Small RLV mechanics

Surssin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1146 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Greetings all. I'm a new player looking to enjoy the bondage side of SL as well as the community part. To that end, I let someone "own" me to get my first taste. Don't worry, I can stop it if I really want to, and I know the tricks to get out of it if it turns bad, or I never would have dove in so freely. But in toying with my gear and settings, I made a couple of slip-ups.

For one, I leashed myself to a post, but now I can't unleash. In a truly epic brain-fart moment, it didn't occur to me that I could put it on but not take it off. My owner last left me with restrictions on and I want to preserve those, but I'd like to unleash so I can run around the area within those restrictions. If I turn the RLV feature off (using Firestorm), remove the leash, and then turn it back on, will the other restrictions he has in place return? I JUST want to get rid of the leash I put on myself, but leave the rest as he last left me. Preferably without him getting any notifications about it.

Also, I accidentally removed the RLV drop-down menu along the top. I didn't know you could do that, but I can't find how to put it back.

Any ideas or thoughts on either topic?

Edited by Surssin

Turning RLV off to fix the leash could trigger "cheat detection", how that works and what it does varies from product to product (not all have). You might be lucky and the item has none.

Have you tried asking a friend or friendly passer-by if they can unleash you.

To put the RLVa menu back at the top. Advanced menu > RLVa > Develop > Show Top-level RLVa Menu

Edited by Coffee Pancake
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Turning RLV off to fix the leash could trigger "cheat detection", how that works and what it does varies from product to product (not all have). You might be lucky and the item has none.

Have you tried asking a friend or friendly passer-by if they can unleash you.

To put the RLVa menu back at the top. Advanced menu > RLVa > Develop > Show Top-level RLVa Menu

Thanks, that's got the menu issue. So that's one down. I'm unsure about triggering such a thing, but it would be nice to roam around when my owner wasn't the one who restricted that. Ya know what I mean? If he had, then it would be different.

I haven't made any friends yet, and I've had bad luck with passers by... erm... passing by. I was actually out here BECAUSE it seemed barely traveled, so I figured it was a chance to solo test a few bits, some of which were adult. I was found, and when the opportunity to be owned came up, I figured it was a good first test (and thus far has been). Also when I try to unleash, it says "Sorry, someone who outranks you on Surssin's collar leashed Surssin already." So I'm not sure if anyone but my owner could. Then again, I have no idea how such things work, so maybe they could.

If it helps, this is the collar I'm using. Been a pretty good first set for being free.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/GasLight-Cuffs-3980/5864975

25 minutes ago, Surssin said:

Thanks, that's got the menu issue. So that's one down. I'm unsure about triggering such a thing, but it would be nice to roam around when my owner wasn't the one who restricted that. Ya know what I mean? If he had, then it would be different.

I haven't made any friends yet, and I've had bad luck with passers by... erm... passing by. I was actually out here BECAUSE it seemed barely traveled, so I figured it was a chance to solo test a few bits, some of which were adult. I was found, and when the opportunity to be owned came up, I figured it was a good first test (and thus far has been). Also when I try to unleash, it says "Sorry, someone who outranks you on Surssin's collar leashed Surssin already." So I'm not sure if anyone but my owner could. Then again, I have no idea how such things work, so maybe they could.

If it helps, this is the collar I'm using. Been a pretty good first set for being free.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/GasLight-Cuffs-3980/5864975

This is just my personal opinion but I think it's always wise to set yourself first as owner before adding anyone else.  I think it's now under Vanilla?  

If I were you, I'd turn off rlv, log out and log back in. Explain to your owner what happened and why you shut it off.  If they take this as "cheating" and not just a humorous situation, I'd be rethinking the whole thing.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

This is just my personal opinion but I think it's always wise to set yourself first as owner before adding anyone else.  I think it's now under Vanilla?  

If I were you, I'd turn off rlv, log out and log back in. Explain to your owner what happened and why you shut it off.  If they take this as "cheating" and not just a humorous situation, I'd be rethinking the whole thing.  

Hm, fair point. I appreciate the perspective. He's been good so far so I think he'd understand.

Knowing there's always that safety line of being able to just turn the RLV off (that you can't get in real life bondage), I like the idea of being locked out of (or perhaps more correctly; into) my gear when my owner wants to do so. Then I'm stuck until they decide what happens. Wouldn't adding myself as an owner negate that? Again, if there wasn't an unblockable escape hatch always there if I decide to end a scene whether they like it or not, I'd never even consider such a crazy thing. Especially with free cuffs/collar, the risk seems minimal if at all.

51 minutes ago, Surssin said:

Hm, fair point. I appreciate the perspective. He's been good so far so I think he'd understand.

Knowing there's always that safety line of being able to just turn the RLV off (that you can't get in real life bondage), I like the idea of being locked out of (or perhaps more correctly; into) my gear when my owner wants to do so. Then I'm stuck until they decide what happens. Wouldn't adding myself as an owner negate that? Again, if there wasn't an unblockable escape hatch always there if I decide to end a scene whether they like it or not, I'd never even consider such a crazy thing. Especially with free cuffs/collar, the risk seems minimal if at all.

Since basically SL bondage is in the mind, it's how you behave that matters.  Whether you know you can release yourself or not is irrelevant IMO.  They can strap your avatar down and leave you for 1/2 hour but in reality, you can still get up and get a snack if you want.  It's RP.  It's how you choose to play the role that matters not some restrictions on a collar.  Even with yourself as owner, you're stuck if you choose to be.

I've never been locked out of my collar.  I've never allowed a restriction to my IMs or inventory.  That's my choice.  To me, the collar isn't even that important.  If your owner says don't respond to IMs, you doing so because you choose to seems more in keeping with RL bdsm.  Kneel because you choose to not because someone pushes a button on a HUD.  

Rlv can enhance the experience of course but it's the things you do without it that are more important.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1146 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.