I sometimes use intentionally "ugly" avatars in Second Life.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1100 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Some of my avatars that are not conventionally visually pleasing are my obese human male, my grey alien (which is my main account), and my fishman monster (sahagin.)

I usually do this to see how people react. I usually get a positive (or a joking one at least) reaction and I think that's great. However, I think there's a few psychological reasons why I do this. I think it's partly to rebel against the idea that you have to use visually pleasing avatars in Second Life - which almost everyone else does. I guess it also offers a nice change of pace from the "pretty woman" avis I also use often.

Curious what your thoughts are on this.

P.S. Don't worry, I know I usually don't respond with a post (as referenced by a reply in my last topic) but I'll make sure to offer a smiley reaction and I will try to type a reply to you this time.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I wrote about this once.

Well, technically, my alt Laskya wrote about it. And it was part of a larger discussion about appearance in SL. But here is the relevant excerpt from the blog post. (Note on context: this dates from early 2014, when fitted mesh was still largely on the horizon).

[M]y own approach to my avatar’s appearance highlights the importance of choice, but also its limitations. My choice is limited because I don’t determine what is read as “sexy” or “ugly” or attractive: the cultural context does that. If I wish to communicate “sexiness,” I’d have to conform, to a great degree, to the way that this is defined in Second Life. And my choice is also limited by the “material” and “physical” assumptions of the technology. (Interestingly, while I know that many anxiously await the introduction of fitted mesh so that they can better accommodate large prim breasts, I myself am looking forward to being able to reduce mine somewhat, so that my boobs are no longer swimming around inside of my mesh tops like killer whales in a petting tank.)

A key point, however, is that my modifications to my avatar are a conscious choice, a decision to conform less to Second Life than to real life conventions regarding attractiveness and sexuality. I am aware of this, and understand the problematic nature of that choice, but it remains what I want. I’m not sure I can even articulate a good reason for this choice, but I am reasonably sure that it is not “ideological”: I don’t think I am consciously protesting against the perpetuation, and exaggeration, of gendered stereotypes in Second Life. Nor am I an “augmentationist,” who wants Second Life to resemble as closely as possible RL.

Both of these appear to be the motivation behind a Second Life group that calls itself “Ugly Avatars”:

Ugly Avatars — this is a group for those guys who have chosen not to look like an 8 foot tall mountain of muscle, or for those women that don’t inflate their breasts to epic sizes.

You don’t necessarily have to be ugly to join this group, this is moreso a group for those people who have created an avatar for themselves that is unique, that doesn’t necessarily fit into any of the SL cliches.

It would be interesting (although I have neither the time nor inclination) to determine the reasons why the individuals belonging to a group such as this might make the conscious choice to employ “ugly” avatars. Are they Augmentationist Extremists? Are they protesting against gendered sexual stereotypes? Do they find “ugly” avatars amusing? All that I can say for certain is that looking unattractive, by RL standards, in Second Life requires effort and work. Like those who labour at communicating “sexiness,” ugly and aged avatars must work hard at achieving Greatness in aesthetic failure. And I think it is probably also true that “ugliness” in Second Life is most often also “hyperreal”: it is more ugly, and more self-consciously self-referential, than RL ugliness, an effect that it achieves through something like parody, grotesqueness, and the wearing of really crappy SL merchandise.

• Like 3

I don't put too deep of thought into it really..

For me it's just a piece of clay that I toy with and tweak and move around with..

I enjoy making different shapes and changes to see how they turn out.. what anyone else thinks about what I bring to the shopping event or where ever I go, doesn't really matter to me, unless I'm somehow breaking their sim rules with being too short or not in theme or whatever it may be..

I'm not here all this time because of my avatar.. I'm here all this  time because of the world..

Someone being just a blob of clay or a runway model never really stopped me from chatting with someone or putting someone on my friends list..

For me avatars are just a book cover.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jordan Whitt said:

Back in 2009, my then bestie and I used to rock the "curvier" shape, tight latex and tiaras when we would hit the clubs!  In fact, we rocked that look most of the time, cos it was just fun!!

You were not ugly, just early fashonistas. Big lips, big hips, big boobs, and also now the demand for "chubby" skins and soft bellies. ;) Sounds just like 2021.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

If you hung around with builders and scripters, it was hard to find anyone who DID look 'normal' xD I was taught random change scripts by someone with a TV set for a head, and one of the best builders I remember was a zombie Statue of Liberty.

Not 'ugly' but unconventional: I've also been SL clubbing as a little old lady and gone to punk and goth clubs in a bling tiara and ballgown (from Freebie Galaxy, lol). 

Have had some mean comments about my avatar though - "good name, you look like a Rat" was one! And when I was into neko fashion, I was in a club and somebody typed "I'd hate to be one of those idiots with a tail hanging out of their butt" >:(

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Doc Carling said:
10 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Sometimes you just need to let your inner self glow.

I guess you are kidding? This look is a nightmare. 

No, but I am smiling. My RL appearance has changed enough over the years that I have quit worrying about whether I look like a slim, athletic twenty-something (not that I ever really did).  My normal appearance in SL is indeed more like a 35-year-old version of myself or at least what I wished I looked like when I was 35.  I know who I am inside, though, and that doesn't have to match the outside in either RL or SL. So no, I was not kidding. I like my inner self and I hope that shows, regardless of what appears in a mirror or a photo. And I smile.

• Like 11

I also have a ridiculous looking avatar that is probably my oldest outfit that I still use on semi regular basis . She was born a giant frog avatar with the prim  parts removed and human skin added. She's very much a departure to how I  normally look , but she speaks to my inner weirdness. It's interesting to see how people react to her should I take her into public. If you can't hang with Beula (that's her name) it indicates to me that we might not mesh well in general. I don't take myself too seriously here, I got a whole real life for that. 

b1269f989b095b2bc440079e3c6cc658.jpg

She's almost 8ft tall, and still has her frog feet. Her side profile is something to behold.  She's obviously not a pretty avatar in any sort of traditional sense, but she's fun, bold, and outgoing. I am way more reserved in my normal form. 

Edited by Laurel Aurelia
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

I made a grotesque av years ago. Put some ugly freebie silks on it and went around Gor submitting to everyone and begging for sexual release. The Masters hated it and got very cross, which was good. To my chagrin, however, the slaves thought it was hilarious and asked me to go back. Dammit. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

Some of my avatars that are not conventionally visually pleasing are my obese human male, my grey alien (which is my main account), and my fishman monster (sahagin.)

I usually do this to see how people react. 

That's how it is in Dinkie/Tinyland as all avi's are welcome not just tiny ones...it could be aliens or ____________ fill in the blank, but it also reminds me of the good old days of SL, a long time ago, when one could go to most any non-private club and see all kinds of fantastical avatars somewhat like the bar scene in Star Wars.   I'm not saying they were "ugly" per se, but they weren't created to be a fashion-plate ideal for a mate adventure is what I'm saying.  Tinyland in SL is more like the good old days...be whatever you want as long as dressed mostly.   To which most of us say, "hurray!"  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

My RL appearance has changed enough over the years that I have quit worrying about whether I look like a slim, athletic twenty-something (not that I ever really did).

I'm not commenting real life looks. I have no right to do that. And nobody is perfect. Neither I. :) But I apologize, to express an inner self with an Avatar is a little bit to much for me. I was part of the so called good old days in SL. The avatars looked as good as they could depending on the limited technical options. One was forced to accept this. That's different in times of mesh. It is hard for me to imagine that someone can enjoy to look like on your picture.  Because something is sure, the most people react with an OMG on it. Even when they aren't honest to say it loud like I do.

Edited by Doc Carling

6 hours ago, Laurel Aurelia said:

If you can't hang with Beula (that's her name) it indicates to me that we might not mesh well in general.

That makes me curious. So you say, if you enjoy someones company or not is depending on that he likes you as a froggish looking oversized avatar with pencil legs and wired green feet as well? I mean think a minute about that. How sounds that?

Not hanging or talking with someone is SL because of how.they look is even more ridiculous than not doing so in RL.for.the same reason.

Ya know, the more posts you make, the clearer the picture of YOU becomes.  It ain't pretty.

• Like 6

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1100 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.