Griefers, Invisible Spawning Objects, and Weird Scripted Radio Towers [Updated!]

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1139 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

Contact LL, there's a hint in what you've posted that reminds me of the time there were two giant letters rezzed in the sky that only Lab staff were able to remove. If there's a new exploit they will be able to glean some information from the scripts,.

I've had those. If you go up in the sky and can study where it might be rooted, sometimes you can return it but usually the Lindens have to with their powers to return any named object regardless of how it was rooted.

But yes, there are things they were not able to return. That does indeed sound scary. But eventually they have ways to return even the cunning unreturnables, setting a sim back in time or other means.

How can people put giant cut outs of their avatars on a lot? Because they have no taste or sense and I have to have my tenants either use tall trees or de-render. That is, they did this without exploits, just on their land.

The exploit things -- the towers -- are a lot harder but sometimes with the cooperation of people around you can all turn off object entry, etc. That means boats can't come on your river or a car from the road into their house driveway as a guest etc but you can always turn it back on later after things die down.

I personally do not stress about build being left on my land. Why? Because 99% of the time it's for the convenience of the tenants. They move in and rez right away without waiting for a landlord to wait on them. They have friends visit and rez. Most people are not griefers, and I refuse to build my rentals around griefers and the notion that you constantly look for digital and automatic means of controlling social problems.

The Lindens could solve this more globally if they banned certain viewers from their servers, which they could do and do do, when they have to. If they URl banned and hash banned people who grief and make alts, even better, but they, like you on the forums listen to this reasoning that involves your theoretical house mate and people in Iran or something. I mean, the Lindens have gotten less hippie with this stuff and that's why there's less griefing. Why is griefing on an unswing now? We could have a conversation about that another time.

People use Linden land as a safe haven and use the fact that sometimes it's on autoreturn as high as 5 or more minutes even more effectively. They rez something on a land that doesn't have build turned off but might have autoreturn and yes, push it on Linden Land where it shows as "other" on the prims for 5 long minutes, enough to spawn a lot of junk that lands and sticks somewhere.

Here is the solution to all griefing, and I don't care that you paid 50 cents a month for my rentals, and feel I am depriving you of actual money if I give you this advice:

LOG OFF

LOG OFF

LOG OFF

It's not that many griefers thrive on attention and "don't feed the trolls". Griefers evolve too and don't need attention and can be stealthy and brutal. But you can drink tea and watch YouTube for awhile that plays better online than it does in your Linden home.

If the Lindens value their game, they will get to it soon enough -- AR before you log off. Get 10 people to AR so the Lindens notice it, they don't otherwise.

ok Everybody raise your glasses! It's time to toast the hostess with the mostess, our very own Scylla! 🍷

Here's to the bull that roams these woods
and does our heifers so much good
If it weren't for him and his long rod
We'd have no beef steak by god!

Cheers!🥂

shes-right-behind-me-isnt-she-soon-42401
Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

ok Everybody raise your glasses! It's time to toast the hostess with the mostess, our very own Scylla! 🍷

Here's to the bull that roams these woods
and does out heifers so much good
If it weren't for him and his long rod
We'd have no beef steak by god!

Cheers!🥂

shes-right-behind-me-isnt-she-soon-42401

Right behind you . . . and facepalming like mad.

😏

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

A lady seductive and handsome

Became wedged in a hotel room transom.

When she offered much gold

For release she was told

That the view was worth more than the ransom.

Clearly in the days when hotel rooms had transoms....

Mothers knew there was more to it than wearing clean underwear in case you ended up in hospital. One never knows when one might end up in a hotel transom without enough gold to ransom your way into a handsome [cab]. 🤔

Wait. 

What? 🥴

😆 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, BelindaN said:

The boy stood on the burning deck

The flames were all a flicker

A flame ran up his trouser leg

And cost him half a knicker.

(Sorry)!!!

For those (possibly most) who don't get the cleverness of the last line, half a nicker was 10 shillings - half of £1, a pound being a nicker. These days half a nicker would be 50p.

Just thought I throw some light on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

UPDATE!

The mysterious tower is gone, presumably removed by LL, or removed automatically when autoreturn was set to 5 mins.

There's another building of the griefer nearby on another abandoned parcel (set down at the same time) still there. That land is still a free rez zone. But it doesn't have any scripts in it, so it doesn't appear to pose any kind of threat (even assuming the tower did), so I'm not going to worry about it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

presumably removed by LL, or removed automatically when autoreturn was set to 5 mins.

That'll be them either way, I think there's a Land Linden trots around overseeing all the abandoned land?. Somehow this has reminded me of "The coming of the great white handkerchief"

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

That'll be them either way, I think there's a Land Linden trots around overseeing all the abandoned land?. Somehow this has reminded me of "The coming of the great white handkerchief"

Well, said griefer and his behaviour certainly brings to my mind some form of bodily excrement.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1139 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.