Congratulations Chloe Dolores, Chic Aeon and Prokofy Neva!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1131 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

One other name sound familiar to me but not sure why. I got my FIRST choice (my second choice was the same house across the street LOL) so very happy.   We have more land impact than was listed so it should be very easy even with this giant house.  The house itself is quite beautiful and except for some shutters with horrid LODS and an iffy towel  (which I might artily add to) all is good.   There is no yard so trees grass not needed.   Looking forward to it.  

And to @Profaitchikenz Haiku  I will do my best to at least have FooD and DRINKS out.    So sorry LittleMe didn't have a lucky draw -- and you to Marianne if you signed up.   Have no idea how many people sent in notecards for the drawing but there is always next year. 

Should be great fun.   

• Like 1

I have been in this contest for the last 3 years. I got my 3rd choice this year. I did a Tiny house last year and it was really hard if fun -- so I chose Biggie houses this year along with Tiny but didn't get them. I have an extra challenge because I have a Tiny house that is modern, and not Victorian, which is more the setting for a Dinkie.

The two years before that I did big houses, one was like one I am used to in my rentals which I personally prefer, the other was not although exotic and I had furniture for it.

I have only come in 3rd place once and didn't win, place or show the other times although last year I think I got "honourable mention" for "stories".

But it's really fun to do and see what other people come up with. The purpose is to raise money for the RFL cause.

I think we only have 350 prims limit this year which is killer. I believe they had 400 before? Then they mercifully changed to 500? But I think they have to stick to 350 this year. I got a chance to do a Tiny house, and I'm at least part time a Dinkie, but in my experience, Dinkies don't use less prims and their furniture isn't less prims, either, the little rascals!

What are Triffids? The things in Star Wars in an episode called "The Trouble with Triffids?" Like fluffy and get all over the place?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

What are Triffids? The things in Star Wars in an episode called "The Trouble with Triffids?" Like fluffy and get all over the place?

They were seeded onto earth by a passing comet, communicate with each other by drumming, and came to earth to teach vegetable-eaters a dam good lesson :)

An excellent subject for a bit of animesh, I would have thought.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

One other name sound familiar to me but not sure why. I got my FIRST choice (my second choice was the same house across the street LOL) so very happy.   We have more land impact than was listed so it should be very easy even with this giant house.  The house itself is quite beautiful and except for some shutters with horrid LODS and an iffy towel  (which I might artily add to) all is good.   There is no yard so trees grass not needed.   Looking forward to it.  

And to @Profaitchikenz Haiku  I will do my best to at least have FooD and DRINKS out.    So sorry LittleMe didn't have a lucky draw -- and you to Marianne if you signed up.   Have no idea how many people sent in notecards for the drawing but there is always next year. 

Should be great fun.   

I'm on a reserve list, it will be a lot of work if they offer me a house in two days, lol.

Maybe one finalist does not show up, but I believe they will wait a couple of days, to see if they are just slow to start.

I was said to be 350 Li, same as we have in Bellisseria. It's not more than that?

Some houses had kitchens ready, one house even a breakfast bar. That is a benefit.

Just out of interest, how does the winner get chosen?

I ask because, back in the day, I was asked to furnish a place in a contest. I didn't want to but I allowed myself to be persuaded. Visitors would vote for houses with what they thought was the best furnished. It was only after the contest started that I discovered that people had to pay to vote. I wasn't told in advance. It was nothing but a free money-making thing - you put you stuff there and we'll make money off it. You won't get any of it, of course. I was fuming and I was about to remove my stuff but, again, I allowed myself to be persuaded. It left a very bad taste though.

Edited by Phil Deakins

4 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I'm on a reserve list, it will be a lot of work if they offer me a house in two days, lol.

Maybe one finalist does not show up, but I believe they will wait a couple of days, to see if they are just slow to start.

I was said to be 350 Li, same as we have in Bellisseria. It's not more than that?

Some houses had kitchens ready, one house even a breakfast bar. That is a benefit.

They changed things to 400.  And you would have from March 9th (if someone doesn't show up) to March 12 according to the note we got  so three days.  

You also need to use three RELAY FOR LIFE items from the event, so you could pick those out early if you haven't already.  I did that long ago and made landmarks to the stores.   That would save you some time. Also  someone may have had circumstances change and may not be able to style the house now. So that would be earlier to get in.  I am sure though you could do it in three days.  Many of the houses are very  "vanilla" in that they could take basic contemporary stylings -- so not particularly difficult.   

Good luck getting in!    

3 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

Just out of interest, how does the winner get chosen?

I ask because, back in the day, I was asked to furnish a place in a contest. I didn't want to but I allowed myself to be persuaded. Visitors would vote for houses with what they thought was the best furnished. It was only after the contest started that I discovered that people had to pay to vote. [...]

Well, yeah, this is RFL so it's kinda the point:

People will vote for the final winner by donating to a kiosk set outside each of the houses. Each Linden donated to Relay for Life in these kiosks will count as a vote.

I wonder if the Forum regulars could devise something similar to plug into one of the RFL events. I don't know what I mean by that, but if there's unmet demand to participate in this home decorating contest, once we've all donated to this batch of worthies, what might we come up with to involve others and generate more L$-fueled competition to benefit RFL?

8 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

I wonder if the Forum regulars could devise something similar to plug into one of the RFL events. I don't know what I mean by that, but if there's unmet demand to participate in this home decorating contest, once we've all donated to this batch of worthies, what might we come up with to involve others and generate more L$-fueled competition to benefit RFL?

Does the Hangout still exist? If it does, maybe something could be organised there.

1 hour ago, Phil Deakins said:

Does the Hangout still exist? If it does, maybe something could be organised there.

It's still there, and that's a good idea. The trick is finding a successful fundraising scheme.

The idea of pay-to-vote on a contest seems pretty solid. Basic contests have long been common club "games" ("Best in Black" or whatever). Avatar-dressing contests work because it's a fundamental activity in the "playing with dolls" part of SL, and I guess the home decorating contest works because it similarly recapitulates an SL essential, call it the "doll house" part.

The avatar-dressing contests also appeal to socializing because the voting all takes place while everybody is present, but of course that's the point of a club. Unless a social gathering is part of the objective, requiring simultaneity would be a big disadvantage, given varied schedules and timezones, something the home decorating contest gets right.

I don't have any good ideas, I'm just trying to plumb the void from which somebody's good ideas might emerge.

4 hours ago, manoji Yachvili said:

Interesting, is possible see the houses furnished? there is a lm?
an other one stupid question.. how works? how you can participate?

I ask for next year, thanks 😊

I don't remember which region the homes are on - one of the HOPE regions or maybe one of the 'American Cancer Society' regions - but you will be able to see them after they are done decorating. They will be open to public viewing and for voting from March 13 thru 17.  Keep an eye on this page - it should give the link for viewing towards the end of this week:  https://slhomeandgardenexpo.wordpress.com/decorating-contest/

As to how they signed up, I've not a clue - someone else will need to answer that part.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I don't remember which region the homes are on - one of the HOPE regions or maybe one of the 'American Cancer Society' regions - but you will be able to see them after they are done decorating. They will be open to public viewing and for voting from March 13 thru 17.  Keep an eye on this page - it should give the link for viewing towards the end of this week:  https://slhomeandgardenexpo.wordpress.com/decorating-contest/

As to how they signed up, I've not a clue - someone else will need to answer that part.

Houses are on Hope 3.  Sign up was announced about a week ago various places including a link to an official blog post from Berry copied here on the forums. There were also signs for sign up if you visited the homes after the event opened.   You could either fill out a notecard and put it in the mailbox OR do a Google Doc form.  You could list your three favorite houses and say if you were willing to decorate another one if yours were taken by someone else (presumably earlier in the drawing process but I don't KNOW that :D.   Then there was a random drawing from the participants.  

Meanwhile  I have been working seven hours and about ready to quit for the day. 251 li used with only a few items linked together so lots of available LI left.  About two thirds done I think. Art studio and BIG living room left to do.  Not sure what is going to happen in that living room but everything else is going well.     

The hardest thing has been finding specific things I am looking for.  In my frustration I found out that inventory search is NOT WORKING.  That is you can type in the exact name of the item with ALL TYPES active so in theory it is checking your whole inventory  and it doesn't come up in the search result ---- but if you look in the folder where it should be (like "food") it really IS THERE.  My inventory is only 50,000 ish so not a huge one.  Very frustrating but better than not having the goods. Typing in a search term like "bread" doesn't turn up all the items with "bread" in their titles.    Happily I keep backups of most every styling and if THOSE haven't gone astray I can rez the whole thing on a sandbox and pick up the items from there.  

5 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

With nine hours in and only 24 land impact points left to spend on final touches, I am taking the day away. Two houses are yet unclaimed and some are well underway.   

547202702_homeexpostling.thumb.jpg.77972ec6d4f039a454989b0a1ad02a43.jpg

the house is magnificent.. I'm curious to see your work and also what Littleme Jewell and Prokofy Neva have done :)
good luck to everyone

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, manoji Yachvili said:

the house is magnificent.. I'm curious to see your work and also what Littleme Jewell and Prokofy Neva have done :)
good luck to everyone

Not me - I opted not to attempt any decorating.  I don't do well on a time limit.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Not me - I opted not to attempt any decorating.  I don't do well on a time limit.  

That idea was probably from MY post a few days ago. I think what probably happened is that someone that had signed up (this before the drawing) was writing back to YOU and I just mixed that up in my head. Don't care enough to go back and look, but that is the most likely scenario :D.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1131 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.