I sometimes use intentionally "ugly" avatars in Second Life.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1103 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 minutes ago, Laurel Aurelia said:

I think if someone is so shallow to snub me because I am dressed silly

Though to be dressed silly or to look like a failed genetic experiment is a very difference.

Edited by Doc Carling

6 minutes ago, Laurel Aurelia said:

I have two questions.  Why do you care about how others choose to present themselves? Why do you think I should care? Not being facetious. 

Because with are social beeings, live in societies and to look at each other is part of our human nature? 🙂 As for your second question. I don't expect that you care. Of course you can walk around as what you want, but don't expect only applause.

Edited by Doc Carling

25 minutes ago, Doc Carling said:

Because with are social beeings, live in societies and to look at each other is part of our human nature?

I can understand that if you are talking about getting involved with someone (most of us do take looks into consideration when we are looking for a partner), but the folks above were just talking about chatting with each other, being friends.

Do you not even allow yourself to be friends with someone that isn't aesthetically pleasing to your eye?

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Doc Carling said:

Though to be dressed silly or to look like a failed genetic experiment is a very difference.

Omg, we rez naked, with our heads and breastplates and arms and legs flying everywhere.  That is beyond silly.  Just the other day I was out  and about and body parts were flying everywhere and this detached hairless head comes straight at me and I ducked in real life away from my computer screen.  Then more hairless heads were flying all about.   It was terrible.  We see each other at our worst that way and come to accept it.

People that hang with tinies can be whatever avatar they want to be and believe it or not we have the same fun as most events.  The live music and chat was pretty good.  

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Do you not even allow yourself to be friends with someone that isn't aesthetically pleasing to your eye?

You expect that I accept frogs as my friends. And call me a kind of looner, when I say no thanks? Again, it is a very difference, if one looks wired because of technical issues. Or if he/she chooses a look voluntary and with intent. In general nobody has a right to tell me what I have to think about a look. You can call me rude, arrogant or intolerant, when I say it loud. That's ok. I'm aware that I risk to get such reaction. 🙂

Edited by Doc Carling

11 minutes ago, Doc Carling said:

Because with are social beeings, live in societies and to look at each other is part of our human nature? 🙂

Let me see if I follow. By having  an avatar that is not pleasing to you, I am violating social mores? I suppose in some ways I am flaunting "the rules", but honestly that is the fun of it. I'm an irreverent person with a particular sense of humor. And you do have a right to your opinion . I just think your opinion says more about you than it does about me. ;)

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

Some of my avatars that are not conventionally visually pleasing are my obese human male, my grey alien (which is my main account), and my fishman monster (sahagin.)

I usually do this to see how people react. I usually get a positive (or a joking one at least) reaction and I think that's great. However, I think there's a few psychological reasons why I do this. I think it's partly to rebel against the idea that you have to use visually pleasing avatars in Second Life - which almost everyone else does. I guess it also offers a nice change of pace from the "pretty woman" avis I also use often.

Curious what your thoughts are on this.

P.S. Don't worry, I know I usually don't respond with a post (as referenced by a reply in my last topic) but I'll make sure to offer a smiley reaction and I will try to type a reply to you this time.

i will say, aside from the talking in this thread, it is interesting to see how people react based on avatars you have. 

8 minutes ago, Laurel Aurelia said:

I just think your opinion says more about you than it does about me

That gets us to nowhere. While I try to explain my comments in a neutral and objective form you continue to attack me on a personal level. When  you re-read my replies you notice that I'm not critisizing the persons which use those avatars. I'm critisizing the look only.

Please, let's stop here. :)

Edited by Doc Carling

33 minutes ago, Doc Carling said:

You expect that I accept frogs as my friends. And call me a kind of looner, when I say no thanks? Again, it is a very difference, if one looks wired because of technical issues. Or if he/she chooses a look voluntary and with intent. In general nobody has a right to tell me what I have to think about a look. You can call me rude, arrogant or intolerant, when I say it loud. That's ok. I'm aware that I risk to get such reaction. 🙂

You know, I thought you were holding that white rabbit avatar in your photo here on SL so I then was wondering why you wouldn't like to be friends with a frog if you are holding a white rabbit but then it looks like the white rabbit is just in your photo in front of you.  I'm friends with all kinds of avi's but then I'm not looking for a partner and not even a date so I guess I'm different than you but still chatting is chatting, you might get something out of it or just to share some jokes.   I also feel I am making robots in SL but you can always talk to me as me, and me is just a person who likes to make robots.  I saw this creepy doll on MP yesterday and thought I'd love that as an avatar but when I read the description it wasn't an avatar, just a prop.  When I first thought it was an avatar and I'd love to buy it and wear it, I did wonder how people might think of it to be honest, but if I like an odd avatar, there are places where the odd avatars in SL can go and those events revolve around the music and chatting and possibly talking about music too and then we go home and then often meet again and do it all over again and it's fun.  But, you want everyone to be a potential love interest?  Hmmmmmmm, that's a lot of love interests, imo.  But, you do, of course, have a right to live your SL as you choose. 

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

Sometimes you can't revisit the past.

I tried to resurrect one of my first favorite avatars, a dog, but Second Life wouldn't cooperate. Sure, he was not a stable avatar, as he tended to morph towards the human when under stress, but...well "on the internet"...you know.

Then I had a period when I tried to find an avatar that resembled my 'real' appearance, but someone else was already using the "100-year-old Grandma" one.

These days I change my shape and appearance depending on my mood and the situation - but I wish I could put my old dog back together again. Any suggestions?

myolddog.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Doc Carling said:

to express an inner self with an Avatar is a little bit to much for me. I was part of the so called good old days in SL. The avatars looked as good as they could depending on the limited technical options. One was forced to accept this.

My "good old days" are a little older than yours, so don't bother playing the age card.  I know what I looked like during my first weeks in SL.  It wasn't pretty.

9b9a9d2f59159d68fed738ec976e84d0.png

I don't remember thinking of myself as especially ugly, though.  After all, most of the people I met looked sort of like me. As you say, we looked as good as we could.  I suspect that the difference between you and me is that I didn't feel "forced" to accept what I looked like. I played with sliders for a while but didn't do anything serious about making a "pretty" shape for over a year. Since then, I have modified my shape and changed favorite skins many times but I do it because I'm curious what I would look like with a bigger nose or longer legs.  I'm still me.  Recently, just for the heck of it, I used one of those free AI-controlled programs on line to work backwards from my current av's appearance and try to create a more "human" image of what my av would look like if I met her in RL. Here she is:

167ab99bf075c62ac354c60388312844.png

In RL, I'm another 40 or 50 years older than this image, but she looks like someone my inner self could be.  (Just nothing like what I really look like in the mirror in RL.)  As far as I am concerned, all of the images of my avatar from the early 2007 image above to this reconstructed version are reflections of who I feel I am inside.  Some of us are pretty; some aren't.  They're all me, though, and I'm happy with them.

• Like 10

22 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

You know, I thought you were holding that white rabbit avatar in your photo here on SL so

I admit the white rabbit is just for show to catch attention. It's a dummy no avatar. :) Apart from that like you I'm friend with all kinds of avatars. To respect other residents looks as is is an imporantant element of my photographer job. But to respect it doesn't mean I have to like it.  Anyway, I use to shut up and to keep my opinion by myself. But I think the pictures which we are talking about from a neutral standpoint they are  extreme. Oh, I still wonder what people might think about what I wear. I'm so vain. Please don't tell it anyone.

Edited by Doc Carling

Just now, Doc Carling said:

That gets us to nowhere. While I try to explain my comment in a neutral and object form you continue to attack me on a personal level. Let's stop here. :)

That is the thing about expressing opinions on the internet, Doc. You must be prepared for people to disagree with you. I am sorry you took it personally. It's not personal, I don't know you in any other way than your posts on this very forum. Generally speaking though, I think people's opinions say more about them then it does about the other person. Feel free to disagree or read into it the way you want.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

My "good old days" are a little older than yours, so don't bother playing the age card.

I just mentioned it as simple information. In those days I used the same skins and clothes like all of us. And in no way I considered myself as ugly. But I don't regret bygone times. Well, if the second pictures mirrors your inner self in rl, you must be a very attractive lady. (If you allow me to say).

Edited by Doc Carling

12 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Recently, just for the heck of it, I used one of those free AI-controlled programs on line to work backwards from my current av's appearance and try to create a more "human" image of what my av would look like if I met her in RL

Do you have a link, please? I was looking for something like that a while ago but couldn't find any good free ones. 

7 minutes ago, Laurel Aurelia said:

I am sorry you took it personally.

No problem. :) Let me repeat. My comments are about pc generated graphics built under technical limitatons. And not about the persons which use these avatars

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1103 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.