Well, p00p! - Mainland issues.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1141 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello Community,

so finally I found a small oceanfront parcel. It was a paradise!
But my neighbor gave up his land and someone built a SL international airport on it. -___-

I know I can't really complain about it. Since the new owner bought abandoned land, which is good for LL.

I just wanted to share my "p00p! there it goes."-story.

Best,
Desi

537c0c928da5ff0e262aab77287b4199.jpg

• Sad 1

It can be disheartening, but you do have some options, and forgive me if you're already aware of them.

You could move, but it might be hard to find somewhere else like yours, since oceanfront parcels are in demand and very expensive.  On the other hand, your neighbour might be glad to pay you a high price for the extra space.

You could keep your draw distance down to minimum to avoid seeing it, but with a neighbour that close you might not be able to avoid the whole structure.

Derendering could be a hideously long task (not to contradict Janet, whose post crossed mine as this took so long to type).

There's something I actually dislike seeing, which is a flat parcel surround with a palm-tree texture or similar, but if it shields you from the hangars then it's worth considering.

The neighbour might decide to move, although once these structures are up they seem to stay.

You made a nice job with your parcel.

By the way, did you know there's a land forum a bit further down?  It has sections on discussing and buying of mainland parcels.  You might find that interesting.  It's here.

Edited by Garnet Psaltery

Well really, you could just derender the tall buildings and the airplanes. Leave the wall up.

It could be a lot worse. I have a neighbor that seems to have psychotic breaks and puts up weird flashing skyboxes, giant concrete walls in the middle of a waterway, etc. I just derender them, he does something normal like a grassy surround for about a week, then does something nutty again. Had to block him because he was also sending me weird stream of consciousness IMs. Besides him, my land is great!

Unless you're living next to some good stable neighbors (and that's rare), anything goes on the mainland.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dayvana Mocha said:

How to derender?

What viewer do you use? FIRESTORM?

(NOT "Firefox," which is my web browser of choice, and so always on my mind. You should use it too! It's open source, and full of crunchy goodness!)

If so, right click on an object, then choose "More" > "More" > "Derender". Then choose "Blacklist" (permanent) or "Temporary" (until you log out).

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
*#%##($#
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

What viewer do you use? Firefox?

If so, right click on an object, then choose "More" > "More" > "Derender". Then choose "Blacklist" (permanent) or "Temporary" (until you log out).

Firefox is a web browser.  The viewer is Firestorm.

9_9

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Anna Nova said:

Ya, mainland sucks these days.  That's why Laughable Lab doesn't get my tier any more.  Well that, and the lack of usable maps.

That's not an uncommon sentiment, and I understand it.

I love the mainland, though. I love booting around it, finding weird and wonderful little corners I didn't know existed, on my scooter.

Then again, I also like living in RL in the downtown of a very large city that is currently blanketed in black snow. What do I know, really?

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

That's not an uncommon sentiment, and I understand it.

I love the mainland, though. I love booting around it, finding weird and wonderful little corners I didn't know existed, on my scooter.

Then again, I also like living in RL in the downtown of a very large city that is currently blanketed in black snow. What do I know, really?

In RL, I can look out my window into the neighbors window so in SL, I like the isolation private estates afford me.  I usually choose green regions with mountains between parcels so whatever my neighbor chooses to put up, has no effect on my view.  Tall shrubs are on my list of things to do this summer in RL as putting up a mountain is not in the budget.

I've seen much worse. That said, as @Garnet Psalterymentioned, I'd set it for sale for slightly more than the asking price of my ideal waterfront parcel (hey, it's an excuse to go land-shopping!) on the off chance the airport needs prims or can be otherwise tempted to pay Way Too Much for this parcel. Probably won't work, but it's SL, so anything's possible.

• Like 1

As long as people stay within the rules (which shouldn't be hard, there aren't that many on the mainland), I'm fine with weird and ugly. Still trying to work out if the unfinished lion Jesus end of days neighbour left the build unfinished as a statement that the end of days is not yet upon us or whether they lost interest. But my place is a giant cake, so I'm not going to judge.

In the grand scheme of things it's far from the worst thing i've seen on mainland as long as they are keeping within their parcel boundary it wouldn't bother me i've had past and current neighbours not always in the same region think it acceptable to ignore their parcel boundaries and extend their prims wherever they want or put particle griefers as close to my property as they can get. They never lasted too long before packing up and going elsewhere 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1141 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.