New PC for second life - will this be great?

uk89201

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 935 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 hours ago, Drayke Newall said:

Buy MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming X 12GB [RTX-3060-GAMING-X-12G] | PC Case Gear Australia

No idea if that is cheap in the USA ($652 USD) but in Australia with the great Australia Tax rort its regular price over here. Thats the higher end card as well cheaper ones are out of stock.

As for pricing : NVidia intended this card to be in the 350 USD range.

Edited by TDD123

10 hours ago, TDD123 said:

As for pricing : NVidia intended this card to be in the 350 USD range.

I agree with the video and never buy these lower end cards. That said as far as price goes, as I mentioned in Australia the price listed is the standard price here. This is because of not only exchange rates but also what Australians call Australia Tax, which is where an overseas company just ups the price because they can. When our dollar was at parity with the USA some things people over here would buy in the USA, take a holiday over there to pick it up and then bring it back and it still worked out cheaper.

The more powerful the equipment the higher the power bill. That's to consider also.  An high end pc or graphic card consumes much more energy than an average system. I just learned that after I updated mine.

Edited by Doc Carling

• 6 months later...

I too am building a PC for second life use and here is what I am using:

Motherboard - Asus TUF Gaming x570 Pro 

Processor - AMD Ryzen 5 5600x

Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury Renegade 3200MHZ DDR4 CL 15 DIMM (2- 8GB Stix to give me 16GB total)

Graphics Card - Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 

Monitor - Asus TUF Gaming VG259Q 24.5" 1080p 240 HZ

Not sure if this helps but hopefully this set up will run Second life smoother than my current set up.

Edited by EmilyAdair
Forgot to mention not running any other applications with this set up it is just for SL use, I have another PC I can use for youtube and google and things. This is just strictly to run SL :)

I would use a bigger power supply, cut the RAM to 32 GB, and use a CPU with fewer cores (SL is not multithreaded). Unless I really needed the storage for something else, I'd also save some money on the SSDs. One or two 1 TB NVMe drives should be way more than SL needs. Then I'd spend my savings on a better graphics card.

That said, my current system has 128 GB RAM, a 16 core processor, 2TB of NVMe SSDs, 16 TB of hard drives set up in RAID 10 for a usable 8 TB, and a Radeon 6900XT GPU. Partly that's because I use it for photo and video editing and 3D animation, and partly because the top end components were what were available at the time. I think the cost came in at under $3500 USD, so if you're paying that many pounds sterling, you're getting fleeced. On the other hand, I didn't have to pay for any labor for building it.  Not in money, anyway. (Thanks, sweetie!)

2 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I would use a bigger power supply, cut the RAM to 32 GB, and use a CPU with fewer cores (SL is not multithreaded). Unless I really needed the storage for something else, I'd also save some money on the SSDs. One or two 1 TB NVMe drives should be way more than SL needs. Then I'd spend my savings on a better graphics card.

I hope the OP of this thread did get their machine after all, but the thread revivel pst after 6 months, after all, completely ignored the previous post... I mean, ... well, yeah...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 935 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.