Issue with "flickering" light

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1147 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, I don't know how to discribe the problem we have on our land: rather than every 10 seconds we see a "flickering"  (like a photoshoot flashlight) in one corner of our home in every level with every windlight.

I went crazy, because I can't find the cause of the flickering. Does anybody know this problem and how to solve it?

Thank you.

It could be a scripted* local light source. You can see an outline of all light sources with Develop / Render Metadata / Lights, but maybe first just to make sure it's that kind of light, try disabling it with Develop / Rendering / Disable Local Lights and see if the flickering stops.

[EDIT: I just tried the "Disable Local Lights" from the Develop menu and it doesn't seem to be as effective as the equivalent setting in Preferences / Graphics / Advanced, at least in Catznip. No idea why.]

Edited by Qie Niangao
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

*bling off

Sorry, it's late..goodnight

In fact, it's a possibility! I'd been thinking about it because I just recently scripted some lightning that (in addition to briefly emitting local light, among other things) generates a huge, very brief particle "bling" that very well might look "like a photoshoot flashlight" with a few parameter tweaks. Particles can't actually cast light on surrounding stuff, but they can be the equivalent of full bright. (Ribbon particles, specifically, can also change the rendering of everything behind them, which might be a very psychedelic flashlight effect.)

It's easy to find active particle emitters (World / Show Beacons / Particle sources) but as with local lights (also on the Beacons menu) they'll only show up when they are indeed active. Particles are a little special in that their invisible intervals are often built-in to the active particle system, in which case they might be a little easier to find.

On 3/4/2021 at 1:11 PM, Qie Niangao said:

It could be a scripted* local light source. You can see an outline of all light sources with Develop / Render Metadata / Lights, but maybe first just to make sure it's that kind of light, try disabling it with Develop / Rendering / Disable Local Lights and see if the flickering stops.

[EDIT: I just tried the "Disable Local Lights" from the Develop menu and it doesn't seem to be as effective as the equivalent setting in Preferences / Graphics / Advanced, at least in Catznip. No idea why.]

I need to try that because I have a suspicion that buildings made in the ancient days when you could choose "light" in a different way you can now, have strange things happen.

I have several that send up bursts of light, as if they are signaling to a satellite, in Refugio and Belarus. There are no particles in their prims. Yes, I know you can remove scripts and still have their function in them. So I use scrubber script. I take it in and out of inventory. I check every little prim a million times. I use "particle: source" and there is no beacon. Or I see a beacon, run to its source, and it's some other thing, and not THAT thing because I remove or delete it and the building is still sending up light bursts signaling to the Russians or extraterrestrial life forms. I want it to stop doing that.

Edited by Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1147 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.