I sometimes use intentionally "ugly" avatars in Second Life.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1107 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Not sure if bordering on caricature, but I intentionally made my avatar obese because I am roleplaying “that fat Korean girl.” Think of my avatar like Gwyneth Paltrow in Shallow Hal but Korean-American. Now I was not joking when I told the last guy I dated that I could swallow him whole and still have room for fries. Burp!

21-03-09-20-33-27-249_deco.thumb.jpg.542f7745748ba4a641fcb0fc856e22d3.jpg

On a less self-deprecating note, my SL became more interesting and enjoyable when I purposefully deviated from what was considered conventionally beautiful in the pixel universe. Besides, I am a hot supermodel in real life so I must hide who I am in this fat suit!

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

I can't speak for Rolig or the other girls, but I was not personally offended or hurt by what Doc said, but thought it showed a real lack of self awareness of what this thread was supposed to be about. Gopi asked us to talk about our nontraditional, "ugly" avatars, and why we used them.  Reading over the other responses myself, those that participated were lightheartedly sharing their avatars with the rest of us. These avatars have an interesting side effect of allowing us to actually play, be creative, and step outside of our own real egos.  So if I seemed irked it was because he was disturbing the flow of the conversation by interjecting his opinions on the physical appearance of these avatars, and it didn't feel appropriate to me. Later it got more cringey when he insisted on dehumanizing us all as computer graphics. It's the only way he could justify his poor behavior. 

ANYWAYS. I hope this doesn't deter people from sharing their pictures and their own stories. It is fun to see them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Laurel Aurelia said:

Later it got more cringey when he insisted on dehumanizing us all as computer graphics. It's the only way he could justify his poor behavior. 

Let me remind you. It wasn't me who presented humans as dehumanizing graphics. It were the owners of the graphic themselves. The owner of the second avatar even said she wouldn't probably friend with someone who is not willing to accept her as frog. Did you miss all that to read? And who is "all of us". The discussion is about this 2 pictures. You seem to be confused. I hope that your are ok? Serious, I might be rude, arrogant and whatever you want, but I still can make a distinction between humans and computer graphics. If anyone sees humans on the pictures and wants me to share this sight, well, then good luck.

C'mon some of you guys are only bashing me in hope to collect likes. Would be interesting to know how many likes I produced in this tread with my replies. 😛

1f818e738e54c493c00e671ad4477617.jpg

b1269f989b095b2bc440079e3c6cc658.jpg

Edited by Doc Carling

@Doc CarlingThere's no point debating whether or not those avs represent humans. You clearly don't think so and it's fine. It's a matter of perspective. For me, I have met people who are disfigured by birth or from a tragic accident and personally I wouldn't make such a blunt comment about appearance like that. That's just me.

But even talking just about computer graphics, it's still kind of a mean thing to say. I wouldn't go up to someone and tell them their av looks rubbish. Even if they look nothing like that irl, it's still not nice. They might have worked hard on their av or it's their way of expressing themselves, their way of enjoying sl and someone just makes a judgemental comment like that. This is, after all, a thread to post "ugly" avatars, not to criticize or judge them.

That's just my perspective though. You don't have to agree.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, AdminGirl said:

That's just my perspective though. You don't have to agree.

I have no problem with your reply. It is rather neutral and objective and tells your opinion. That's not the usual tone in the Community. If you read other threads also you notice that discussions even about simple matters turn very fast into dramas and attacks under the beltline. I wonder why that is? Anyway, I know I should be smarter and not take part on such dramas. lol But sometimes I cannot resist.

Edited by Doc Carling
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Some people are just more likeable than others.  😁

200.gif

As far as 'ugly' avatars go, nah, I wouldn't call it that - but I did sport a rather impressive pot belly for a while back in the day. 

• Haha 3

I don't actually normally post a ton, maybe every couple days , and usually not in this section. So thanks for helping me work on my post count a bit ;). When I do post, I try to be thoughtful and constructive. If people like that then great, but I don't think too much about it. I do personally like things when I agree with them or like them, but no ulterior motives. You'll believe what you want regardless so it's really neither here nor there in the end. 

But this is all a bit counter productive so I will move on to other topics, and stop contributing to the negativity. I hope perhaps you consider doing the same.

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

Like this?

Yes! Which reminds me, people always comment about me being 'too pale' or that I should 'get a tan'. 

... Some of them freak out when I point out that it'd be silly to have a tanned vampire. 

"You're a vampire?!"

It's like-- Apparently not on the front page of my profile anymore. Huh. Goes to put that bit back in. Still, it's pretty obvious, isn't it?

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Yes! Which reminds me, people always comment about me being 'too pale' or that I should 'get a tan'. 

I got the same as I have mostly been Albino in my SL and one guy even said I should be his gf and he'd buy me a new dark skin and that I should always wear high heels.  I blocked the guy.  I still am mostly Albino.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 6

It is easy to see what is a new avatar struggling with the look, and what is a seasoned avatar making an ugly avatar on purpose. Last I saw one it was in Glam Affair, interacting with people and asking so called innocent/naive questions.

All they want is to get somebody to react with ugly remarks, or praise them for their different avatar. In a world where you can look as you wish, ugly avatars is more likely to get a response than pretty ones.

And don't say breast size or height determine what's ugly. Purposefully ugly avatars is not about cup size. It goes way beyond that.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, YuriaVodka said:

Not sure if bordering on caricature, but I intentionally made my avatar obese because I am roleplaying “that fat Korean girl.” Think of my avatar like Gwyneth Paltrow in Shallow Hal but Korean-American. Now I was not joking when I told the last guy I dated that I could swallow him whole and still have room for fries. Burp!

21-03-09-20-33-27-249_deco.thumb.jpg.542f7745748ba4a641fcb0fc856e22d3.jpg

On a less self-deprecating note, my SL became more interesting and enjoyable when I purposefully deviated from what was considered conventionally beautiful in the pixel universe. Besides, I am a hot supermodel in real life so I must hide who I am in this fat suit!

That is not an ugly avatar. It is well put together, with a plus size model look. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

About people reacting to avatars falling outside their usual aesthetic, I remembered a few times Greg got comments on his looks. Most common one was "holy sh!t you're tall!"  People would slide up to him and sneak snapshots. Yeah, whatever.

The craziest comment came from this one guy... he told Greg that he would like to see him in a female body so he could make babies with him. BRUH, WUT.

Edited by Eddy Vortex
  • Haha 3

On 3/7/2021 at 4:52 PM, Rolig Loon said:

My "good old days" are a little older than yours, so don't bother playing the age card.  I know what I looked like during my first weeks in SL.  It wasn't pretty.

9b9a9d2f59159d68fed738ec976e84d0.png

I don't remember thinking of myself as especially ugly, though.  After all, most of the people I met looked sort of like me. As you say, we looked as good as we could.  I suspect that the difference between you and me is that I didn't feel "forced" to accept what I looked like. I played with sliders for a while but didn't do anything serious about making a "pretty" shape for over a year. Since then, I have modified my shape and changed favorite skins many times but I do it because I'm curious what I would look like with a bigger nose or longer legs.  I'm still me.  Recently, just for the heck of it, I used one of those free AI-controlled programs on line to work backwards from my current av's appearance and try to create a more "human" image of what my av would look like if I met her in RL. Here she is:

167ab99bf075c62ac354c60388312844.png

In RL, I'm another 40 or 50 years older than this image, but she looks like someone my inner self could be.  (Just nothing like what I really look like in the mirror in RL.)  As far as I am concerned, all of the images of my avatar from the early 2007 image above to this reconstructed version are reflections of who I feel I am inside.  Some of us are pretty; some aren't.  They're all me, though, and I'm happy with them.

Cool!  Do you have a url for this tool?

I think that making avs "outside the box" are fun! I often do it, then I try to strike up conversations with people and love the reactions. I love learning about how people react to different things. Sometimes, I may have an atrocious look, then I will say hi to several men in IM. Most ignore me. Then about 10 minutes later, I change back to my normal self.. and THEN they start replying LOL... and what do you think I do to their replies? X out. :)

Most men are very visual and will ignore or vent about women/avs who are not up to their expectations. That is OK. However, you better look in the mirror and look just as good as what you expect a woman/av to look like. Goes both ways!

It is OK to have an opinion but don't be a hypocrite :)

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1107 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.