubs will pair you with one.

Some clubs want you to be part of the "family". Meaning they want you to devote all your time to the club.  Sorry that's not my thing. I'm hired to do a job. DJ.  That's it.  If they want family, marry someone. 

Be yourself. Clubs may want you do things a certain way (sending notices, for example). If you have a style that works, calmly present your reasons.  If YOUR way brings in people to the club that's the best reason. 

Hope this helps.  They may be some that disagree with what I've said, but I think this a decent blueprint to get you started.   It based on reality, not some youtube video.   Oh, and there are people who claim to be able to teach you to DJ.   Don't waste the money.  You would be better off talking to someone who actually DJs in SL.    That's what I did.    

If you have questions, most Djs are willing to give you answers. If I'm online feel free to IM me.   I'm sure I missed something, but I think I covered a lot. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Doris Johnsky said:

I disagree. I've never DJed in RL yet I have people ask me if I do after hearing my set. 

so you say you don't do it in RL ... how on earth you get the sound in SL ? ...
DJ in RL doesn't mean you work in a club...

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 1

One thing to add to my long post about DJing.

Do you listen to the music in RL or through SL media stream?

Personally I listen in RL so I can cue songs as I need to.   I know people who do both.  It's a choice you'll need to make based on how you like doing it.     I did have an older DJ tell me that he always listened in RL.    I turn the SL music down, so it doesn't get weird.  There's often a lag between RL and SL sound.   I check each song when it starts in SL to make sure there's not a runaway song.  A runaway is music that comes out garbled. I've asked forever and no one can explain what causes it.  I usually call it squirrels having sex. 

7 hours ago, Doris Johnsky said:

I know people who do both. 
It's a choice you'll need to make based on how you like doing it.   
I turn the SL music down, so it doesn't get weird. 
There's often a lag between RL and SL sound. 
I check each song when it starts in SL to make sure there's not a runaway song. 
A runaway is music that comes out garbled. I've asked forever and no one can explain what causes it.  I usually call it squirrels having sex. 

doing both is a requirement, you nééd to know what happens with the stream.
It's not weird, it's the same thing with rl dj, who use monitor speakers in the booth and headphones.
There is no lag between rl and the stream, it is latency. Lag would make the sounds deformed.
Your library should be in good order and quality before you start.
Disforming music mostly is caused by problems on the stream( connection), or malfunctioning equipment.
Many people think ..oh that is all free ..equipment, programs and music. Thats fun for the bedroom, but if dj's want qualitiy it needs investment and more skill than just turn on a song.

6 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

but if dj's want qualitiy it needs investment and more skill than just turn on a song.

I open Spotify. I double-click an Ost+Front album. I turn up the volume. Roomie bangs on the wall and screams at me. I air drum. Easy peasy! 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

doing both is a requirement, you nééd to know what happens with the stream.
It's not weird, it's the same thing with rl dj, who use monitor speakers in the booth and headphones.
There is no lag between rl and the stream, it is latency. Lag would make the sounds deformed.
Your library should be in good order and quality before you start.
Disforming music mostly is caused by problems on the stream( connection), or malfunctioning equipment.
Many people think ..oh that is all free ..equipment, programs and music. Thats fun for the bedroom, but if dj's want qualitiy it needs investment and more skill than just turn on a song.

Thanks for the latency answer. We've all called it lag because sometimes the difference in RL and SL sound source can be a minute or more.    So lag COULD make a song sound garbled?  If so why not all songs, not just one?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1132 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.